37 replies to this topic

#21 achildr1

achildr1

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,021 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 09:39 AM

More like Probert - Gretzky - Kocur

Probert gets 35 goals and 80 points. Still leads league in PIMs.

#22 Mitchmac33

Mitchmac33

Come on son!

• PipPip
  • 427 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 06:10 PM

sooooooo does anyone know if these will be online anywhere?

#23 Z Winged Dangler

Z Winged Dangler

Part 3: Return of the Hammer Hands

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,219 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 01:00 PM

Weren't the Red Wings and Kings the front runners for the Gretzky trade?  

Apparently yes.  From what I remember, Gretzky was talking to his old man Walter and he was debating and his dad told him that LA would be more of a challenge cause the Wings already had Yzerman and blah blah even though in 88 we didn't even have Lids, Vladdy, Fedorov, Lapointe etc to make the Wings the powerhouse they became.  Who knows how that would have changed history.  Maybe the Wings finish higher and don't get all the guys in the 90/91 draft including Lids and quite frankly, I'd give up Gretzky for a career of Lidstrom who won 4 Cups in his career and Gretzky never won it again since leaving the Oilers.  Better to have the 4 Cups than some "what if" scenarios.

"I play hockey, but I am not very good.  Can someone please tell me what it would take to sign with the Wings ? I can use a million or two."  ~ arag

Dan Cleary is an Xbox 360.  While good for a while, it's time for the new generation to take over.

#24 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,904 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 02:03 PM

Apparently yes.  From what I remember, Gretzky was talking to his old man Walter and he was debating and his dad told him that LA would be more of a challenge cause the Wings already had Yzerman and blah blah even though in 88 we didn't even have Lids, Vladdy, Fedorov, Lapointe etc to make the Wings the powerhouse they became.  Who knows how that would have changed history.  Maybe the Wings finish higher and don't get all the guys in the 90/91 draft including Lids and quite frankly, I'd give up Gretzky for a career of Lidstrom who won 4 Cups in his career and Gretzky never won it again since leaving the Oilers.  Better to have the 4 Cups than some "what if" scenarios.

Lids was a 3rd round pick/53rd overall. So who knows. We probably still would have gotten him, it doesn't appear that there was a lot of interest or buzz around him on draft day

#25 The Axe

The Axe

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 10:59 PM

Lids was a 3rd round pick/53rd overall. So who knows. We probably still would have gotten him, it doesn't appear that there was a lot of interest or buzz around him on draft day

Lids became a pimp when he put the wheel on.

#26 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,904 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 04:43 AM

Lids became a pimp when he put the wheel on.

When did I ever say lids did not play well? I said there was very little interest in him from other teams or else he would have been picked higher. We either got really lucky waiting till the third round for him or no one knew about him at all

#27 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,615 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 12:02 PM

The fact that the other owners hated Bruce McNall following the negotiation of Gretzky's first contract in Los Angeles is funny.

"Mess up tomorrow, don't mess up now".

- Harry James Benson, CBE.

#28 St. Michael (the Red Wing)

St. Michael (the Red Wing)

Heavenly With the Puck

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,822 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 12:15 PM

I grew up in California and the Great One trade was substantial on all levels.

Honestly believe Gretzky was the main cause (just for popularity purposes) for San Jose and Anaheim getting NHL teams. 

I played roller hockey before ice hockey and probably have to thank Gretzky for that too.

As probably every kid in California in the late 80's who played some sort of hockey should thank the Great One.

Edited by St. Michael (the Red Wing), 08 August 2013 - 12:16 PM.

#29 DatsyukDangles13

DatsyukDangles13

Prospect

• 33 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 07:59 PM

Gretzky deserved every penny he was given.

Follow my friend and I on a 90 day road trip to 60 sports games!  Check out the website http://www.thebandwagoners.com.

Follow us on twitter: https://twitter.com/Band_Wagoners and like us on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/bwagoners

#30 The Axe

The Axe

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 08:22 PM

I grew up in California and the Great One trade was substantial on all levels.

Honestly believe Gretzky was the main cause (just for popularity purposes) for San Jose and Anaheim getting NHL teams. 

I played roller hockey before ice hockey and probably have to thank Gretzky for that too.

As probably every kid in California in the late 80's who played some sort of hockey should thank the Great One.

And Bernie Nicholls too.

#31 St. Michael (the Red Wing)

St. Michael (the Red Wing)

Heavenly With the Puck

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,822 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 08:49 PM

And Bernie Nicholls too.

Eh as good as Nicholls was he didn't bring the hype nor have the impact that Gretzky brought to LA and the state of Cali.

One of my more memorable NHL games that I was at was watching the Great One tie Howe's goal scoring mark at 801 in San Jose. I'll never forget that crazy game.

#32 number9

number9

All The Best Players Wear A 9

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,907 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 12:25 AM

The Canucks were in on it too

The best pick was LA IMO, Great state to really bring hockey too. Good for the sport. Was meant to be really. Owners sent the message *anyone can be traded* *heres what happens when you chase money* and California grew tremendously as a hockey state

#33 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,615 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 06:57 AM

Twenty-five years ago today:

1297451657142_ORIGINAL.jpg?quality=80&si

This was to be expected from the Toronto Sun.

"Mess up tomorrow, don't mess up now".

- Harry James Benson, CBE.

#34 The Axe

The Axe

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 11:05 AM

The best pick was LA IMO, Great state to really bring hockey too. Good for the sport. Was meant to be really. Owners sent the message *anyone can be traded* *heres what happens when you chase money* and California grew tremendously as a hockey state

And the Oil won another one.

#35 toby91_ca

toby91_ca

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 8,519 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 11:05 AM

Was listening to Peter Pocklington on the radio yesterday (Oilers former owner for those that didn't know), and he suggested that the gate revenue for the LA Kings didn't double the year after Gretzky arrived, didn't triple, didn't quadruple, wasn't 5X, but increase 6 fold.

#36 Z Winged Dangler

Z Winged Dangler

Part 3: Return of the Hammer Hands

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,219 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 12:34 PM

Gretzky deserved every penny he was given.

The only number you need to back that argument is 2587.

"I play hockey, but I am not very good.  Can someone please tell me what it would take to sign with the Wings ? I can use a million or two."  ~ arag

Dan Cleary is an Xbox 360.  While good for a while, it's time for the new generation to take over.

#37 Z and D for the C

Z and D for the C

This is the TBL forum, right?

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,035 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 12:54 PM

It's crazy how time flies.

I mean, I can't believe this was almost 6 years ago now.

Just cause you look like the gimp don't mean you play like the gimp!

#38 The Axe

The Axe

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 01:56 PM

We need to trade Sammy, Bert, and Tootoo. We could call that "The Dump".