• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

DyingAlive

Buying First Wings Sweater - Advice wanted

Rate this topic

Fellow Wings fans, I need your advice.

First and foremost, recommendations on where to buy the jersey? I do not live anywhere near Michigan, so, online retailers only. NHL.com seems to be a major rip off. The two places I have found are IceJersey.com and SportsK.com. Any others?

Secondly, because this will most likely be the only jersey I intend on purchasing for quite some time, I am looking for a player that will be around for awhile. I have eliminated Datsyuk as it seems he only has 3 years max left in Detroit. To be honest, I am really looking at either Zetterberg or Nyquist. Z has 5 years left on his contract so I would say that is a pretty solid life for a jersey. Nyquist is a bit riskier just because he hasn't really played as much. Though I think we all liked what we saw from him towards the end of the year.

I know its personal opinion really, but I wanted fellow Wing's fans thoughts on the subject matter. To all signs point to Nyquist being a long time Red Wing?

I would personally recommend sportsk. Good pricing+sewn on letters. I've bought a few from them & they're going to be my first stop on any new ones. As far as which player to get, if you're going Nyquist, I would probably wait to order until the start of the regular season since the Wings still need to trim the roster by at least 2 forwards. Doubt one of them would be Nyquist via trade, but I would want to make sure before dropping money on a jersey personally. Now if I were in the market for a new one right now & wanted one of the youngsters, I would probably go with DeKeyser myself.

SportsK.com comes highly recommended from several LGW'ers, myself included. I've bought no less than 8 jerseys from them, and have never been anything but 100% satisfied. They have superb customer service, great pricing, and they sell fully licensed products (read: no Chinese knockoffs).

As far as who to get, I can't really help much there. Z is probably your best bet for "long term" value. Goose is still an RFA, so it's safe to assume his next contract will be at least 2 years. Probably wont sign a deal longer than 3-4 years, since this will only be his 2nd NHL contract.

Now if I were in the market for a new one right now & wanted one of the youngsters, I would probably go with DeKeyser myself.

Agreed. DeKeyser would be the first "youngster" jersey on my list, though top of my list right now would probably be Helm, followed by Kronwall.

Just chiming in to say that I've also had great experiences with SportsK.

As for who to get, I can't help you--but if you're looking for longevity, I would wait to pull the trigger on any of the youngsters until we get the cap sitch figured out...

I would wait until the season starts to get a youngster jersey. I think I read somewhere that Nyquist might not stay with 14 and there seems to be a lot of number shuffling going on in the organization at present so I'd hold off until the season starts. Sporksk is the way to go.

I would wait until the season starts to get a youngster jersey. I think I read somewhere that Nyquist might not stay with 14 and there seems to be a lot of number shuffling going on in the organization at present so I'd hold off until the season starts. Sportsk is the way to go.

Guest The Axe

Ive got a ccm Zetts jersey. No A or C on it, but great condition. PM me if interested.

The first thing I would think about if your anything like me I can't buy a lot of different jerseys so you want to pick a guy that's not only a favorite wing but one you feel will be around a while. Then check the internet out look around different site will be cheaper at different times do you want the real thing or will a replica satisfy you huge price difference

If you do buy off NHL.com use this promo code "NHLE" to get 30% off and free shipping off your entire order!!!!!

It is the code for nhl employes and it works totally fine if your not an employe

Trust me I'm not an employe and I've used it several times

Enjoy

Edited by Detroith99

Don't ignore Hudler's jersey. It is a classic !

Jokes aside. Detroit athletic co is good. Real stuff, good service and also help the local economy a little.

Personally I would get a name that has a well established positive impact on the team. Any of the HOF'ers would be good, or other guys that already have established themselves as Wings like Zetterberg, Datsyuk, Holmstrom, Chelios, Shanahan (and on and on... very long list of REALLY good players). Some of the young guys are really exciting, but I would feel bad about buying a DeKeyser one if he ends up being traded in a couple of years, especially if you don't have a lot of cash.

Once I made the mistake to get a Harrington jersey. He had just signed, and I was excited and figured I'd get it to support the team. I wore it to a Lions game after he was gone and was yelled at the whole afternoon, which really ruined the game for me. I always wear my Yzerman sweater to Wings games, and ALWAYS get positive reactions. Not that I get these things for other people's reactions, but it's a heck of a lot better way to attend games.

If money is part of the reason why you don't know which one to get, I'd get one with a name that will always be good at the Joe, that you will always be able to wear with pride. Get your "always good" one in the closet, so you'll never feel like you've made a bad purchase.

If you want to go cheap you can always buy one from China for about $30. Sites selling them do not seem to stay under the same domain name for long (my guess would be that NHL is fighting them), but there is always one of them around.

I thought the same thing back in 94 when I was trying to decide between Lidstrom and Konstantinov. I chose Konstantinov. Lidstrom is having his number retired. Vlad should too, if you ask me.

Guest The Axe

I thought the same thing back in 94 when I was trying to decide between Lidstrom and Konstantinov. I chose Konstantinov. Lidstrom is having his number retired. Vlad should too, if you ask me.

My best jersey is a red Fischer. I should make it a Smith.

I've been wanting a new Wings jersey for years now. But honestly, I just can't bring myself to "retire" my red CCM Yzerman jersey. Got it summer of 2001 and it still fits great. And Stevie was my idol for my entire childhood and is my favorite player of all time. Sucks he's with Tampa now, but I just can't hang up my #19, and never will. Although I do want a white one as well, so I guess I could just alternate between the two. And for me it's a no-brainer to get #13. Despite the fact that most likely he'll retire from the NHL in 4 years, he's such an epic/magical player and a huge reason for our continued success. Not to mention has never worn another sweater in his career. Pavel bleeds Red Wing red. And I will rock his jersey proudly years after his retirement, just like I do with Yzerman.

Guest The Axe

I've been wanting a new Wings jersey for years now. But honestly, I just can't bring myself to "retire" my red CCM Yzerman jersey. Got it summer of 2001 and it still fits great. And Stevie was my idol for my entire childhood and is my favorite player of all time. Sucks he's with Tampa now, but I just can't hang up my #19, and never will. Although I do want a white one as well, so I guess I could just alternate between the two. And for me it's a no-brainer to get #13. Despite the fact that most likely he'll retire from the NHL in 4 years, he's such an epic/magical player and a huge reason for our continued success. Not to mention has never worn another sweater in his career. Pavel bleeds Red Wing red. And I will rock his jersey proudly years after his retirement, just like I do with Yzerman.

Get a white Emmerton. That would be rad.

I have a red Kronwall and a white (game-worn) Lang. When I go to games, I make my mother wear the Lang. No one yells at a 70-year-old lady.

I agree that Pasha, Z, and Kronner are the most likely to remain with the team (she said as we commemorate the 25th anniversary of The Trade). The classics- Mac, Lids, Stevie, Vladdie, etc.- are always a sure bet as well.

It comes down to whether you want to swim with the herd or fly against the current.

If you choose the latter, get Andersson. I always have to remind myself who he is when I see his name.

Guest The Axe

SportsK is legit, from what I've heard.

I want a McCarty, Draper, or Maltby jersey.

Get them all and peel the grind line off one intermission at a time! You might get hot for the first 2 periods, but you will be the talk of your section.