• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
sjr2012

Who do we Unload, reload on before the season starts?

Rate this topic

Any ideas on what we might do to make room for our starting Roster? obviously we have to many forwards coming in so who do you guys think we unload? Tootoo? Eaves? and do you think we try to resign anymore Cleary? Goose? like to know where you guys think we will stand come this seasons start.

Any ideas on what we might do to make room for our starting Roster? obviously we have to many forwards coming in so who do you guys think we unload? Tootoo? Eaves? and do you think we try to resign anymore Cleary? Goose? like to know where you guys think we will stand come this seasons start.

I think the two that get moved are the two you mentioned, Tootoo & Eaves. Given their ages & NTCs, I don't see Kenny being able to unload Sammy or Bert. The other option if Helm proves healthy in camp is Emmerton & I do think there's a pretty good chance that if Emmerton is sent to GR at the end of camp, there's a good chance he passes through waivers.

Edit: Just to add a thought, I think if Tootoo is traded, it wouldn't surprise me to see the Wings have to retain some of his salary to make it happen. And if a miracle happens & it's Sammy that's shipped out, they'll definitely have to retain salary to make that happen.

Edited by ogreslayer

Eaves is probably the first out the door. The only way I see him back is if 2 guys are gone through trade or injury, or possibly if Helm is good to go and they only need one spot they might just try to send Emmerton to GR.

Depending oh health Emmerton is the next easiest to move. He's a good reserve because he's a center and cheap, but it's as much about who they can move as it is who they want to move.

Of Tootoo, Bertuzzi, and Samuelsson, Tootoo has the most trade value, but also adds a dimension others don't. They will not just waive Bertuzzi or Samuelsson because the cap hits would stick.

If Sammy's on LTIR, that opens a roster spot. Once he's off of it, send him down until he agrees to waive his NTC.

For me, the only totally untouchables are Z, Pav, and Tootoo, the latter being personal preference and purely personal opinion. I understand that others may disagree. I'm ok with that.

Assuming we don't re-sign Cleary :) or Brunner :( a lot depends on a healthy Helm. Since signs are looking good, maybe we might have to part with someone like Eaves, although I loathe to see him go.

Since Miller and Andersson were just re-signed, I doubt they'll be moved.

I hate to say it, but after Emmerton, who may well have some moderately decent trade value, Eaves is the next best option that they'll possibly consider.

Sucks. I like Sammy too, but like Cleary, his time has come and gone.

I'd even be willing to part with Johan, even though he did his share of goal-scoring. We might get a bit more in return for him if we find someone who will take on his contract. I wouldn't just settle for a pick and a bag of pucks for him; he'd need to bring something substantial.

I have a feeling that no matter what happens, I'm going to be saying, "ah, dang. I'll miss him."

Edited by 55fan

Put Sammy on ltir or send him down. There aren't many untouchhables on this team, so unloading shouldn't be too hard. Trade tootoo for a guy like Mcgrattan, send down Eaves and see what the younger players are capable of doing on a full season schedule

Edited by frankgrimes

Guest Crymson

I think as the season begins we'll still be waiting for Holland to pull off a trade that never happens. After seeing where we stand I feel pretty stupid even thinking he was about to do something before the deadline the last few years.

It would not have been particularly wise for him to pay 2012's vastly inflated prices, or to buy in 2013 when the team was in transition.

Detroit Red Wings general manager Ken Holland made a concerted effort to clear some roster spots and shed salary by making a trade this off-season, but had no luck.
It doesn't appear as if anything will materialize before the season.
“Things are pretty quiet,'' Holland said Tuesday. “There's not much going on.
“At this stage, lots of teams will go to camp feeling their kids will fill holes for them.''

http://www.mlive.com/redwings/index.ssf/2013/08/red_wings_unlikely_to_make_any.html?

There used to be a time when things like trade deadline, ufa day - this year was a nice exception - and off season were full of moves god I miss pre 2005 so much.

No offersheets no transfers that's really boring hope, Holland pulls out a rabid of his head to shake things up.

Edited by frankgrimes

There used to be a time when things like trade deadline, ufa day - this year was a nice exception - and off season were full of moves god I miss pre 2005 so much. No offersheets no transfers that's really boring hope, Holland pulls out a rabid of his head to shake things up.

This.

Given the number of forwards, we'd have to trade for picks/prospects or maybe a defenseman if he's an improvement over Lashoff.

I don't see us getting some great forward for a bunch of our bottom guys.

There used to be a time when things like trade deadline, ufa day - this year was a nice exception - and off season were full of moves god I miss pre 2005 so much. No offersheets no transfers that's really boring hope, Holland pulls out a rabid of his head to shake things up.

This.

Given the number of forwards, we'd have to trade for picks/prospects or maybe a defenseman if he's an improvement over Lashoff.

I don't see us getting some great forward for a bunch of our bottom guys.

Why not just offersheet Pietrangelo? It's clear the blues are lowballing him and he wants to get paid, so this would be a nice kuckstart to the rebuild.

Sure getting something for bottom guys is hard but better getcsomething instead of nothing (i.e not trading Valteri) back then

Edited by frankgrimes

Guest The Axe

Has anyone figured out what happens if we stay as is? Are we breaking any cap rules or in need of shedding any players/salary to meet limits? Seems like a lot of speculating, but I havent heard anything definitive.

Has anyone figured out what happens if we stay as is? Are we breaking any cap rules or in need of shedding any players/salary to meet limits? Seems like a lot of speculating, but I havent heard anything definitive.

No, it's pretty definite. The Wings have roughly $300k in cap space assuming bonuses are carried forward to next season & 24 players on the roster. The cap can be exceeded by 10% through the end of preseason so they'll still be able to sign Nyquist & the only roster limit that applies is the 50 man contract limit. Before the start of the regular season though, they'll need to trim say ~$700k (let's assume Nyquist signs a 2 year contract with $1m cap hit) & 2 players off the NHL roster to get back to the 23 limit.

Ansar Khan gave a pretty good summary of where we stand at the moment in a story yesterday. It's worth reading the whole thing, but here's what he had to say about the Wings currently...

http://www.mlive.com/redwings/index.ssf/2013/08/red_wings_have_some_business_t.html

So, essentially, the Red Wings are slightly under the $64.3 million cap. But, they'll be over it once they sign Nyquist, which also will put them two players over the 23-man roster limit (teams can go 10 percent over the cap during the off-season and don't need to meet the roster limit until after the exhibition schedule).

If nobody is placed on injured reserve after the preseason, the Red Wings would need to trim two forwards. However, the status of center Darren Helm remains murky. He reported progress with his ailing back during development camp in July, but it's too soon to know whether he'll be ready for the start of the season.

Why not just offersheet Pietrangelo? It's clear the blues are lowballing him and he wants to get paid, so this would be a nice kuckstart to the rebuild. Sure getting something for bottom guys is hard but better getcsomething instead of nothing (i.e not trading Valteri) back then
Because the Blues would just match unless it was a contract so bad even Milbury wouldn't make the offer.
Even if Nyquist holds out they need to either trade, waive, or put someone on LTIR. When he signs 2 guys need to go.

Because the Blues would just match unless it was a contract so bad even Milbury wouldn't make the offer.

Like maybe if it was for a ridiculous cap hit which the Wings themselves couldn't afford right now based on where they're at against the cap.

Guest The Axe

Thanks guys. Perhaps the Wings put Sammy and Bert on LTIR come October. Does that solve all our issues?

Thanks guys. Perhaps the Wings put Sammy and Bert on LTIR come October. Does that solve all our issues?

If the Wings could keep them on LTIR the whole season, it sure would. Would also clear up more money than the other alternatives Kenny's looking at too I would think.

Guest The Axe

If the Wings could keep them on LTIR the whole season, it sure would. Would also clear up more money than the other alternatives Kenny's looking at too I would think.

I bet this is the direction they are headed then. I just cant see 2 guys (Sammy and Bert) that the Wings have been good to holding the organization hostage. The players are probably going to act as assistant coaches/mentors this year while staying on LTIR and picking up a paycheck before being hired on as consultants next year.

I really don't see any of the vets getting sent to the minors (it's just not how the Wings do business) and I don't see us getting anything of value for our extra bottom six forwards. Especially with the amount of unsigned UFAs still available and the mindset of many teams to let their young players fill the holes. Why would a team give up even a 7th rounder for Eaves when guys like Morrow, Cleary, Raymond, Grabovski, Latendresse, Brunner, Steckel, Boyes, Stewart etc are all still available. Many at a cheaper price.

The only scenario I really see happening is one or more of Helm, Sammy, Bert starting the year on LTIR and/or a swap for a cheaper borderline NHLer/journeyman AHLer with a 2-way contract. One who another team would like to dump while adding a guy like Eaves/Tootoo/Emmerton in return. I wouldn't even be surprised if we would have to send a pick along with them as cap space seems to be the biggest commodity right now.

Bottomline we're not getting picks in return for these guys.

I bet this is the direction they are headed then. I just cant see 2 guys (Sammy and Bert) that the Wings have been good to holding the organization hostage. The players are probably going to act as assistant coaches/mentors this year while staying on LTIR and picking up a paycheck before being hired on as consultants next year.

They're not "holding the organization hostage". It's not their fault we signed to many forwards and are exceeding the cap. They want to play and contribute and they have every right to attempt to do so. The way you state it you seem to think going on LTIR is a choice. You have to be declared by a physician to be unable to play for a minimum of 24 days or 10 games because you are "injured, ill or disabled and unable to perform your duties as a hockey player". For the record Bertuzzi and Sammy both claim to be feeling great and are very excited for this season.

I really don't see any of the vets getting sent to the minors (it's just not how the Wings do business) and I don't see us getting anything of value for our extra bottom six forwards. Especially with the amount of unsigned UFAs still available and the mindset of many teams to let their young players fill the holes. Why would a team give up even a 7th rounder for Eaves when guys like Morrow, Cleary, Raymond, Grabovski, Latendresse, Brunner, Steckel, Boyes, Stewart etc are all still available. Many at a cheaper price.

The only scenario I really see happening is one or more of Helm, Sammy, Bert starting the year on LTIR and/or a swap for a cheaper borderline NHLer/journeyman AHLer with a 2-way contract. One who another team would like to dump while adding a guy like Eaves/Tootoo/Emmerton in return. I wouldn't even be surprised if we would have to send a pick along with them as cap space seems to be the biggest commodity right now.

Bottomline we're not getting picks in return for these guys.

Less about getting anything back than clearing up space for better options on the roster. That's again why I think that the Wings will end up having to retain some salary to potentially move someone like Tootoo. Doubt teams could sign a Morrow or Cleary cheaper than trading a 7th rounder for Tootoo when the Wings are still paying a chunk of his salary. One other option they have is to send Nyquist back down to GR but if they do, he'll have to be there for the season. From what I remember, he has all of two games left in the NHL before his waiver exemption expires. I seriously doubt though that Kenny would do that.

And as far as sending vets to the minors, I do recall that's more than likely where Draper & Maltby would have ended up if they hadn't called it quits & moved into the front office. They where both offered a "come to camp to try to play your way on the roster" contract by Kenny with the thought they would end up being player/mentors in GR if they didn't make it. Both obviously chose retirement instead. The problem in doing that with Sammy or Bert now, well other than the fact that they're already under contract, is that the Wings would only get cap relief of $100k per if they're sent to the minors.