• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
cusimano_brothers

The Trade at 25.

Rate this topic

It's hard to believe that it's been twenty-five years!

Starting this Monday, TSN will devote the week to "SportsCentre Presents: The Trade at 25". The link leads you to the upcoming programming, with an overview of what's in store on each day.

This was easily one of the biggest NHL stories to ever happen. It changed the landscape, from both the player's and the owner's view, the way the "business" is run, for better or worse.

Have your Kleenex ready.

Guest Playmaker

Will these be aired online at all? Would love to see them.

Especially interested in hearing about Jimmy Carson. It's odd how he played so well under the pressure of being traded for Wayne Gretzky, but then totally fizzled out coming home to Detroit.

You guys should check out the ESPN 30 for 30 documentary on "The Trade". Gretsky completely absolves the Edmonton organization and admits that he was chasing the money and put them in a situation in which they couldn't possibly have re-signed him. As such, what else could they have done?

Guest The Axe

You guys should check out the ESPN 30 for 30 documentary on "The Trade". Gretsky completely absolves the Edmonton organization and admits that he was chasing the money and put them in a situation in which they couldn't possibly have re-signed him. As such, what else could they have done?

Fedorovize Gretz? No way.

I second this. It's on Netflix and is an interesting quick watch.

Guest Crymson

I was four years old at the time, and working on my second doctoral thesis in physics. I was just on the verge of finally completing the Theory of Everything, and then I saw this trade. It shook me so much that I forgot everything I was working on and became a normal four-year-old.

I was four years old at the time, and working on my second doctoral thesis in physics. I was just on the verge of finally completing the Theory of Everything, and then I saw this trade. It shook me so much that I forgot everything I was working on and became a normal four-year-old.

You had me going until the part about becoming normal. :P

25 years. Dang. Back in the days when Edmonton was the dynasty and the Wings.... weren't.

Guest The Axe

Gretz was gonna be a grind liner. Good thing he went to LA. McCarty-Gretzky-Maltby.

Guest Playmaker

That's what players with class and leadership do. They take the blame and responsibility.

Weren't the Red Wings and Kings the front runners for the Gretzky trade?

Apparently yes. From what I remember, Gretzky was talking to his old man Walter and he was debating and his dad told him that LA would be more of a challenge cause the Wings already had Yzerman and blah blah even though in 88 we didn't even have Lids, Vladdy, Fedorov, Lapointe etc to make the Wings the powerhouse they became. Who knows how that would have changed history. Maybe the Wings finish higher and don't get all the guys in the 90/91 draft including Lids and quite frankly, I'd give up Gretzky for a career of Lidstrom who won 4 Cups in his career and Gretzky never won it again since leaving the Oilers. Better to have the 4 Cups than some "what if" scenarios.

Apparently yes. From what I remember, Gretzky was talking to his old man Walter and he was debating and his dad told him that LA would be more of a challenge cause the Wings already had Yzerman and blah blah even though in 88 we didn't even have Lids, Vladdy, Fedorov, Lapointe etc to make the Wings the powerhouse they became. Who knows how that would have changed history. Maybe the Wings finish higher and don't get all the guys in the 90/91 draft including Lids and quite frankly, I'd give up Gretzky for a career of Lidstrom who won 4 Cups in his career and Gretzky never won it again since leaving the Oilers. Better to have the 4 Cups than some "what if" scenarios.

Lids was a 3rd round pick/53rd overall. So who knows. We probably still would have gotten him, it doesn't appear that there was a lot of interest or buzz around him on draft day

Guest The Axe

Lids was a 3rd round pick/53rd overall. So who knows. We probably still would have gotten him, it doesn't appear that there was a lot of interest or buzz around him on draft day

Lids became a pimp when he put the wheel on.