• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#21 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 12:18 AM

It is really eye opening to see the different levels of talent between 03 and now. Even our best player today are not as good as our top guys then. But that is part of the reason why we are going downhill and it has been 5 years since our last cup. We really need Mantha and the next couple of years 1st rounders to turn out.

Guess what? The salary cap didn't exist back then, and Detroit could spend more than almost any other team.

Agree.  After the '97 Cup Scotty said "We got a little less pretty and a little more gritty", or words to that effect.  I think that right NOW, we are pretty enough, if we can get a little gritty, then we are golden.  Especially in the east. 

Yeah, it's a good thing we got rid of that scrub Lidstrom. He wasn't gritty at all.

#22 55fan

55fan

All mine 'til 2-0-1-9

• HoF Booster
  • 12,894 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 01:11 AM

With Flip gone, the pretty factor took a nose-dive.

Oh, well.  As long as pretty isn't replaced by something else that rhymes with gritty.

The problem with looking at the past is that nostalgia tends to be rose-coloured.  We look back at the greats from that time and remember how great they were in their best moments.  And, man, those were some seriously great moments.

Ten years from now, we'll look back and think about Pav and Z and we won't remember the first round exits.  We'll remember the '08 cup.  Hopefully we'll have a few more cups to remember from those two.

The 2003 team was a bunch of superstars who figured out how to work together and do it well.  They were great, but the best thing about the 2003 team was what they did in 2002.  I'd still take them back in a heartbeat if they could be restored to their 2003 form.

#23 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,164 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 08:54 AM

With Flip gone, the pretty factor took a nose-dive.

Oh, well.  As long as pretty isn't replaced by something else that rhymes with gritty.

The problem with looking at the past is that nostalgia tends to be rose-coloured.  We look back at the greats from that time and remember how great they were in their best moments.  And, man, those were some seriously great moments.

Ten years from now, we'll look back and think about Pav and Z and we won't remember the first round exits.  We'll remember the '08 cup.  Hopefully we'll have a few more cups to remember from those two.

The 2003 team was a bunch of superstars who figured out how to work together and do it well.  They were great, but the best thing about the 2003 team was what they did in 2002.  I'd still take them back in a heartbeat if they could be restored to their 2003 form.

Yzerman still wouldn't be able to skate if he wad in 2003 form

#24 55fan

55fan

All mine 'til 2-0-1-9

• HoF Booster
  • 12,894 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 09:35 AM

Yzerman still wouldn't be able to skate if he wad in 2003 form

Ok, then.  I'll take a 1990's Yzerman, hold the mustard.

#25 The Secret

The Secret

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,199 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 10:10 AM

#26 Marty Barry

Marty Barry

Buzkashi Grandmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,379 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 03:47 PM

Guess what? The salary cap didn't exist back then, and Detroit could spend more than almost any other team.

Yeah, it's a good thing we got rid of that scrub Lidstrom. He wasn't gritty at all.

I hope you don't think that I was taking shots at our skill players, especially Nick.  My post wasn't meant to be inciteful at all.  I was just agreeing with what Scotty said years ago.  Sorry if I came off sounding like a knucklehead, well I am one but...

#27 Nev

Nev

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,050 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 12:53 AM

They were great, but the best thing about the 2003 team was what they did in 2002.

Hahaha, so true! :lol:

"If I can be totally honest, it's not a lot of guys you get impressed by. Actually, it's no one else but him. From the bench, to see what move he makes -- you're like, 'I wish I could do that.' Sometimes you sit on the bench and just think, 'wow,' and you look over to the other bench and they sit there and shake their heads, too. He has great, great skills. I'm probably not going to play with another player who has the kind of skills he has." Mikael Samuelsson on Pavel Datsyuk