• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
dobbles

NHL 30 in 30 covers the Wings today

Rate this topic

nhl.com is working through all 30 teams and posting several articles each day when a team comes up on the list. Today is the Wings day, so I thought I would post the links.

WINGS OF CHANGE

Detroit's roster features new guys in first year in Eastern Conference

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=680051&navid=DL|NHL|home

Age, health among questions for Red Wings

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=680048

Detroit will rely heavily on Howard

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=680098

Red Wings retool with Weiss, Alfredsson

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=680055

Time for Red Wings to turn to their youth

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=680252

nothing too earth shattering in the articles, but what did everyone think of the prospects article? i was suprised that dekeyser was on the list, but andersson, nyquist, and tatar weren't. all of them have varying numbers of nhl games played, but especially with tatar, he to me is still a prospect.

I honestly think the Wings are just beyond comprehension and the media has given up - just chime out stock answers. Every article for the past 10 or so years has discussed their decline and need for a youth movement.

Surprisingly a very good article, although they've left out some concerns such as the lack of toughness, grit and adjustment time. Comparing Alfreddson to Hossa is a stretch no way he can provide what Hossa did but it's only one year so not a big deal. Weiss has to stay healthy and I'd still rather have had Clarkson than him. Both players are ok signings but nothing to get thrilled about.

Oveerall I agree with a lot of the mentioned points in the article, the Wings will go as far as Howard and the young guns can take them, which means fighting. for a playoff spot and an end to the impressive winning the cup at least every six years streak.

So basically this season could look a lot like last years.

Edited by frankgrimes

The X-factor is Howard? How many times does Jimmy have to prove that he can hold his own? He may not have the flash that Quick or other goalies have, but that kid is a workhorse. Never takes a night off. When it comes to reliable goaltending he's right up there with King Henrik and other top goalies.

Alfredsson is a 1 year complimentary piece. I'm betting he'll work out great as another veteran swede, but if he doesnt, oh well. He'll be retired in a year. Honestly we're lucky to have him as an option for the time being.

Weiss is who I'm most excited about. Watched him since he was 16 with the Plymouth Whalers. Since then I've followed him. He's been a top line center for the Panthers for years with almost no other decent players around him and yet he's preformed (aslo their captain). On this team he'll a well above average 2nd line center.... Which will also allow Datsyuk and Zetterberg to play together so they can get all their sexiness on :)

Whether the young guns step up or not doesn't matter. We have many plan B options. If Nyquist, Andersson, or Tatar don't cut it, we always have Bertuzzi and Sammy to step in.

The only real weakness I can pick out is at D. But again most of our D is young and due to become ever better this year and throughout the year. CANT WAIT

The only good thing from the article is I really liked their line predictions of:

Z Pav Abby

Qist Weiss Alfie

Franzen Helm Tatar

Miller Andy Bert

The first time I looked at this I did a double take... Then I realized I actually really like that third line. 3 balanced scoring lines is something we haven't had in years. Not to mention that the second line just looks fun to watch.

Surprisingly a very good article, although they've left out some concerns such as the lack of toughness, grit and adjustment time. Comparing Alfreddson to Hossa is a stretch no way he can provide what Hossa did but it's only one year so not a big deal. Weiss has to stay healthy and I'd still rather have had Clarkson than him. Both players are ok signings but nothing to get thrilled about.

Oveerall I agree with a lot of the mentioned points in the article, the Wings will go as far as Howard and the young guns can take them, which means fighting. for a playoff spot and an end to the impressive winning the cup at least every six years streak.

So basically this season could look a lot like last years.

I wouldn't mind Clarkson at half the money and term he got. He's a net front banger who fights getting paid like a star who can carry a line.

Weiss was a guy I wanted since Florida put him up for trade. Much more consistent than Filppula.

Alfredsson is a one year plug in while Tatar and Nyquist improve.

A goalie relied on over and over again will wear down. As they get older, they will become more susceptible to injury, especially those of the long-term type.

This is why a reliable backup goalie is important.

In this regard, I have zero confidence in Gustavsson and I hope someone in the organization will end up replacing him, sooner and not later.