Photo
- - - - -

Who do we Unload, reload on before the season starts?

• Please log in to reply
97 replies to this topic

#81 55fan

55fan

All mine 'til 2-0-1-9

• HoF Booster
  • 12,891 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 03:23 PM

Nashville doesn't have a Back-up signed yet.  Maybe we could send them maybe we send them Tootoo, Quincey, and monster for a decent young defenseman?? 

Sending off those three players would clear over 7M in cap space, minus what we pay the guy they sent us.

Leaving plenty of room to sign a backup (Thomas :tounge: ) or bring up Mrazek. Then sign Nyquist.

I'm not sure Mrazek is ready for the big show, and Howard can't play the percent of games he did last year in a full season, but I still wouldn't be averse to sending off Monster and a forward or two for picks/prospects if it gets us out or roster hell in the forward department.  The only issue would be finding someone who would make that trade.

I'm cautiously optimistic about Mrazek.  I like what I saw in the limited time in which I saw it.

#82 Rick D

Rick D

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 304 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 04:08 PM

The only issue would be finding someone who would make that trade.

Or to make any trade with us at all.

Teams could just sit around, and wait to see who we try to pass through waivers, and then pick up players w/o having to give us anything in return.

Eff Chicago

Eff Boston

#83 55fan

55fan

All mine 'til 2-0-1-9

• HoF Booster
  • 12,891 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 04:17 PM

Or to make any trade with us at all.

Teams could just sit around, and wait to see who we try to pass through waivers, and then pick up players w/o having to give us anything in return.

True words.

The only thing that might prompt a trade is if they're wanting a specific role filled or want a specific player.  That's still doubtful.

#84 DSM

DSM

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 650 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 04:32 PM

IMO some of the players you listed won't be resigned, starting with Sammy, Bert, Eaves, & Emmerton because the next wave from GR will be ready, specifically Ferraro & Sheahan.  Granted, some of them may be gone sooner.  Wouldn't be surprised if Monster's gone too.  I think Quincey might be expendable as well because signing Ericsson will be the priority, you've got cheaper & hopefully still developing options in Kindl & Lashoff locked up, & they'll have Almquist potentially ready to move up as well.  Kind of frustrating that the Wings have too many bodies to fit on their roster over the next couple to few years but really exciting too.

Basically, I think that the salary cap will be less of an issue in 2014-15 & beyond because we should start to see younger, cheaper options starting to hit from the prospect pool. 

Oh absolutely. That's why I used "re-sign/replace", since anyone who isn't resigned will need to be replaced, whether it's from within or outside sources.

-Samuelsson, Bertuzzi, Eaves and Gustavsson are probably pretty much gone. Alfredsson could retire. Emmerton will be an RFA, but obviously if the team thinks he can be replaced or that they'd have a hard time moving him once he's resigned, they can decline a qualifying offer.

-The Quincey situation will be interesting... Obviously Ericsson seems to be the more valuable of the two, but Quincey currently makes more.

-I doubt Sheahan will get a spot on the big club for 14/15 unless he shows big improvement in GR this season, or they know he'll be playing a big role. He'll have one more waiver exempt season after this one, and he'd probably be best kept in GR until his options are out.

-Almquist, Ferraro and Callahan are all out of minor league options after '13-14 and it seems they may have the fast track on any small role opening for '14/15.

-Howard has now proven that he can handle a big workload and should be expected to start 60+ games a year. After Gustavsson is gone, they could probably get away with using an experienced and cheap journeyman backup in the ilk of Conklin (the first time), Mason, McElhinney, Joey MacDonald etc. That way Mrazek can keep playing and developing in GR.

-I've also gotta think that with all of the cap space opening up after this next season and the potential retirement of Alfredsson, Holland will probably try to go after a big name in the UFA market next summer. Vanek? Pominville? Ryan Callahan? Michalek? Timonen? Thornton? Marleau? Boyle? Kessel? Phaneuf? Sedin(s)?

#85 Z Winged Dangler

Z Winged Dangler

Part 3: Return of the Hammer Hands

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,196 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 05:29 PM

The Wings can't buy him out now.  The compliance buyout period ended on July 4th.  So now they are going with him the whole way unless Sammy is injured OR he agrees to a trade.

If the Wings used a regular buyout wouldn't it make his cap hit 2 mil this year and they buy him out over this year and next?

"I play hockey, but I am not very good.  Can someone please tell me what it would take to sign with the Wings ? I can use a million or two."  ~ arag

Dan Cleary is an Xbox 360.  While good for a while, it's time for the new generation to take over.

#86 ogreslayer

ogreslayer

1st Line All-Star

• HoF Booster
  • 1,959 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 05:34 PM

Oh absolutely. That's why I used "re-sign/replace", since anyone who isn't resigned will need to be replaced, whether it's from within or outside sources.

-Samuelsson, Bertuzzi, Eaves and Gustavsson are probably pretty much gone. Alfredsson could retire. Emmerton will be an RFA, but obviously if the team thinks he can be replaced or that they'd have a hard time moving him once he's resigned, they can decline a qualifying offer.

-The Quincey situation will be interesting... Obviously Ericsson seems to be the more valuable of the two, but Quincey currently makes more.

-I doubt Sheahan will get a spot on the big club for 14/15 unless he shows big improvement in GR this season, or they know he'll be playing a big role. He'll have one more waiver exempt season after this one, and he'd probably be best kept in GR until his options are out.

-Almquist, Ferraro and Callahan are all out of minor league options after '13-14 and it seems they may have the fast track on any small role opening for '14/15.

-Howard has now proven that he can handle a big workload and should be expected to start 60+ games a year. After Gustavsson is gone, they could probably get away with using an experienced and cheap journeyman backup in the ilk of Conklin (the first time), Mason, McElhinney, Joey MacDonald etc. That way Mrazek can keep playing and developing in GR.

-I've also gotta think that with all of the cap space opening up after this next season and the potential retirement of Alfredsson, Holland will probably try to go after a big name in the UFA market next summer. Vanek? Pominville? Ryan Callahan? Michalek? Timonen? Thornton? Marleau? Boyle? Kessel? Phaneuf? Sedin(s)?

Wouldn't it be something if Alfie re-signed for another year & somehow Kenny landed the Sedins in 2014?  Team Sweden West indeed.  I really don't think there's a snowball's chance but how pissed off would other fan bases be if they did? 

#87 The Axe

The Axe

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 05:40 PM

True. That is also not accounting for whatever salary opens up from whatever second player gets trimmed as well. I only wonder if Holland is reluctant to retain any of Tootoos salary for 14-15 when he will most likely already have a handicap from Alfredssons deferred bonuses and will need cap space next summer to re-sign/replace Alfredsson, Quincey, Ericsson, Samuelsson, Bertuzzi, Gustavsson, DeKeyser, Eaves, Tatar and Emmerton. Might make more sense to trade/waive Emmerton and Eaves, and carry Tootoo as an extra forward and rotate him into the lineup when they need him against some of the more physical teams. Then, if they still don't want him next summer they can use their last compliance buyout on his last year without having anything negatively affect their cap for 14/15. One thing to also consider with Tootoo, is that depending on what continued improvement he has in GR next season, Mitch Callahan might be ready to step into a similar spot as a part time agitator. However, he'll probably be playing for league minimum which will be less than 1/3rd what Tootoo will be making in 14/15.

None taken. As you can see by that mammoth post, I rather enjoy engaging in these discussions...

Me too! And i will get back to u later when im at a computer. Im limited to atta-boys on my phone.

Wouldn't it be something if Alfie re-signed for another year & somehow Kenny landed the Sedins in 2014?  Team Sweden West indeed.  I really don't think there's a snowball's chance but how pissed off would other fan bases be if they did? 

Lock in hjarmalsson from Chicago and bam!

#88 ogreslayer

ogreslayer

1st Line All-Star

• HoF Booster
  • 1,959 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 05:45 PM

If the Wings used a regular buyout wouldn't it make his cap hit 2 mil this year and they buy him out over this year and next?

Regular aka ordinary course buyouts had to be done during the same period that the compliance buyouts were done which expired back on July 4th.  Or more correctly, compliance buyouts had to happen during the long-standing window for ordinary course buyouts because those rules existed prior to the new CBA & compliance buyouts to get under the new cap.  The Wings missed their window to buy out Sammy's contract, compliance or regular/ordinary course.  The window doesn't open until the end of The Cup finals in June of 2014 & by that time, Sammy will be without a contract anyway.  Now if they had done an ordinary course buyout on his contract in June, the cap hit would have been $1m each in 2013-14 & 14-15.

#89 DickieDunn

DickieDunn

http://redwingsandotherthings.wordpress.com/

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,397 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 06:18 PM

Regular aka ordinary course buyouts had to be done during the same period that the compliance buyouts were done which expired back on July 4th.  Or more correctly, compliance buyouts had to happen during the long-standing window for ordinary course buyouts because those rules existed prior to the new CBA & compliance buyouts to get under the new cap.  The Wings missed their window to buy out Sammy's contract, compliance or regular/ordinary course.  The window doesn't open until the end of The Cup finals in June of 2014 & by that time, Sammy will be without a contract anyway.  Now if they had done an ordinary course buyout on his contract in June, the cap hit would have been $1m each in 2013-14 & 14-15.

35+ contract. Doesn't that give him the full $3 mil?

Oh this young man has had a very trying rookie season, with the litigation, the notoriety, his subsequent deportation to Canada and that country's refusal to accept him, well, I guess that's more than most 21-year-olds can handle... Ogie Ogilthorpe!

#90 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,141 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 06:47 PM

They aren't eligible to use a regular buyout

#91 ogreslayer

ogreslayer

1st Line All-Star

• HoF Booster
  • 1,959 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 10:13 PM

35+ contract. Doesn't that give him the full $3 mil?

If you mean his buyout pay, that's 2/3rds of his remaining salary spread out over twice the remaining years of the contract.  It's 2/3rds for 26+ & 1/3rd for <26.  No special treatment for 35+ as far as buyouts go.  And as stated a few times in this thread, it's really irrelevant now because Sammy can't be bought out any more, either ordinary course or compliance.  

Edited by ogreslayer, 15 August 2013 - 10:15 PM.

#92 The Axe

The Axe

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 11:24 PM

If you mean his buyout pay, that's 2/3rds of his remaining salary spread out over twice the remaining years of the contract.  It's 2/3rds for 26+ & 1/3rd for <26.  No special treatment for 35+ as far as buyouts go.  And as stated a few times in this thread, it's really irrelevant now because Sammy can't be bought out any more, either ordinary course or compliance.  

Can he be boarded in practice 10 times a day?

#93 ogreslayer

ogreslayer

1st Line All-Star

• HoF Booster
  • 1,959 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 11:25 PM

Can he be boarded in practice 10 times a day?

I think the minimum standard is 20

#94 The Axe

The Axe

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 11:43 PM

I think the minimum standard is 20

Yah. Sammy has us hostage.

#95 Mikeal

Mikeal

Rookie

• HoF Booster
  • 199 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 01:29 AM

Yah. Sammy has us hostage.

Just let Sammy start practicing.  He will injury multiple people like he has in the past and we won't have a roster limit problem anymore.

#96 The Axe

The Axe

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 09:21 AM

Just let Sammy start practicing.  He will injury multiple people like he has in the past and we won't have a roster limit problem anymore.

I know, right! With our luck, he will break Helm's ankle with a snap shot, tear Nyquist's ACL with a knee on knee hit, and give DeKeyser a concussion while boarding him before the season starts.

#97 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,056 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 11:50 AM

BTW, I love how hypocritical typical Detroit fan is about signing players. Bertuzzi is too old. Get Jagr instead. Samuelsson was hurt a lot one year he's injury prone. Lecavalier missed 20% of his games the last 3 years they should sign him to a multi-year contract.

Jagr right now > Bertuzzi right now

Lecavalier right now > Samuelsson right now

Granted, Jagr and Lecavalier would be more expensive than Bertuzzi and Samuelsson, respectively. And there's the whole issue with top-six minutes. But I don't see anything wrong with, say, "Bertuzzi is too [insert whatever]. Jagr, on the other hand - he's doing pretty well for himself...."

Edited by Dabura, 16 August 2013 - 11:53 AM.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#98 DickieDunn

DickieDunn

http://redwingsandotherthings.wordpress.com/

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,397 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 06:03 PM

BTW, I love how hypocritical typical Detroit fan is about signing players. Bertuzzi is too old. Get Jagr instead. Samuelsson was hurt a lot one year he's injury prone. Lecavalier missed 20% of his games the last 3 years they should sign him to a multi-year contract.

Jagr right now > Bertuzzi right now
Lecavalier right now > Samuelsson right now

Granted, Jagr and Lecavalier would be more expensive than Bertuzzi and Samuelsson, respectively. And there's the whole issue with top-six minutes. But I don't see anything wrong with, say, "Bertuzzi is too [insert whatever]. Jagr, on the other hand - he's doing pretty well for himself...."

Jagr is still old. VL is still injury prone.

Oh this young man has had a very trying rookie season, with the litigation, the notoriety, his subsequent deportation to Canada and that country's refusal to accept him, well, I guess that's more than most 21-year-olds can handle... Ogie Ogilthorpe!