Photo
- - - - -

NHL to takeover of NJ around the corner?

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 ogreslayer

ogreslayer

1st Line All-Star

• HoF Booster
  • 1,959 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 10:28 AM

According to Forbes, the NHL will have to take over operations of the Devils when they start cutting payroll checks in September unless a new owner is found before then.  So they finally get the Phoenix mess off their hands, temporarily in my opinion, and might have to take over another team almost immediately?  Instead of all of the expansion talk to 32 teams, maybe they should really consider contracting down to 28.

http://www.forbes.co...devils-looming/

#2 amato

amato

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,627 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 10:34 AM

if they contract to 28 teams, maybe kenny can snag OEL :ninja:

Datsyukian

Dat·syu·ki·an [dat-soo-kee-uh n]

adjective

1. When your moves are so amazing and beyond reason, the only way to describe them is "datsyukian."

#3 StormJH1

StormJH1

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 701 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 10:59 AM

So the team that finally broke the '05 CBA (by signing the first Kovalchuk deal), and then put the first crack in the 2013 CBA (by having Kovy retire and getting out of the 2nd Kovalchuk deal), doesn't even have enough money to pay their salaries?

I had heard grumblings that New Jersey was in rough shape financially, but this is pathetic.  For a team that's had the caliber of players they've had in the last 25 years, won multiple cups, and is in a metorpolitan area that should draw a ton of hockey interest, you have to be pretty dysfunctional to not make that work.  At least when Atlanta, Phoenix, Dallas, Nashville, etc. have money problems, people can look at that and go "yeah, I can see how that makes sense".

#4 Opie

Opie

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 7,419 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 11:25 AM

Oh boy when does league expand, I think adding more teams to the league while others cannot pay for the ones they already have is a great idea!

/sarcasm

I am not even taking into consideration the talent pool being extremely watered down if you add another 40 players to the league (who by the way are currently not good enough to be on a roster)!

"The more I know about people - the better I like my dog." - Mark Twain

"A wise man once told me, ‘Don’t argue with fools. Cause people from a distance can’t tell who is who'." Jay Z, Takeover

"When I was looking for a captain, I wanted a guy with the Red Wings crest tattooed on his chest," said former Detroit coach Jacques Demers, who named Yzerman captain in 1986. "Steve Yzerman was that guy."

“Told him if he wasn't ultra-competitive he couldn't come here. If he didn't bring it every day he couldn't come here, because he was going to hate it if he didn't, dislike the coach and dislike playing here.
“It's real straightforward. If you don't do it right, you're not happy here." Babcock

#5 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,609 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 11:53 AM

Bettman: "if the suggestion is we're going to take over the Devils, it's not accurate."

Even though Uncle Gary is qualified for the job; he's playing coy.

"Mess up tomorrow, don't mess up now".

- Harry James Benson, CBE.

#6 St. Michael (the Red Wing)

St. Michael (the Red Wing)

Heavenly With the Puck

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,822 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 12:21 PM

Interesting. Any chance the Devils could move or relocate? 

#7 b.shanafan14

b.shanafan14

One good Swede deserves another!

• Silver Booster
  • 2,870 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 12:50 PM

Instead of all of the expansion talk to 32 teams, maybe they should really consider contracting down to 28.

http://www.forbes.co...devils-looming/

I've been saying it... absolutely absurd to talk about expansion when at least half-dozen teams around the league are losing money. The league seems to think the better solution is to add more teams that are viable to prop up the money-pit teams, rather than convert some of the latter to the former through relocation and cut out two of the others through contraction. Is it really any surprise with this kind of lunacy that we've seen 3 lockouts in less than 20 years?

#8 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,129 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 12:58 PM

I've been saying it... absolutely absurd to talk about expansion when at least half-dozen teams around the league are losing money. The league seems to think the better solution is to add more teams that are viable to prop up the money-pit teams, rather than convert some of the latter to the former through relocation and cut out two of the others through contraction. Is it really any surprise with this kind of lunacy that we've seen 3 lockouts in less than 20 years?

The solution is simple.

Step 1: lockout to stop big contracts and teams not sharing revenue

Step 2: sign the same huge contracts right after lockout ends

step 3: ???

Step 4: profit...

#9 Opie

Opie

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 7,419 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 01:09 PM

The solution is simple.

Step 1: lockout to stop big contracts and teams not sharing revenue

Step 2: sign the same huge contracts right after lockout ends

step 3: ???

Step 4: profit...

You forgot step 5, repeat the process in less than 10 years!

"The more I know about people - the better I like my dog." - Mark Twain

"A wise man once told me, ‘Don’t argue with fools. Cause people from a distance can’t tell who is who'." Jay Z, Takeover

"When I was looking for a captain, I wanted a guy with the Red Wings crest tattooed on his chest," said former Detroit coach Jacques Demers, who named Yzerman captain in 1986. "Steve Yzerman was that guy."

“Told him if he wasn't ultra-competitive he couldn't come here. If he didn't bring it every day he couldn't come here, because he was going to hate it if he didn't, dislike the coach and dislike playing here.
“It's real straightforward. If you don't do it right, you're not happy here." Babcock

#10 FireCaptain

FireCaptain

Whaddya mean I can't beat BOSTON?

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,894 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 02:08 PM

http://tracking.si.c...ls-coming-soon/

Most nights, my posts are brought to you by Heineken and sarcasm.
Success has a thousand fathers, failure is an orphan.
We not score, is hard to win. - Pavel Datsyuk #13

#11 55fan

55fan

All mine 'til 2-0-1-9

• HoF Booster
  • 12,891 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 03:06 PM

Sooo... do we move them to Hell, MI or Devil's Lake, ND?

#12 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,709 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 06:10 PM

Maybe they'll get bought by some large Arab investors, like those soccer teams overseas.    :innocent:

According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#13 ogreslayer

ogreslayer

1st Line All-Star

• HoF Booster
  • 1,959 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 09:00 PM

Sooo... do we move them to Hell, MI or Devil's Lake, ND?

Probably sell them to "the devil you know" aka Jim Balsillie & let him move the team to Hamilton.

#14 Z Winged Dangler

Z Winged Dangler

Part 3: Return of the Hammer Hands

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,195 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 10:10 PM

Oh boy when does league expand, I think adding more teams to the league while others cannot pay for the ones they already have is a great idea!

/sarcasm

I am not even taking into consideration the talent pool being extremely watered down if you add another 40 players to the league (who by the way are currently not good enough to be on a roster)!

I vote they expand to Yellowknife and San Antonio and then have them in the same division.

"I play hockey, but I am not very good.  Can someone please tell me what it would take to sign with the Wings ? I can use a million or two."  ~ arag

Dan Cleary is an Xbox 360.  While good for a while, it's time for the new generation to take over.

#15 MabusIncarnate

MabusIncarnate

The Truth Is Out There

• Silver Booster Mod
  • 2,203 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 11:01 PM

When this was all happening with Phoenix, I could personally care less if they relocated, disbanded, or fell from the face of the planet. I think it's a different story with the Devils, they have a rich history in the NHL, they belong and deserve to remain in New Jersey with financial problems aside. If the Devils moved or were cut from the NHL, as a fan, it would sting. 

I hope for their sake this financial disaster gets worked out somehow and NJ can remain where they are.

13585921555_24551f5658.jpg

#16 number9

number9

All The Best Players Wear A 9

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,364 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 12:10 AM

The sad part is they still have a decent roster.

Clowe - Zajac - Jagr
Olesz - Elias - Ryder
Tedenby - Henrique - Loktionov

All of those are candidates for a top 6 position. Zajac and the young guys on the 3rd line are due for good years.

Defense isn't completely poop, and Larsson will be progressing farther.

The funnest part will be watching Schneider and Marty compete for starting time. When was the last time Broduer had real competition?

All in all I think they're a bubble team just like us last year. I think they'll weasel they're way into a low seed

#17 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,821 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 12:27 AM

Get ouf off trouble, just to face the next trap..The Devils at least are an established franchise with a proven winner-record there should be a lot of potential owners willing to buy the team. Although what happens if Vanberbeek can't pay and the NHL doesn't want to takeover? Does the team fold?

kftx.jpg

The Offseason of truth ...

Welcome to hockeytown Jonas aka Lundquist 2 Gustavsson!

blank cheque for The Captain or Jim Star Nil please..

#18 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,129 posts

Posted 10 August 2013 - 10:38 AM

Get ouf off trouble, just to face the next trap..The Devils at least are an established franchise with a proven winner-record there should be a lot of potential owners willing to buy the team. Although what happens if Vanberbeek can't pay and the NHL doesn't want to takeover? Does the team fold?

http://www.nj.com/si...harris_com.html

#19 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 10 August 2013 - 04:03 PM

So the team that finally broke the '05 CBA (by signing the first Kovalchuk deal), and then put the first crack in the 2013 CBA (by having Kovy retire and getting out of the 2nd Kovalchuk deal), doesn't even have enough money to pay their salaries?

I had heard grumblings that New Jersey was in rough shape financially, but this is pathetic.  For a team that's had the caliber of players they've had in the last 25 years, won multiple cups, and is in a metorpolitan area that should draw a ton of hockey interest, you have to be pretty dysfunctional to not make that work.  At least when Atlanta, Phoenix, Dallas, Nashville, etc. have money problems, people can look at that and go "yeah, I can see how that makes sense".

It isn't easy to compete with the two New York teams.

#20 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,129 posts

Posted 10 August 2013 - 07:06 PM

It isn't easy to compete with the two New York teams.

One new york team