Photo
- - - - -

Joakim Andersson re-signs, 2yrs, $1.465m ($732,500k cap hit)

• Please log in to reply
111 replies to this topic

#61 The Axe

The Axe

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 10:19 AM

What's with the love for centers with limited skill? Nyquist and Tatar are going to carry the kid line. Anderson can increase his scoring 50% and he'll be at 24 points over a full season. Emmerton is a warm body and there's a good chance Sheahan or Ferraro could do as well or better in the 4th line center role.

Ok, perhaps I should have clarified - for the 13-14 season. I dont know how Sheahan and Ferraro are going to progress and what they will turn into. I DO know that Babcock will play his top 9 guys on 3 lines regardless of positions. Then the 4th line will be leftovers. Emmerton seems to be a consistent play for Babs at 4th line center.

#62 amato

amato

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,654 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 10:41 AM

I agree with most of your post. Only thing is Sheehan has proved he is no where near ready. Ferraro is probably our closest to ready option

the only thing sheehan has proven is that he likes to party :P

Datsyukian

Dat·syu·ki·an [dat-soo-kee-uh n]

adjective

1. When your moves are so amazing and beyond reason, the only way to describe them is "datsyukian."

#63 DickieDunn

DickieDunn

http://redwingsandotherthings.wordpress.com/

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,563 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 11:08 AM

What's with the love for centers with limited skill? Nyquist and Tatar are going to carry the kid line. Anderson can increase his scoring 50% and he'll be at 24 points over a full season. Emmerton is a warm body and there's a good chance Sheahan or Ferraro could do as well or better in the 4th line center role.

Ok, perhaps I should have clarified - for the 13-14 season. I dont know how Sheahan and Ferraro are going to progress and what they will turn into. I DO know that Babcock will play his top 9 guys on 3 lines regardless of positions. Then the 4th line will be leftovers. Emmerton seems to be a consistent play for Babs at 4th line center.

Andersson is only the #3 center if Zetterberg, Datsyuk, or Weiss is on a wing and Helm is out. That's also the only way Emmerton is in the lineup, and even then Abdelkader is a better option at center for the checking line. Andersson has a big body, is responsible defensively, and was solid on draws, but he's still at best the 5th best center on the team and I'd probably put Abdelkader over him if it's for a check line too. Emmerton is god awful on draws and doesn't really do anything else well either except work hard, which makes him a decent pk guy. Abdelkader, Nyquist, Tatar, Miller, and even Bertuzzi and Samuelsson if they aren't moved are all better and more important. As far as Emmerton goes, the fact that he's a natural center is the only reason he wasn't dropped already and the only reason he's played the last 2 seasons is injuries.

Oh this young man has had a very trying rookie season, with the litigation, the notoriety, his subsequent deportation to Canada and that country's refusal to accept him, well, I guess that's more than most 21-year-olds can handle... Ogie Ogilthorpe!

#64 The Axe

The Axe

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 11:38 AM

Sometimes I can see that. Other times axe has some legitimate arguments, it's usually a toss up. It's hard to define the line at times.

I like Andersson and Emmerton. For 1.3 mil a year, hard to go wrong with those 2.

#65 dobbles

dobbles

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 864 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 11:39 AM

between the blatent trolling and how often he posts things as fact without sourcing them, i have grown to ignore every post he makes. doing so makes lgw a better place.

on topic, this still is a great cap hit for andersson and hopefully helm is back this year and andersson can really dominate in a 4th line role.

i really think PK is where this is crucial. andersoon was already among the ice time leaders in the playoffs. if helm gets back and is also in that rotation it lessens the need to have datsyuk and zetterberg out during the pk. furthermore, andersson had some of the best FO numbers in the playoffs and that would negate the strategy of having datyuk come out to take draws on the pk. i would much rather see 13 out there even strength where he has more opportunity to create chances.

I love Maltby, but to say he wasn't a ****** is a dis-service to his career of douchebaggery.

#66 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,944 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 12:55 PM

between the blatent trolling and how often he posts things as fact without sourcing them, i have grown to ignore every post he makes. doing so makes lgw a better place.

on topic, this still is a great cap hit for andersson and hopefully helm is back this year and andersson can really dominate in a 4th line role.

i really think PK is where this is crucial. andersoon was already among the ice time leaders in the playoffs. if helm gets back and is also in that rotation it lessens the need to have datsyuk and zetterberg out during the pk. furthermore, andersson had some of the best FO numbers in the playoffs and that would negate the strategy of having datyuk come out to take draws on the pk. i would much rather see 13 out there even strength where he has more opportunity to create chances.

Dats and z only having to be out during regular strength and pp makes us a much better team.

#67 The Axe

The Axe

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 01:35 PM

Im sorry, fellas. Apparently I cannot like the players I want to like. Trade Smith, Howard is world class, Holland can do no wrong, and Bertuzzi's spin moves and big body are the best. Better?

#68 DickieDunn

DickieDunn

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,563 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 01:41 PM

Liking a player and thinking a kid with 8 points in 38 games is border line top 6 are two different things.

Edited by DickieDunn, 08 August 2013 - 01:41 PM.

Oh this young man has had a very trying rookie season, with the litigation, the notoriety, his subsequent deportation to Canada and that country's refusal to accept him, well, I guess that's more than most 21-year-olds can handle... Ogie Ogilthorpe!

#69 The Axe

The Axe

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 02:07 PM

Liking a player and thinking a kid with 8 points in 38 games is border line top 6 are two different things.

Reread all the posts in this thread. I've stated nothing that is inaccurate.

Did Andersson not center our third line last year?
Did Emdog not center our 4th line the last 2 years?

I've never said that the lineup would be that way if our whole team is healthy. NEVER.

I've simply stated that every team has injuries, and they usually happen to the older players who arent as hungry and dont stay as fit. This makes it a more than likely scenario that Andersson and Emdog will play.

#70 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,944 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 04:10 PM

Reread all the posts in this thread. I've stated nothing that is inaccurate.

Did Andersson not center our third line last year?

I've never said that the lineup would be that way if our whole team is healthy. NEVER.

I've simply stated that every team has injuries, and they usually happen to the older players who arent as hungry and dont stay as fit. This makes it a more than likely scenario that Andersson and Emdog will play.

which center is older and doesn't care?

#71 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,944 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 05:07 PM

Ok. Step one: READ. Step two: COMPREHEND.

I didnt use "center" as a noun anywhere in my post. So what on earth makes you respond to me like that?

Or are you INFERRING that the Red Wings will only play their centers at center this year, leaving Zetterberg, Datsyuk, Weiss, and Franzen in the line-up and Helm, Andersson, and Emdog in the pressbox?

Im all for you contradicting MY argument. But dont make ones up for me. Thats silly.

We have 4 top 6 forwards very capable of playing the center role. Which means if one gets injured someone can replace him. Leaving a wing position to be filled which we currently have a plethora of. So why would Emmerton get the call up when we have capable forwards in the press box?

#72 The Axe

The Axe

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 05:19 PM

We have 4 top 6 forwards very capable of playing the center role. Which means if one gets injured someone can replace him. Leaving a wing position to be filled which we currently have a plethora of. So why would Emmerton get the call up when we have capable forwards in the press box?

I think the lineup is better leaving emmerton at 4th line center and shifting the other guys around. Babcock seems to follow that flight plan, as well. Anyway, we should get back to Andersson. I think he will still be our 3rd line center this year. You think 4th?

#73 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,944 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 06:58 PM

I think the lineup is better leaving emmerton at 4th line center and shifting the other guys around. Babcock seems to follow that flight plan, as well. Anyway, we should get back to Andersson. I think he will still be our 3rd line center this year. You think 4th?

If helm is healthy, that puts Andy at 4th line centre. Which leaves emmerton the odd man out, with helm at 3rd. The only reason emmerton gets to play is if helm is injured. That's the only reason he has played the last two seasons

#74 The Axe

The Axe

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 07:28 PM

If helm is healthy, that puts Andy at 4th line centre. Which leaves emmerton the odd man out, with helm at 3rd. The only reason emmerton gets to play is if helm is injured. That's the only reason he has played the last two seasons

I think andersson plays wing with emdog. Maybe not.

#75 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,944 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 08:21 PM

I think andersson plays wing with emdog. Maybe not.

Again we already have too many bottom six wingers. So that doesn't really make sense

#76 Nev

Nev

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,085 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 03:02 AM

2 years ago we had Helm but not Andersson.  Last year we had Andersson but not Helm.

If Emmerton wants to avoid being waived in October he needs to be sticking pins in the back of his Darren Helm voodoo doll.

"If I can be totally honest, it's not a lot of guys you get impressed by. Actually, it's no one else but him. From the bench, to see what move he makes -- you're like, 'I wish I could do that.' Sometimes you sit on the bench and just think, 'wow,' and you look over to the other bench and they sit there and shake their heads, too. He has great, great skills. I'm probably not going to play with another player who has the kind of skills he has." Mikael Samuelsson on Pavel Datsyuk

#77 DickieDunn

DickieDunn

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,563 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 07:06 AM

I think Andersson can have a Pahlsson type career. Dependable 3rd or 4th line center with a big body and wins faceoffs. Emmerton is more like Matt Ellis. He won't hurt much but he doesn't help a lot either. Saying that they used him as the 4th center the last couple years so they should just keep him there is border line retarded. If you can upgrade you do it.

#78 The Axe

The Axe

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 09:01 AM

2 years ago we had Helm but not Andersson.  Last year we had Andersson but not Helm.

If Emmerton wants to avoid being waived in October he needs to be sticking pins in the back of his Darren Helm voodoo doll.

OR he can just play 4th line center while Andersson plays wing?

#79 krsmith17

krsmith17

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 712 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 10:16 AM

OR he can just play 4th line center while Andersson plays wing?

What is with your man crush for "Emdog"? (which is a ridiculous nickname by the way)...

Emmerton is a dependable number 5 center for a team that runs into injuries up the middle, that is all he is. Why do you keep trying to say he is anything more than that? He wouldn't be a great 4th line center for a sh*tty team, let alone the Red Wings... Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Weiss, Helm, Abdelkader, Andersson are all better options than him. Hell, I would rather a 4th line centered by Miller or Eaves than Emmerton. The guy is expendable, but the only reason he is and probably will stick around is his ridiculously low cap hit. With everyone healthy you can be guaranteed that he will be sitting in the pressbox...

#80 The Axe

The Axe

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 10:55 AM

What is with your man crush for "Emdog"? (which is a ridiculous nickname by the way)...

Emmerton is a dependable number 5 center for a team that runs into injuries up the middle, that is all he is. Why do you keep trying to say he is anything more than that? He wouldn't be a great 4th line center for a sh*tty team, let alone the Red Wings... Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Weiss, Helm, Abdelkader, Andersson are all better options than him. Hell, I would rather a 4th line centered by Miller or Eaves than Emmerton. The guy is expendable, but the only reason he is and probably will stick around is his ridiculously low cap hit. With everyone healthy you can be guaranteed that he will be sitting in the pressbox...

I will just sticl with Babcock on this one.

Back on Topic, please. Andersson, like all Red Wing forwards, can play center OR Wing, so why does anyone think we have to slot him at 3rd or 4th line center only?