• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#21 The Axe

The Axe

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 04:15 PM

Bowman runs the show where he is. Call him what u want, but he calls the shots.

#22 RyanBarnes!

RyanBarnes!

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 5,974 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 02:34 AM

Oh well then my bad, I've thought about the years before the cap. Chiarelli is a great GM, he builds his teams the way they should be built, skilled - tough and hard working. Yes, Rask is overpaid but so what? The guy is elite and deserves elite money but the Seguin move is going to bite them hard in 2 years. You just don't trade players of that caliber.

Lamoriello and Lombardi the L brothers are 7 and 8. Lou didn't want to sign this ridiculous Kovy deal because he knew, that Kovalchuk is not the right player for the style he wants to play but the ownership (Vanderbeek himself), forced him to sign the guy so his hands were tied. Lombardi has done some great moves but I want to see how he improves this loaded LA team before putting him into the top 5.

I was about to write something about ownership likely forcing Lamoriello's hand on Kovalchuk, because it is not very like him. Also after finishing Phil Espositos book Thunder & Lightning you realize that the owners or their representatives interfere quite a bit in the work of the general manager. Usually not with very good results. He mentions a done deal with Puppa and pick for Joseph back in the day that could have made a significant difference at the time. He also mentioned that the owners denied him to pursue a deal for Gretzky when in NY. Great read if you like to get behind the scenes a little bit.
"Joey (Kocur) has no fear" -Lyndon Byers
"Empty-net goals are for homos" -Al Iafrate

#23 DickieDunn

DickieDunn

http://redwingsandotherthings.wordpress.com/

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,528 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 06:04 AM

That's what makes Illitch a good owner. He hires good people and lets them do their jobs for the most part.
  • Nev likes this

Oh this young man has had a very trying rookie season, with the litigation, the notoriety, his subsequent deportation to Canada and that country's refusal to accept him, well, I guess that's more than most 21-year-olds can handle... Ogie Ogilthorpe!

#24 FlashyG

FlashyG

1st Line All-Star

• HoF Booster
  • 1,153 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 11:02 AM

Incorrect.  Bowman never held the title of General Manager while in Detroit.  In addition to coaching, he held the title of Director of Player Personnel.  The GM's during Scotty's tenure with the Wings were Bryan Murray for one season, followed by Jimmy Devellano & Kenny.

Actually from 1994 to 1997 Jim Devellano and Bowman were co GM's. Ken was the assistant GM and took over as GM in July 1998.

Bowman hasn't run the show anywhere in over a decade. Do you really believe he's running the Blackhawks from his home in Buffalo? Even in his last years in Detroit he was a consultant to their coaching staff. He was far from a managing force for the team.

#25 toby91_ca

toby91_ca

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 8,498 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 12:34 PM

Actually from 1994 to 1997 Jim Devellano and Bowman were co GM's. Ken was the assistant GM and took over as GM in July 1998.

Bowman hasn't run the show anywhere in over a decade. Do you really believe he's running the Blackhawks from his home in Buffalo? Even in his last years in Detroit he was a consultant to their coaching staff. He was far from a managing force for the team.

Not sure if Bowman actually held the title of GM or not, but you are certainly correct in that he shared the GM duties with Jimmy D.

Also agree with your sentiment that he hasn't run the show anywhere for a while.  He's a consultant these days by title, but probably doesn't even do too much by way of consulting.  I'd guess it's here and there.

#26 Z Winged Dangler

Z Winged Dangler

Part 3: Return of the Hammer Hands

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,219 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 12:17 PM

Oh well then my bad, I've thought about the years before the cap. Chiarelli is a great GM, he builds his teams the way they should be built, skilled - tough and hard working. Yes, Rask is overpaid but so what? The guy is elite and deserves elite money but the Seguin move is going to bite them hard in 2 years. You just don't trade players of that caliber.

Lamoriello and Lombardi the L brothers are 7 and 8. Lou didn't want to sign this ridiculous Kovy deal because he knew, that Kovalchuk is not the right player for the style he wants to play but the ownership (Vanderbeek himself), forced him to sign the guy so his hands were tied. Lombardi has done some great moves but I want to see how he improves this loaded LA team before putting him into the top 5.

Personally, I think that Eriksson is a better and more complete player who was only under a point per game the past few seasons cause he doesn't have jack for help in Dallas cause their GM is clueless.  He'll thrive in Boston bigtime I'd bet especially if he's on a line with Lucic and Krejci.  I'd even say that Eriksson is better than Horton and he's more durable.  Eriksson is one of the most underrated players in the NHL and he's a guy that I badly wanted on the Wings.  Seguin is really good and has potential, but who knows if he'll ever reach it and Eriksson is in his prime and will be for at least 5-6 more years.  Boston's top 6 is disgusting.  Fill the bottom 6 with hard nosed grinders who can score.  No need to keep Seguin below Krejci and Bergeron when he could be moved for a high caliber winger.

"I play hockey, but I am not very good.  Can someone please tell me what it would take to sign with the Wings ? I can use a million or two."  ~ arag

Dan Cleary is an Xbox 360.  While good for a while, it's time for the new generation to take over.

#27 The Axe

The Axe

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 01:00 PM

Personally, I think that Eriksson is a better and more complete player who was only under a point per game the past few seasons cause he doesn't have jack for help in Dallas cause their GM is clueless.  He'll thrive in Boston bigtime I'd bet especially if he's on a line with Lucic and Krejci.  I'd even say that Eriksson is better than Horton and he's more durable.  Eriksson is one of the most underrated players in the NHL and he's a guy that I badly wanted on the Wings.  Seguin is really good and has potential, but who knows if he'll ever reach it and Eriksson is in his prime and will be for at least 5-6 more years.  Boston's top 6 is disgusting.  Fill the bottom 6 with hard nosed grinders who can score.  No need to keep Seguin below Krejci and Bergeron when he could be moved for a high caliber winger.

Boston looked lifeless without Horton last year. I think that will hurt.

#28 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,823 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 11:57 PM

Wonder where he gets his advice from. 

"All done? Five bucks." - Pavel Datsyuk after an interview
"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#29 The Axe

The Axe

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 12:02 AM

Wonder where he gets his advice from. 

50 years of experience, son.

#30 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,095 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 12:11 PM

At the same time, he is Scotty Bowman. All he has to do is grunt and God Himself will run and hide behind a cloud.

Don't Toews me, bro!