• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
vladdy16

Preds Managemant Charging Hawks Fans Double

Rate this topic

Well.....Our very own Red Wings are doing it to those of us who wish to attend the Winter Classic...

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but those who purchased tickets for the WC were more or less 'forced' into purchasing tickets for the Alumni game at Tiger Stadium?

I can understand this specific instance of "bundling" the WC/Alumni games because it's a package-type of event. I guess the only real difference to me is that they are doing this with "normal" regular season games. I think it's lame and will fail to artificially create a Hawks/Preds rivalry.

Guest Crymson

They can't force you to buy multiple tickets, nor can they stop hawks fans living in Nashville from buying tickets

Also it's discrimination, and shouldn't even be allowed

It's not legally discrimination of any kind. There is no legal description for discrimination against fans of opposing sports teams.

How will they know if you're a hawks fan or not? If you buy a preds fan ticket and wear a hawks jersey do they not let you in? Do they check to see if you wear hawks shirt under another shirt? This is just stupidity

Good point. How do they know what team you're a fan of other than what you're wearing?

They ask you to name 10 hockey players. If you get it right they know you're not a Preds fsn

Um... Couldn't a hawks fan just buy a ticket off stub hub or something? Just buy their one ticket like everyone does and move on? I don't think this will keep many hawks fans out of their building...

This is what I immediately thought of when I saw the thread title. Granted I understand the idea behind what they're doing with everything, and I don't see the wrong in it, but I don't even bother buying tickets through any Detroit organization anymore unless StubHub is really high up in price. That will all change when I eventually get season tickets on day, though.

Or a hawks fan

Difference between Hawks fans and Preds fans: The Hawks are from the Windy City, so the drool lines go across their faces instead of straight down from the sagging mouth.

Too bad that's not what you said. Maybe you should take a second to re-read your own words. You said if you think this is a new thing, you haven't bought tickets to a sporting event in quite some time (so you meant to say anywhere except the state of Michigan where the team this website is dedicated to resides?). I have bought many tickets, to many different sporting events, very recently and for a long time, and I've never seen or went through that, cause none of my teams have done that (proving your ticket-buying logic very wrong). And umm, I live in Michigan (just like many of the fans here) so obviously most of us stick with events here in our home state. So, despite the fact that I attend around 20 live sporting events a year (of all different sports), I have "limited experience" in ticket buying because I attend games in my home state? Maybe I can hit the lotto and decide it's time to drive thousands of miles from home to watch teams I can watch here in Detroit/Michigan. Then maybe I can finally gain some ticket buying experience :sigh: But until I become a millionaire, I guess I'll stick with sporting events here in Michigan. And I'm not your pal, friend.

So by your own admission, you've been limited to buying tickets within the state of Michigan up to this point. Good to know. My own experience (off the top of my head) includes attending games in at least 9 states over the past decade & the ticketing experience bumps up to double digits easily counting window shopping at venues in other states and passing on tickets due to some of the shenanigans I'll mention. In regards to ticket gimmicks organizations have used with specific "premier" match-ups, I've run into everything from extreme markups on specific games due to the opponent and/or time of the season, having to buy 1 additional non-premier game & in at least one case having to buy a pre-season game, having to buy multi-game packages (6 is the most I've seen & that was at the college level btw), having to enter a lottery drawing to even "win" the chance to buy a ticket to a regular season game with the additional higher cost of it being a "premier" game too, having zip code restrictions on certain games, & having to purchase tickets during an "exclusive pre-sale" that really aren't exclusive because the "exclusive" part is that the premier games go on sale early with an additional markup included on the already higher premier game price. And yes, they do still sell out during that pre-sale.

Other than the zip code restriction, the one thing that all of these have in common is, for lack of a better word, greed. It's not about "sticking it" to another team's fan base, especially since these gimmicks apply to anyone buying a ticket. (Read the article, not just the OP's opinion. That's what Nashville is actually doing with the exception of the zip code lock but that's only on the pre-sale.) These organizations know that certain games/opponents have greater appeal & instead of letting the scalpers make the extra profit, they're now taking it for themselves. It's all supply & demand, maximizing profits, & has been going on for years. Not so much in the NHL maybe or for a handful of teams in one particular state in your experience, but it happens a whole hell of a lot in the rest of the world. The worst offender that I've seen over the years is MLB but the other leagues & even colleges are starting to catch up quickly.

You want specific examples? Here are just a handful of ones I've run across just with MLB: Live in a National League city & the Yankees are coming around for the first time in years for inter-league play? That's a mark-up for everyone. Want to attend the first series the Cubs have had in Boston in a century or the Yankees play in Fenway? That's a ticket lottery & huge mark-up for everyone. Want to get your Cubs/Sox Crosstown Classic tickets? That's an exclusive pre-sale, so pay for a higher priced ticket plus an additional 25% mark-up for the privilege before they sell out. And that's not even mentioning how some teams in the past were (and may still be) funneling tickets to ticket scalping companies that they actually own for those in demand games. Ultimately, what Nashville is doing with the mark-up on Blackhawks tickets is probably the least offensive thing that Major League Baseball is doing with ticket sales right now. FYI if you're a Tigers fan, they actually do the same thing. 3 pricing tiers on tickets depending on the time of year and/or opponent.

Edit: One other quick edit & that's about the title of this thread being inaccurate beyond this just effecting Blackhawks fans. Paying double means buying tickets at the same price point for both games which, by all appearances, you don't have to do. If you're buying lower bowl for the Hawks game & buy an upper bowl for the other, you're looking at a ~38% mark-up in having to buy the extra game. By comparison, look at the difference say between an April game at Comerica vs. the Royals that's in the "value" tier or a June game vs. the Red Sox that's a "premium" game. That's a 25% mark-up between the two. FYI, those mark-ups for Tigers games actually are worse from a percentage standpoint the cheaper the tickets are i.e. their mark-up for the cheapest seats (skyline) is 66% between the top & bottom tier. The difference with Nashville is that you can always try to sell off the tickets to the extra game to recoup some or all of the mark-up.

Edited by ogreslayer

Hawks fans are the worst, don't blame them. All I see is hawks hats in chi anymore, now everyone's in love with the cubs/sox/bears/bulls/ once again.

No matter how hot one of those teams may be at any given moment, Chicago with always be a Bears city first & foremost.

Well.....Our very own Red Wings are doing it to those of us who wish to attend the Winter Classic...

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but those who purchased tickets for the WC were more or less 'forced' into purchasing tickets for the Alumni game at Tiger Stadium?

Not all packages were like that. For example, I didn't get tickets to the Alumni game, just one of the GLI games. I wish I had Alumni tickets. But yes, they did make you buy a ticket package.

And bringing MLB style tiered pricing for premier games to the NHL are the Chicago Blackhawks & Toronto Maple Leafs:

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2013-08-20/sports/ct-spt-0821-blackhawks-chicago-20130821_1_300-level-seats-single-game-tickets-canadiens

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/story/2013/08/21/toronto-leafs-tickets-tiered-pricing.html

The first 2 teams of many in the coming years I would imagine.

And bringing MLB style tiered pricing for premier games to the NHL are the Chicago Blackhawks & Toronto Maple Leafs:

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2013-08-20/sports/ct-spt-0821-blackhawks-chicago-20130821_1_300-level-seats-single-game-tickets-canadiens

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/story/2013/08/21/toronto-leafs-tickets-tiered-pricing.html

The first 2 teams of many in the coming years I would imagine.

Just goes to prove once again - if that wasn't even needed - how lucky we as DetroitRedWings fans can be, for having the best owner in all of sports. Wirtz and MLSE are just a big joke, they aren't in because they love the game they want to squeeze out as much money as possible. The Hawks are milking the bandwagon-thing till no end it seems, disgrace.