• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
unsaddleddonald

So the consensus on Shanny's #14 is a no?

Rate this topic

Oh, and I should add that pretty much every vet is reported to have clashed with Babcock over the years. Remember when Hull said Pav wasn't going to re-sign with the Wings cos he hated Babcock? And then Pav re-signed with the Wings.....

Oh, and I should add that pretty much every vet is reported to have clashed with Babcock over the years. Remember when Hull said Pav wasn't going to re-sign with the Wings cos he hated Babcock? And then Pav re-signed with the Wings.....

This is what I remember as well--I thought Shanny had issues with Babs and that was one of the reasons he chose to leave...

To me, trying to parse through details of what happened with Shanahan in 2005 or Fedorov in 2003 is missing the forest for the trees. By that point, both of those players had won multiple Cups for this team, and were in the waning phases of their careers. I throw up in my mouth a little bit every time somebody cites the "_____ isn't good of a guy as Lidstrom/Yzerman" or "I don't know how much it would mean to _____ to retire their #" arguments. Under that logic, Sawchuk (who was not a perfect human being, nor did he have a great relationship with the Wings at all times) wouldn't have gotten his number retired long after he died, since it obviously doesn't "mean anything" to a guy who isn't alive.

I think both Shanahan and Fedorov are potentially deserving of having their number retired, but you CANNOT have Shanny and not Fedorov. Fedorov was a Hart-caliber player, and it was he and Lidstrom that made this into a pernnial Playoff team. Yzerman, for how great he was, was a one-man offensive show for years on a team that wasn't all that good. You can't put Shanny in the rafters as a reward for showing up in October 1996 and capping off a nearly-finished product...while ignoring what Sergei Fedorov was a part of for SIX seasons before that, including making the Playoffs every year and a Cup Final in '95.

I would feel legitimately sick if this organization spent years tooting its own horn as the "United Nations" of hockey clubs, celebrating the Russian Five, and the first European captain to win the Cup, but then pisses all over Fedorov's legacy because he's Russian and left in free agency at a time when he only had one good year left in him anyway. The Wings basically stole him from Russia at the Goodwill Games as a teenager, and he gave us 13 of the best seasons ever to be a Wings fan. All the rest of it is just crap. Shanny and Fedorov, or neither.

Edited by StormJH1

I thought he left because they wouldn't make him captain. I could be wrong though, but if true his number shouldn't be retired

I thought he left cause he didn't think he fit in with the Wings future plans. That and he wanted to be in NYC to prepare for his next career that he's currwntly in.

Guest Crymson

And then there was Strickland's report that the Wings' locker room was going to "collapse" by Christmas in 2006 because of Babcock. Yep.

If you need an indication that it's not happening, it's that 14 has been on other players' backs already.

I am sure you can cite historical instances where that rule doesn't hold true, but you sure as hell know no one would have dared wear number 5 last season. If it's not obvious like that, it's not happening.

Yes, the bar is very high, not a lifetime Wing, changed sides and is working on destroying the game for the league.

Easily an HHoFer but not one deserving to hang there with Develchio, Howe, Y, Lindsay

Sent from my BlackBerry

Edited by frankgrimes

If you need an indication that it's not happening, it's that 14 has been on other players' backs already.

I am sure you can cite historical instances where that rule doesn't hold true, but you sure as hell know no one would have dared wear number 5 last season. If it's not obvious like that, it's not happening.

Exactly. Can't take it away from nyquist

Name one that Delvechhio won.

Ok, here's his Wikipedia page summarized down to the reasons he is up there and Shanny won't be. Bolded areas are of particular distinction.

He would go on to excel both at centre and left wing for twenty-two full seasons and parts of two others, and was notable for his spot on the Production line. No player except Nicklas Lidström in NHL history played more games with just the one team. One of the true gentlemen in the game of hockey, he was a three-time winner of the Lady Byng Trophy for combining good sportsmanship with excellence on the ice.

Following his retirement as a player in 1973—having, at the time, played the second most games and with the second highest assist and point totals in league history

At the time of his retirement, he ranked second in nearly every significant offensive category in Red Wings history behind only Howe. He has since been passed in most of those categories by Steve Yzerman, but only Howe and Lidström have played more games as a Red Wing.

So besides the 3 Lady Byngs and being basically the second greatest non-goaltending Red Wing (behind his linemate Gordie Freakin' Howe) until Yzerman and Lidstrom finished their careers he has no other reason to be up there.

Edited by Wings_Dynasty

Ok, here's his Wikipedia page summarized down to the reasons he is up there and Shanny won't be. Bolded areas are of particular distinction.

So besides the 3 Lady Byngs and being basically the second greatest non-goaltending Red Wing (behind his linemate Gordie Freakin' Howe) until Yzerman and Lidstrom finished their careers he has no other reason to be up there.

If I could like this 100 times I would!!

LOL I'm not saying that Shanahan deserves to be up there as much as Delvechhio does, but you came in here with one weak argument as to why he shouldn't have his number retired and you felt that was sufficient enough. You implied that simple because he didn't have any personal hardware he shouldn't be considered? K.....

There are plenty of arguments against him, but to use one weak one is short sighted...

Edited by unsaddleddonald

Yes, the bar is very high, not a lifetime Wing, changed sides and is working on destroying the game for the league.

Easily an HHoFer but not one deserving to hang there with Develchio, Howe, Y, Lindsay

Sent from my BlackBerry

I wouldn't say he is working to destroy the league. He is trying to take illegal hits out of it. He is merely a figure head, there is a group that determines the suspensions, not just shanahan. I also believe the league won't let him give out as many suspensions and as long as he wants them to be, for well deserved suspensions. Mind that is me just speculating, but as far as changing the actual game, that is on bettman

Anytime that there is even a debate whether someone's number should be retired I feel like they shouldn't be up.

definitely agree with this.. that and any time a number isn't retired in the first few years, I don't think it should be.

should be a no brainer to get into the rafters.. not an "ehhh.. we'll see...." type of decision.