Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

So the consensus on Shanny's #14 is a no?

• Please log in to reply
120 replies to this topic

#41 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 01:50 AM

Name one that Delvechhio won.

Delvecchio played in a different age.

#42 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,576 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 05:24 AM

If you need an indication that it's not happening, it's that 14 has been on other players' backs already.

I am sure you can cite historical instances where that rule doesn't hold true, but you sure as hell know no one would have dared wear number 5 last season. If it's not obvious like that, it's not happening.

Exactly. Can't take it away from nyquist

#43 amato

amato

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,643 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 05:41 AM

We are saving the 91 for Stamkos....

That would be a dream come true.. hook it up Stevie!!

Datsyukian

Dat·syu·ki·an [dat-soo-kee-uh n]

adjective

1. When your moves are so amazing and beyond reason, the only way to describe them is "datsyukian."

#44 Wings_Dynasty

Wings_Dynasty

The Greatest Ever

• HoF Booster
  • 3,816 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 06:02 AM

Name one that Delvechhio won.

Ok, here's his Wikipedia page summarized down to the reasons he is up there and Shanny won't be. Bolded areas are of particular distinction. 

He would go on to excel both at centre and left wing for twenty-two full seasons and parts of two others, and was notable for his spot on the Production line. No player except Nicklas Lidström in NHL history played more games with just the one team. One of the true gentlemen in the game of hockey, he was a three-time winner of the Lady Byng Trophy for combining good sportsmanship with excellence on the ice. 

Following his retirement as a player in 1973—having, at the time, played the second most games and with the second highest assist and point totals in league history

At the time of his retirement, he ranked second in nearly every significant offensive category in Red Wings history behind only Howe. He has since been passed in most of those categories by Steve Yzerman, but only Howe and Lidström have played more games as a Red Wing.

So besides the 3 Lady Byngs and being basically the second greatest non-goaltending Red Wing (behind his linemate Gordie Freakin' Howe) until Yzerman and Lidstrom finished their careers he has no other reason to be up there. 

Edited by Wings_Dynasty, 06 August 2013 - 06:04 AM.

Current LGW Whippin' Boy: Referees

HTBanner400x100.jpg

#45 Opie

Opie

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 7,419 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 07:35 AM

Ok, here's his Wikipedia page summarized down to the reasons he is up there and Shanny won't be. Bolded areas are of particular distinction. 

So besides the 3 Lady Byngs and being basically the second greatest non-goaltending Red Wing (behind his linemate Gordie Freakin' Howe) until Yzerman and Lidstrom finished their careers he has no other reason to be up there. 

If I could like this 100 times I would!!

"The more I know about people - the better I like my dog." - Mark Twain

"A wise man once told me, ‘Don’t argue with fools. Cause people from a distance can’t tell who is who'." Jay Z, Takeover

"When I was looking for a captain, I wanted a guy with the Red Wings crest tattooed on his chest," said former Detroit coach Jacques Demers, who named Yzerman captain in 1986. "Steve Yzerman was that guy."

“Told him if he wasn't ultra-competitive he couldn't come here. If he didn't bring it every day he couldn't come here, because he was going to hate it if he didn't, dislike the coach and dislike playing here.
“It's real straightforward. If you don't do it right, you're not happy here." Babcock

#46 unsaddleddonald

unsaddleddonald

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 748 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 08:07 AM

LOL I'm not saying that Shanahan deserves to be up there as much as Delvechhio does, but you came in here with one weak argument as to why he shouldn't have his number retired and you felt that was sufficient enough. You implied that simple because he didn't have any personal hardware he shouldn't be considered? K.....

There are plenty of arguments against him, but to use one weak one is short sighted...

Edited by unsaddleddonald, 06 August 2013 - 08:11 AM.

#47 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,576 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 08:21 AM

Yes, the bar is very high, not a lifetime Wing, changed sides and is working on destroying the game for the league.

Easily an HHoFer but not one deserving to hang there with Develchio, Howe, Y, Lindsay

Sent from my BlackBerry

I wouldn't say he is working to destroy the league. He is trying to take illegal hits out of it. He is merely a figure head, there is a group that determines the suspensions, not just shanahan. I also believe the league won't let him give out as many suspensions and as long as he wants them to be, for well deserved suspensions. Mind that is me just speculating, but as far as changing the actual game, that is on bettman

#48 RyanBarnes!

RyanBarnes!

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 5,974 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 09:53 AM

Anytime that there is even a debate whether someone's number should be retired I feel like they shouldn't be up.

this!
"Joey (Kocur) has no fear" -Lyndon Byers
"Empty-net goals are for homos" -Al Iafrate

#49 amato

amato

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,643 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 10:37 AM

Anytime that there is even a debate whether someone's number should be retired I feel like they shouldn't be up.

definitely agree with this.. that and any time a number isn't retired in the first few years, I don't think it should be.

should be a no brainer to get into the rafters.. not an "ehhh.. we'll see...." type of decision.

Datsyukian

Dat·syu·ki·an [dat-soo-kee-uh n]

adjective

1. When your moves are so amazing and beyond reason, the only way to describe them is "datsyukian."

#50 DickieDunn

DickieDunn

http://redwingsandotherthings.wordpress.com/

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,530 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 11:07 AM

Well, we could be like NJ and do Konstantinov, Draper, Maltby, Holmstrom, Fedorov, Osgood, Vernon, McCarty, Chelios/Probert, Larionov, and Fetisov. Those guys were all in the same category as or more important than Daneyko.

Oh this young man has had a very trying rookie season, with the litigation, the notoriety, his subsequent deportation to Canada and that country's refusal to accept him, well, I guess that's more than most 21-year-olds can handle... Ogie Ogilthorpe!

#51 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 11:12 AM

I wouldn't say he is working to destroy the league. He is trying to take illegal hits out of it. He is merely a figure head, there is a group that determines the suspensions, not just shanahan. I also believe the league won't let him give out as many suspensions and as long as he wants them to be, for well deserved suspensions. Mind that is me just speculating, but as far as changing the actual game, that is on bettman

While I am sure that his decisions are subject to modification by the higher-ups, the Director or Player Safety technically determines the suspensions on his own.

#52 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,576 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 11:28 AM

While I am sure that his decisions are subject to modification by the higher-ups, the Director or Player Safety technically determines the suspensions on his own.

Ya but if you recall when he first started he was very ambitious, and handed out a lot of suspensions. So wither he stopped caring or someone curbed his enthusiasm

#53 Z Winged Dangler

Z Winged Dangler

Part 3: Return of the Hammer Hands

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,219 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 01:04 PM

Exactly. Can't take it away from nyquist

Nyquist wore 89 while in college.  Lots of Wings young guns have different numbers for their first year or 2 and change them.  Homer is an example, Franzen I believe and possibly Flip wore 41? 

"I play hockey, but I am not very good.  Can someone please tell me what it would take to sign with the Wings ? I can use a million or two."  ~ arag

Dan Cleary is an Xbox 360.  While good for a while, it's time for the new generation to take over.

#54 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,576 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 01:08 PM

Nyquist wore 89 while in college.  Lots of Wings young guns have different numbers for their first year or 2 and change them.  Homer is an example, Franzen I believe and possibly Flip wore 41? 

Homer was a different story. But you're right still, however I think nyquist looks much better in 14 than 89

#55 ogreslayer

ogreslayer

1st Line All-Star

• HoF Booster
  • 1,994 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 01:12 PM

Wouldn't mind seeing Nyquist switch back to his college number at all which would be the first #89 in Wings history.  If not for the Weiss signing, it really looked like Tatar wanted to switch back to 90 too. 

#56 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 02:14 PM

Ya but if you recall when he first started he was very ambitious, and handed out a lot of suspensions. So wither he stopped caring or someone curbed his enthusiasm

He handed out suspensions early in an effort to make a statement. Unfortunately, his credibility lasted for about half a season. In my mind, it evaporated completely in his first playoffs in office. He first failed to suspend Weber for a headshot that could not possibly have been more blatant, reasoning that it would have been improper to suspend a star player for even a single game in the playoffs, and two weeks later he suspended Giroux for a borderline hit on Zubrus.

Many people had high hopes for Shanahan after suffering through years of Colin Campbell's ineptitude and infuriating inconsistency; but I think it's generally agreed upon by hockey fans that he, too, is terrible at his job. The only substantive thing he has brought to the table over his predecessor is his explanation videos, and that's not much.

Edited by Crymson, 06 August 2013 - 02:15 PM.

#57 DickieDunn

DickieDunn

http://redwingsandotherthings.wordpress.com/

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,530 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 05:04 PM

I still think he's being told who to suspend and how long by his bosses.

Oh this young man has had a very trying rookie season, with the litigation, the notoriety, his subsequent deportation to Canada and that country's refusal to accept him, well, I guess that's more than most 21-year-olds can handle... Ogie Ogilthorpe!

#58 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,852 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 06:23 PM

Well, we could be like NJ and do Konstantinov, Draper, Maltby, Holmstrom, Fedorov, Osgood, Vernon, McCarty, Chelios/Probert, Larionov, and Fetisov. Those guys were all in the same category as or more important than Daneyko.

The Devils moved to Jersey in the 80's.  The Wings have been around since the 30's.  

Do I really need to explain why a Daneyko type player would get retired by the Devils but not the Wings?

According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#59 Z Winged Dangler

Z Winged Dangler

Part 3: Return of the Hammer Hands

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,219 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 07:06 PM

Wouldn't mind seeing Nyquist switch back to his college number at all which would be the first #89 in Wings history.  If not for the Weiss signing, it really looked like Tatar wanted to switch back to 90 too. 

I like high numbers.  I wore 90 for quite a while cause no one on the Wings wore it, and then playing for the Winnipeg base hockey team I snagged 19 as a rookie  :lol: .  Been wearing that since I joined the military aside from the last 2 injury plagued years....  

On topic from my little story, I hope Gus takes 89 to training camp now that he's "on the team" to say the least.  I'm really waiting to see if they let Frk take 91 when he makes his way up here.  I have a feeling he'll be up after 1 year in GR and he'll make us not miss Brunner so much.  I see him being more of an impact player than Pulkkinen (similar player style).

As for Shanny and Fedorov, I agree fully with the ring of honour type deal.  have the Wings crest with their name engraved on one side of the band and their number on the other.

The Devils moved to Jersey in the 80's.  The Wings have been around since the 30's.  

Do I really need to explain why a Daneyko type player would get retired by the Devils but not the Wings?

They couldn't wait to raise a couple numbers up so they just blew their wad? Bleewaaaahhhhh! DAneykO!!!

"I play hockey, but I am not very good.  Can someone please tell me what it would take to sign with the Wings ? I can use a million or two."  ~ arag

Dan Cleary is an Xbox 360.  While good for a while, it's time for the new generation to take over.

#60 The Axe

The Axe

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 07:28 PM

Homer was a different story. But you're right still, however I think nyquist looks much better in 14 than 89

Bet ya Andersson is #18 this year.