Photo
- - - - -

Mike Milbury - The Loafer Incident

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

Poll: Mike Milbury - The Loafer Incident

Was Mike Milbury justified in striking a fan with a loafer?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 RedWingsDad

RedWingsDad

Bigot

• Restricted
  • PipPip
  • 437 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 10:18 AM

Beating a man with his own loafer is no trifling matter. Let us examine the evidence to determine if this act was justified...

Video Evidence:

if you look exactly at the 10 second mark you will see that the ultimate victim of the loafer beating punches a Bruin player (#24), one Terry O'Reilly, in the head approximately 6 times:

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=sjupnYB5vUI

What did civil court have to say on the matter?

The offending fan was fined $500 and sentenced to six months in jail. A million dollar lawsuit was filed against the NHL, but later on, folded.

What did the NHL have to say on the matter?

NHL president John Ziegler suspended O'Reilly for eight games and McNab and Milbury for six, with each being fined $500.

Milbury's thoughts on the matter:

"It's unbelievable that after more than 30 years in the game, pummeling a guy with his loafer will be my legacy. But I guess it's better than having no legacy at all."

Loafer victims thoughts on the matter:

"I have started a charity to raise awareness on the dangers of wearing loafers while acting like a total wiener - if it happened to me, it could happen to you too!"

What started it?

Al Secord gave an interview with a Finnish sports outfit. He basically said simply that team captain Terry O’Reilly was hit on the bench by a spectator. O’Reilly along with Stan Jonathan went to the stands. One guy tried to escape…somehow taken back by the angry Bruins coming for him, but McNab caught him from behind. Al Secord himself went to pummel the guy, and Milbury came over and beat the man with his own loafer. (http://www.hockeybuz...66#.UffWxUnq1hE)

_

There you have it - was the loafer beating justified? I'll let you be the judge.

Edited by RedWingsDad, 30 July 2013 - 10:22 AM.

Tim Thomas - Patriot and generally awesome human being.

Romans 10:13 - For whoever calls on the name of the Lord shall be saved.

#2 55fan

55fan

All mine 'til 2-0-1-9

• HoF Booster
  • 12,922 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 03:17 PM

People should not be struck by their own loafers.  The attacker should come prepared and/or there should be loafer venders in the aisles. 

That said, if you get in a fight with hockey players, be glad you got it with a loafer and not a fist, although if you're wearing loafers to a hockey game, you probably couldn't take the fist anyway.

#3 RedWingsDad

RedWingsDad

Bigot

• Restricted
  • PipPip
  • 437 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 09:21 AM

People should not be struck by their own loafers.  The attacker should come prepared and/or there should be loafer venders in the aisles. 

That said, if you get in a fight with hockey players, be glad you got it with a loafer and not a fist, although if you're wearing loafers to a hockey game, you probably couldn't take the fist anyway.

I think loafer venders is a good idea. The Bruins fans could throw loafers on the ice in much the same way the Wings fans throw octopai.

Tim Thomas - Patriot and generally awesome human being.

Romans 10:13 - For whoever calls on the name of the Lord shall be saved.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users