• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Jedi

San Jose Sharks decide to use practice jerseys from now on...

Rate this topic

I don't see the big deal. The jerseys won't win any "Awesome Jersey" competition, but they're not the most hideous we've ever seen in the NHL. This generates a big "meh" from me.

But it does get annoying how some teams change their jerseys every year and say it'll magically make them better.

Well, I'm guessing the rationale of creating better performance is really there because there should be a real reason to re-design the jerseys. The real reason is to generate more jersey sales, but they aren't going to come out and use that in the media release.

I'm sorry, but it gets tiresome when so many people automatically think the Wings' jerseys are the best just because we are fans of the team. Like anything else, we can try to say, no, honestly, I think they are the best, but as fans, it is impossible to be objective.

I'm not a fan of the Sharks' jerseys either, but I'm not about to make fun of them because they are going to these, basically using practice jerseys. That makes no sense to me. If you don't like the jerseys, that's more about personal preference.

If you are really concerned about them looking simply like practice jerseys, if you have a look at the Wings' jerseys, they are more similar to their practice jerseys than the Sharks. In fact, some might make the argument that the Wings' game jerseys are more "simple" than the practice jerseys. But that's okay because they are "classic" right?

To be fair, it's not just Wings fans that think they have one of the greatest jerseys/logos in the sport if not the greatest:

http://www.thehockeynews.com/articles/27471-The-Hockey-News-NHL-Jersey-Rankings.html

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1304679-ranking-the-nhls-home-uniforms#/articles/1304679-ranking-the-nhls-home-uniforms/page/31

http://espn.go.com/espn/playbook/story/_/id/8298736/uni-watch-power-rankings-rates-nhl-uniforms-1-30

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/nhl-logo-power-rankings-from-stunning-to-ugly/

Are you being sarcastic when you suggest "classic" when it really only relates to the 90s? Hard to tell. Reason I ask is because laces were used by a lot of teams back in the 50s, 60s, use in the 90s was a throw back thing.

Yes and no. Laces were all the rage in the 90s (for soccer strips too) in a classic/throwback way. So this is about 20 years too late to be on the laces bandwagon - unless they're throwing back to the 90s of course, they were 20 years ago ;) 80s fashion is all the rage atm, so its only a matter of time before the 90s come back in (and I can be cool again! :lol: )

I'm sorry, but it gets tiresome when so many people automatically think the Wings' jerseys are the best just because we are fans of the team. Like anything else, we can try to say, no, honestly, I think they are the best, but as fans, it is impossible to be objective.

Its an O6 jersey, and there isn't an O6 team that looks bad. I find Boston a bit meh, but thats just me. Toronto, Montreal, NYR, even the Chicago Frakking Blackhawks, all look great.

Yes and no. Laces were all the rage in the 90s (for soccer strips too) in a classic/throwback way. So this is about 20 years too late to be on the laces bandwagon - unless they're throwing back to the 90s of course, they were 20 years ago ;) 80s fashion is all the rage atm, so its only a matter of time before the 90s come back in (and I can be cool again! :lol: )

Its an O6 jersey, and there isn't an O6 team that looks bad. I find Boston a bit meh, but thats just me. Toronto, Montreal, NYR, even the Chicago Frakking Blackhawks, all look great.

I always thought the rangers had some of the ugliest jerseys in the nhl... I guess that's just me

I'm not a fan of the Sharks' jerseys either, but I'm not about to make fun of them because they are going to these, basically using practice jerseys. That makes no sense to me. If you don't like the jerseys, that's more about personal preference.

If you are really concerned about them looking simply like practice jerseys, if you have a look at the Wings' jerseys, they are more similar to their practice jerseys than the Sharks. In fact, some might make the argument that the Wings' game jerseys are more "simple" than the practice jerseys. But that's okay because they are "classic" right?

Not sure if this was directed at me. (I'm narcissistic.)

I don't think these jerseys are lame because they look like practice-wear. I think they're lame because, well, they're lame. But I do also think there's maybe something to the idea that this is "Practice Uniform" done wrong, whereas ours is it done right.

"Because it's 'classic'?"

I guess, yes. But I'm not talking about the heritage and legacy and all that. It's just a great look. It's, again, elegant. It's sexy. It works. It doesn't make more than half the people who see it go "Huh? Why? Where's the.... And why is there...."

Edited by Dabura

At least they got rid of the black unis.

Actually, no. They're still keeping the black 3rd. They even have a schedule as to which games they'll wear the black jerseys (including the January 19th game against Detroit). Long and short, they'll wear them every Thursday and Sunday, excluding the season opener.

https://twitter.com/SanJoseSharks/status/370276220182601728

#SJSharks will wear black, alternate sweaters 11 times this season (Thurs & Sun).

When they play the Jets

Actually, no. They're still keeping the black 3rd. They even have a schedule as to which games they'll wear the black jerseys (including the January 19th game against Detroit). Long and short, they'll wear them every Thursday and Sunday, excluding the season opener.

https://twitter.com/SanJoseSharks/status/370276220182601728

When they play the Jets, I hope they will have a West Side Story retro night.

West%20side%20story%20sharks.jpg

From The Malik Report:

Imagine the reaction if someone came up with the Red Wings' design today: "No, sorry, it's too plain -- can you add some black accents? And the logo has too much subtle detail. And where's the alternate uniform?" Fortunately, nobody was worried about any of those things back in 1932, when the Wings came out with their basic look. Eight decades later, it still works. Bonus points for the vertically arched lettering on the player names.

Indeed!

When they play the Jets, I hope they will have a West Side Story retro night.

That would be too clever by far. :)

Edited by MidMichSteve

From The Malik Report:

Imagine the reaction if someone came up with the Red Wings' design today: "No, sorry, it's too plain -- can you add some black accents? And the logo has too much subtle detail. And where's the alternate uniform?" Fortunately, nobody was worried about any of those things back in 1932, when the Wings came out with their basic look. Eight decades later, it still works. Bonus points for the vertically arched lettering on the player names.

Indeed!

Something that only 3 teams in the NHL currently use, Colorado, Detroit, and NYR.

Detroit's been using the vertical arched letters since 1982, New York since 1990, and Colorado since their inception in 1996.