• Please log in to reply
81 replies to this topic

#21 turbowhistle86

turbowhistle86

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 272 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 03:50 PM

I fear Grand Rapids the most....they take our talent and leave us with Sammy and Bert pretending to be roster players.

#22 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,038 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 07:10 PM

I fear Grand Rapids the most....they take our talent and leave us with Sammy and Bert pretending to be roster players.

Well the point of this thread was to discuss new enemies and why people fear them. The Grand Rapids are the Wings farmteam.

lidsretire2.jpg

Thank you so much perfect human being #5

Welcome to hockeytown Jonas aka Lundquist 2 Gustavsson!

Phase I: injury rattled roster Phase II: BABCOCK Phase III: Playoffs XXIII !

#23 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,160 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 08:01 PM

Boston and Pittsburgh.  

I see Ottawa as an up and coming team, though.    

Edited by GMRwings1983, 20 August 2013 - 08:01 PM.

According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#24 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,356 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 09:01 PM

Boston and Pittsburgh.  

I see Ottawa as an up and coming team, though.    

ya, up, and coming to play golf in July

I'm a Red Wing for the next three years and I'm going to make sure every team we play knows that.'' -- Jordin Tootoo

#25 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,160 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 09:06 PM

ya, up, and coming to play golf in July

Isn't everyone playing golf in July?

They went to the 2nd round last year and have a good mixture of skill and grit.  

Something we don't have.  A mixture of skill and grit.

#26 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,356 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 09:27 PM

Isn't everyone playing golf in July?

They went to the 2nd round last year and have a good mixture of skill and grit.  

Something we don't have.  A mixture of skill and grit.

name 5 players on their team better then ours. (and don't say Spezza > Emmerton) and I meant May/June not July  :bounce:

I'm a Red Wing for the next three years and I'm going to make sure every team we play knows that.'' -- Jordin Tootoo

#27 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,160 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 09:49 PM

name 5 players on their team better then ours. (and don't say Spezza > Emmerton) and I meant May/June not July  :bounce:

Didn't say they were great or better/worse than us.

I just said they were an up and coming team.  Not a stretch when you look at last season.         

Besides, it doesn't matter if our roster is better on paper than theirs.  This isn't the NBA, where you can win on talent alone.      

#28 TheDetroitRedWings

TheDetroitRedWings

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,164 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 10:04 PM

I just said they were an up and coming team.  Not a stretch when you look at last season.         

Besides, it doesn't matter if our roster is better on paper than theirs.  This isn't the NBA, where you can win on talent alone.      

I actually agree that they are an up and coming team. But to add to your earlier point about their playoff success last year. Well, the Wings were 1 game away from eliminating the Stanley Cup champions, so obviously it's not that we're just better on paper, we're just plain better (and that was before the additions of Alfredsson and Weiss) and we proved it on the ice.

12041887825_d4b1d5c02f_o.jpg

#29 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,160 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 10:13 PM

I actually agree that they are an up and coming team. But to add to your earlier point about their playoff success last year. Well, the Wings were 1 game away from eliminating the Stanley Cup champions, so obviously it's not that we're just better on paper, we're just plain better (and that was before the additions of Alfredsson and Weiss) and we proved it on the ice.

I hope so.  I think there's more up and coming teams in the East than the West.  Many of them seem to be in our division.  

#30 TheDetroitRedWings

TheDetroitRedWings

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,164 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 10:24 PM

I hope so.  I think there's more up and coming teams in the East than the West.  Many of them seem to be in our division.  

Agreed.

12041887825_d4b1d5c02f_o.jpg

#31 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,038 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 12:00 AM

The Senators for sure are going to play with a chip on their shoulder against the DetroitRedWings. I see both teams on equal footing, to me the east is gated in 3 sections top tier, second hier and the top 5 pick teams such as Buffalo, Florida. The second tier teams are those, that will fight out the last remaining spots and as others have mentioned, it will be a very unpredictable pool.

I fully expect the Rangers to have a bounce back season under Vigenault, Sather knows if they want Lundquist to stay NYR has to be better.

lidsretire2.jpg

#32 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,356 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 06:09 AM

I agree you can't win on talent alone. But I think the Sens will be worse this year than last.

#33 turbowhistle86

turbowhistle86

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 272 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 08:31 AM

Well the point of this thread was to discuss new enemies and why people fear them. The Grand Rapids are the Wings farmteam.

Ah, thanks for the clarification. As an avid Wings fan I was totally unaware of who our minor league affiliate is. In case you forgot, this is an online discussion about a freaking game....lighten up.

#34 Ally

Ally

just figured out how to change my title

• PipPip
  • 463 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 05:47 PM

The team I fear is also the team that I'm most excited for. Bruins.

"Everything he does is exciting to watch.” -Holmstrom describes Datsyuk

#35 Wingnut in WA

Wingnut in WA

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 05:52 PM

Boston, Boston, and Boston.

#36 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,407 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 07:26 PM

Not so much "enemies"; I'd sooner refer to it as "the renewal of some old, time-honoured rivalries".

"Mess up tomorrow, don't mess up now".

- Harry James Benson, CBE.

#37 hillbillywingsfan

hillbillywingsfan

Awww poor butch

• Gold Booster
  • 3,486 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 08:25 PM

The teams I fear the most are the crappy teams like the Islanders and Montreal. Recently it just seems like the wings have so much trouble with the bottom feeder teams. The team I am going to hate to see all the time is Pittsburgh of course.

msg-10491-1258682020.jpg

I LIVE IN TEXAS SO I DON'T DESERVE HOCKEY

#38 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,160 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 08:27 PM

The teams I fear the most are the crappy teams like the Islanders and Montreal. Recently it just seems like the wings have so much trouble with the bottom feeder teams. The team I am going to hate to see all the time is Pittsburgh of course.

Well, the Islanders may not be a crappy team anymore.  They had a surprising playoff appearance last year.  

#39 Yzerfan1999

Yzerfan1999

Hall-of-Famer

• Silver Booster
  • 2,451 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 09:24 PM

I think the Wings will kick the living out of Toronto.  Their goaltending is weak, and their tough approach (ie gooning it up) only works when the other team wants to fight. The Leafs got too many wins against Ottawa and MTL last season because those teams thought they could stand with them.  Had they actually played HOCKEY, they could easily beat the Leafs. I actually think the Leafs would have missed the playoffs if they had played a full season last year.  Bolland is a good pick up, Clarkson was the biggest waste ever.  I guarantee he doesnt score more than 15 goals.  He will crack under the pressure of the Toronto media. 

Other than the Wings, Boston is the most solid team in the division, but to be honest I think every other team is dreading the arrival of the Wings.  Should be fun.

When you lose, say little. When you win, say less.

--Thanks for the Sig. Offsides--

#40 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,038 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 11:59 PM

Not so much "enemies"; I'd sooner refer to it as "the renewal of some old, time-honoured rivalries".

To me it is really simple:

All NON RedWings teams which are all 29 others are enemies, with some these enemies the team shares some nice gold ole rivalries.

I think the Wings will kick the living sh*t out of Toronto.  Their goaltending is weak, and their tough approach (ie gooning it up) only works when the other team wants to fight. The Leafs got too many wins against Ottawa and MTL last season because those teams thought they could stand with them.  Had they actually played HOCKEY, they could easily beat the Leafs. I actually think the Leafs would have missed the playoffs if they had played a full season last year.  Bolland is a good pick up, Clarkson was the biggest waste ever.  I guarantee he doesnt score more than 15 goals.  He will crack under the pressure of the Toronto media.

Reimer/Bernier or Bernier/Reimer is not exactly a weak goaltending duo far from it, it may not be elite and Howard is obviously better than the two but the Leafs aren't a team one should take likely. I hate the fact, that people are reducing players to only scoresheet numbers, there is so much more when it comes down to hockeyplayers, Bolland is a two time Stanley Cup champion a proven winner, Clarkson the total package he can slot in on a second line or carry a 3 line, drop the gloves, hit and provide points also. Some fans may not like it but playing a physical game and even beyond the edge is part of hockey, so saying Leafs haven't played hockey is wrong.

Well, the Islanders may not be a crappy team anymore.  They had a surprising playoff appearance last year.

Vokun kept the highly favored Penguins in this series and provided them with the win, otherwise no doubt the Isles would have advanced. I think with their young core and Tavares becoming one of the premier players in this league their crappy days may soon be behind them, which makes me happy the Islesfans deserve better.

lidsretire2.jpg