• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
unsaddleddonald

So the consensus on Shanny's #14 is a no?

Rate this topic

Guest Crymson

Im new here but my opinion is, and honestly I only read about half this post before writing this so if i missed a post, i'm sorry. But people keep saying its reserved for legends, and if thats the case really only yzerman howe and lids should be up there, delvecchio, abel, lindsay, sawchuck all should be taken down. were they great hockey players? yes 100% but so were feds, shhanny, ozzy, hull, cheli, and number of other guys. and yes i know most of them didn't play theyre whole career in DET but they did play great there. and if you look at what what they did as the production line with howe, sure they were great but so were shanny and feds with yzerman... I just dont understand it...honestly i think if youre going to lock up detroit legends, leave those guys, retire shanny, feds, ozzy, holmer, the grind line, probie, and then Dats, and Z need to be in the running also.. to think that they have no shot in an era where scoring on a goalie is harder than beating the guy who dives around and acutally plays the position as well as the forwards is insane, nobody is going to put up Gretzky numbers anymore, its not going to happen. as far as legends for the the winged wheel, ozzy, holmer, shanny, feds, pav, hank, should all be up there. obv wait for pav and Z to retire but the point is the same

There's a marked, evident separation between the criteria for old-time players and that for contestants from the modern era of hockey.

Agree to disagree I'll put it another way: Konstantinov played some very good seasons with the Wings and was an important piece of the 1997 Cup run, but having had his career ended in a tragic accident does not entitle him to the honor in question. It is entirely possible, and perhaps probable, that he'd not have had his jersey retired even had the injury not happened and had he gone on to finish his career with the Red Wings. As is evident, this honor is given only to a very few even amongst those players who do play an entire, successful career with the organization. On a related note, I think that the manner in which Konstantinov's career ended has led to his accomplishments and value as a player being overstated by many Red Wings fans. For example, calling his contribution to the 1997 Cup win "vast" is an exaggeration; while he played an important top-four role on the defense, his numbers on offense were mediocre, and Lidstrom and Murphy did the lion's share of the important offensive and defensive legwork. He was a very good defenseman, but not a hockey god in his time; and unfortunately, we were deprived by a drunk limo driver of the opportunity to see the rest of his career.
Go back and watch those playoff games if you can find them. He was with Lidstrom the entire time until the Finals, then Bowman changed things up to screw with Philly. In 97 he was the best D-man in the NHL and the only reason he didn't win multiple Norris Trophies is because of the anti-European bias in the media, especially towards Russians. Chelios and other North American guys were hard nosed, Vlad was dirty for playing the same way.That being said, career length counts. As much as I loved what he did, 16 shouldn't be in the rafters. I'd like to see the team honor him somehow though.
Im new here but my opinion is, and honestly I only read about half this post before writing this so if i missed a post, i'm sorry. But people keep saying its reserved for legends, and if thats the case really only yzerman howe and lids should be up there, delvecchio, abel, lindsay, sawchuck all should be taken down. were they great hockey players? yes 100% but so were feds, shhanny, ozzy, hull, cheli, and number of other guys. and yes i know most of them didn't play theyre whole career in DET but they did play great there. and if you look at what what they did as the production line with howe, sure they were great but so were shanny and feds with yzerman... I just dont understand it...honestly i think if youre going to lock up detroit legends, leave those guys, retire shanny, feds, ozzy, holmer, the grind line, probie, and then Dats, and Z need to be in the running also.. to think that they have no shot in an era where scoring on a goalie is harder than beating the guy who dives around and acutally plays the position as well as the forwards is insane, nobody is going to put up Gretzky numbers anymore, its not going to happen. as far as legends for the the winged wheel, ozzy, holmer, shanny, feds, pav, hank, should all be up there. obv wait for pav and Z to retire but the point is the same
The production line, both with Abel then with Delvechio at center, carried those teams to their Cups. Sawchuk was the best goalie in his era. If you don't think they're legends you're a moron.

There's a marked, evident separation between the criteria for old-time players and that for contestants from the modern era of hockey.

The biggest one being that between the Howe/Lindsay/Sawchuk/Delvecchio era and the Yzerman/Lidstrom era, the Wings didn't have a single player who was a potential retirement candidate. Ullman and Larson are the only ones who come close, and they weren't here long enough or win enough silverware to be considered.

If a Fedorov calibre player had played for us in the years between 1960 and 1990 then we would have a measuring stick, but we didn't, and we don't.

Guest Crymson

The biggest one being that between the Howe/Lindsay/Sawchuk/Delvecchio era and the Yzerman/Lidstrom era, the Wings didn't have a single player who was a potential retirement candidate. Ullman and Larson are the only ones who come close, and they weren't here long enough or win enough silverware to be considered.

If a Fedorov calibre player had played for us in the years between 1960 and 1990 then we would have a measuring stick, but we didn't, and we don't.

There are numerous players in the modern era who are candidates for jersey retirement. As mentioned, Osgood, Fedorov, and Shanahan are amongst them. That none have received the honor is indicative of today's standards.

Guest Playmaker

Can't believe this discussion is still going on. Clearly the offseason :)

Shanny just not a Wing long enough. Hard to believe anyone thinks he's even a candidate for having his number retired.

For me, Fedorov just had too many other issues. The signing with Carolina, the Anna K business, leaving for Anaheim, not all that long of a career here in Detroit.

Most of us here never saw the other players who had their numbers retired play. I don't think you can compare or use them as an argument.

Having Vlad's number retired would sort of diminish the whole thing for me and would really only be because of the horrible way his career ended. It could have just as easily been ended by some other type of hockey injury and in that case, no one would be lobbying for his number being retired.

Guest The Axe

Shanahan has too many teams on his resume to warrant #14 floating to the rafters over Detroit.

NJ

STL

HFD

DET

NYR

Good call

Absolutely it does. It's an absolute joke that they retire his number when they already have guys like Sakic and Forsberg to retire along with Roy. New organizations trying to create history too fast. Daneyko's was just funny. That's like the Avs retiring Adam Foote's number. It's just laughable.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=680105&navid=nhl:topheads

Guest The Axe

Corbet Ricci Deadmarsh Kurri and Hejduk are next

Colorado will be the first team with 3 digit # players.

Guest Crymson

meh....it's still bogus that his number is being retired. He was decent but not great.

He was actually a pretty good defensive defenseman, he played in Colorado for a long time---he's third on the team's all-time list in games played, with almost 400 more than Forsberg---and he was a fan favorite. That said, he isn't even remotely on a hall-of-fame level; the Avalanche have very different standards from the Red Wings where retirement of numbers is concerned. And with the exception of Hejduk, his is the last jersey they'll be retiring for a long time.

I know that this is off topic (kinda) but the only retired player that is a former Wing that fulfills all of my personal requirements for a number retirement (games played, personal accomplishments, Stanley Cups, standing with fans, and ability to steal games) is...

I know what's coming...

... and let me preface this in saying that I do not think that this will happen...

Chris Osgood.

I know that this is off topic (kinda) but the only retired player that is a former Wing that fulfills all of my personal requirements for a number retirement (games played, personal accomplishments, Stanley Cups, standing with fans, and ability to steal games) is...

I know what's coming...

... and let me preface this in saying that I do not think that this will happen...

Chris Osgood.

Ozzie is #2 in just about every goaltending stat on the team. Still not good enough for the rafters but he should be in the Hall.