• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
unsaddleddonald

So the consensus on Shanny's #14 is a no?

Rate this topic

Guest Crymson

I wouldn't say he is working to destroy the league. He is trying to take illegal hits out of it. He is merely a figure head, there is a group that determines the suspensions, not just shanahan. I also believe the league won't let him give out as many suspensions and as long as he wants them to be, for well deserved suspensions. Mind that is me just speculating, but as far as changing the actual game, that is on bettman

While I am sure that his decisions are subject to modification by the higher-ups, the Director or Player Safety technically determines the suspensions on his own.

While I am sure that his decisions are subject to modification by the higher-ups, the Director or Player Safety technically determines the suspensions on his own.

Ya but if you recall when he first started he was very ambitious, and handed out a lot of suspensions. So wither he stopped caring or someone curbed his enthusiasm

Nyquist wore 89 while in college. Lots of Wings young guns have different numbers for their first year or 2 and change them. Homer is an example, Franzen I believe and possibly Flip wore 41?

Homer was a different story. But you're right still, however I think nyquist looks much better in 14 than 89

Nyquist wore 89 while in college. Lots of Wings young guns have different numbers for their first year or 2 and change them. Homer is an example, Franzen I believe and possibly Flip wore 41?

Wouldn't mind seeing Nyquist switch back to his college number at all which would be the first #89 in Wings history. If not for the Weiss signing, it really looked like Tatar wanted to switch back to 90 too.

Guest Crymson

Ya but if you recall when he first started he was very ambitious, and handed out a lot of suspensions. So wither he stopped caring or someone curbed his enthusiasm

He handed out suspensions early in an effort to make a statement. Unfortunately, his credibility lasted for about half a season. In my mind, it evaporated completely in his first playoffs in office. He first failed to suspend Weber for a headshot that could not possibly have been more blatant, reasoning that it would have been improper to suspend a star player for even a single game in the playoffs, and two weeks later he suspended Giroux for a borderline hit on Zubrus.

Many people had high hopes for Shanahan after suffering through years of Colin Campbell's ineptitude and infuriating inconsistency; but I think it's generally agreed upon by hockey fans that he, too, is terrible at his job. The only substantive thing he has brought to the table over his predecessor is his explanation videos, and that's not much.

Edited by Crymson

Well, we could be like NJ and do Konstantinov, Draper, Maltby, Holmstrom, Fedorov, Osgood, Vernon, McCarty, Chelios/Probert, Larionov, and Fetisov. Those guys were all in the same category as or more important than Daneyko.

The Devils moved to Jersey in the 80's. The Wings have been around since the 30's.

Do I really need to explain why a Daneyko type player would get retired by the Devils but not the Wings?

Wouldn't mind seeing Nyquist switch back to his college number at all which would be the first #89 in Wings history. If not for the Weiss signing, it really looked like Tatar wanted to switch back to 90 too.

I like high numbers. I wore 90 for quite a while cause no one on the Wings wore it, and then playing for the Winnipeg base hockey team I snagged 19 as a rookie :lol: . Been wearing that since I joined the military aside from the last 2 injury plagued years....

On topic from my little story, I hope Gus takes 89 to training camp now that he's "on the team" to say the least. I'm really waiting to see if they let Frk take 91 when he makes his way up here. I have a feeling he'll be up after 1 year in GR and he'll make us not miss Brunner so much. I see him being more of an impact player than Pulkkinen (similar player style).

As for Shanny and Fedorov, I agree fully with the ring of honour type deal. have the Wings crest with their name engraved on one side of the band and their number on the other.

The Devils moved to Jersey in the 80's. The Wings have been around since the 30's.

Do I really need to explain why a Daneyko type player would get retired by the Devils but not the Wings?

They couldn't wait to raise a couple numbers up so they just blew their wad? Bleewaaaahhhhh! DAneykO!!!

Guest The Axe

Homer was a different story. But you're right still, however I think nyquist looks much better in 14 than 89

Bet ya Andersson is #18 this year.

Yes, the bar is very high, not a lifetime Wing, changed sides and is working on destroying the game for the league.

Easily an HHoFer but not one deserving to hang there with Develchio, Howe, Y, Lindsay

Neither was Howe, neither was Lindsay, neither was Sawchuck.....

I agree that Shanny doesn't deserve to go up, but the not-a-lifetime-wing thing is bogus.

Guest Crymson

Neither was Howe, neither was Lindsay, neither was Sawchuck.....

I agree that Shanny doesn't deserve to go up, but the not-a-lifetime-wing thing is bogus.

It's a necessity for modern-era jersey retirements.

They couldn't wait to raise a couple numbers up so they just blew their wad? Bleewaaaahhhhh! DAneykO!!!

I think that the retirement of Bourque's number in Colorado takes the cake for most absurd, and his was the organization's first retired number. He played a whopping 128 games for the Avalanche.

I think that the retirement of Bourque's number in Colorado takes the cake for most absurd, and his was the organization's first retired number. He played a whopping 128 games for the Avalanche.

They wanted to get the ball rolling lol

I took it as a dissing of the Bruins' miserly ways at the time. It could also have been viewed as disrespectful to the guys who spent a much longer time there that deserved it (such as Sakic, Forsberg, Roy) by setting the bar for retirement so seemingly low. He did not play there nearly long enough, and it reeks of the franchise being desperate to put a number in the rafters. Borque may have won a Cup with the slush, but I'd think that the vast majority of hockey fans consider him a Bruin.

I took it as a dissing of the Bruins' miserly ways at the time. It could also have been viewed as disrespectful to the guys who spent a much longer time there that deserved it (such as Sakic, Forsberg, Roy) by setting the bar for retirement so seemingly low. He did not play there nearly long enough, and it reeks of the franchise being desperate to put a number in the rafters. Borque may have won a Cup with the slush, but I'd think that the vast majority of hockey fans consider him a Bruin.

Ya... I was joking

Absolutely it does. It's an absolute joke that they retire his number when they already have guys like Sakic and Forsberg to retire along with Roy. New organizations trying to create history too fast. Daneyko's was just funny. That's like the Avs retiring Adam Foote's number. It's just laughable.

Guest Crymson

Says who? Where is the stone tablet upon which this law is inscribed?

Says the Red Wings, and the imaginary stone tablet's rules are evident. Other teams have their own guidelines.

To be really honest, if we keep retiring numbers... we will run out, so many amazing players from that era. On the other hand, 91... 14... and a handful more from a certain line wouldn't hurt. I would have loved to see this 90's line being retired as a line, they were amazing. They were the foundations of how I wanted to play hockey when I was a kid.

Yes, perhaps some players might be a bit of a di*k, however they often have foundations (+money for charity) and a heart/soul/passion/skill for the game. It is what they contribute to the club and society what we should value, not if we would have a pint with him in the pub.

Btw, hello. I am new here and from the United Kingdom. Winger since 1993.

Guest The Axe

To be really honest, if we keep retiring numbers... we will run out, so many amazing players from that era. On the other hand, 91... 14... and a handful more from a certain line wouldn't hurt. I would have loved to see this 90's line being retired as a line, they were amazing. They were the foundations of how I wanted to play hockey when I was a kid.

Yes, perhaps some players might be a bit of a di*k, however they often have foundations (+money for charity) and a heart/soul/passion/skill for the game. It is what they contribute to the club and society what we should value, not if we would have a pint with him in the pub.

Btw, hello. I am new here and from the United Kingdom. Winger since 1993.

Hey dude. Welcome. I agree. Feds should go up.

Says the Red Wings, and the imaginary stone tablet's rules are evident. Other teams have their own guidelines.

Says the Red Wings where? If Yzerman convinced Lidstrom to come out of retirement and play 1 season for TB, would #5 suddenly never get retired? I don't think so.

Guest Crymson

Says the Red Wings where? If Yzerman convinced Lidstrom to come out of retirement and play 1 season for TB, would #5 suddenly never get retired? I don't think so.

The proof is in the pudding, as they say. I do agree that they'd probably still gift a jersey retirement to a player who had a season or two elsewhere. That said, Shanahan played less than half 0of his career with the Red Wings, so your point doesn't have much validity here.

What is to stop Chris Chelios from wearing a 5 jersey in a beer league and thus no longer allowing the WIngs to retire it?

You argument is as valid as mine above, neither of them are in the realm of possible. (if you think about Lids you will realize there is no way he is coming back, let alone to another team)

The very thing that made Lids a lifelong Wing is the same thing that would prevent him from playing one season in TB.

That is what you are missing, Lids could have gone to Boston to play with Chara (Both talked about wanting to play together) probably got more money with any team than he did with the Wings.

BUT...

Like Yzerman before him, Lids embodied what it means to be a Red Wing, and that includes taking less personally to achieve more as a team.