Photo
- - - - -

San Jose Sharks decide to use practice jerseys from now on...

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#21 dirtydangles

dirtydangles

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,705 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 08:38 AM

I dislike the fact that their shoulder patch is practically the same as the front logo - looks kinda stupid. 

Is there a kickstarter campaign for Jakub Kindl to never play another NHL game?

#22 dobbles

dobbles

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 864 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 09:02 AM

is it really necessary to have a players number on their jersey in 4 places and on their helmet in 2?

as far as the design i am fine with it. would have liked to see some piping around the waist as that part looks bland, but overall they seem fine. i am with euro_twins, as a fan base we shoudnt be bashing them for being plain or like practice jerseys as the wings are the same way.

I love Maltby, but to say he wasn't a ****** is a dis-service to his career of douchebaggery.

#23 toby91_ca

toby91_ca

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 8,476 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 09:45 AM

I'm sorry, but it gets tiresome when so many people automatically think the Wings' jerseys are the best just because we are fans of the team.  Like anything else, we can try to say, no, honestly, I think they are the best, but as fans, it is impossible to be objective.

I'm not a fan of the Sharks' jerseys either, but I'm not about to make fun of them because they are going to these, basically using practice jerseys.  That makes no sense to me.  If you don't like the jerseys, that's more about personal preference. 

If you are really concerned about them looking simply like practice jerseys, if you have a look at the Wings' jerseys, they are more similar to their practice jerseys than the Sharks.  In fact, some might make the argument that the Wings' game jerseys are more "simple" than the practice jerseys.  But that's okay because they are "classic" right?

#24 toby91_ca

toby91_ca

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 8,476 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 10:03 AM

I'm digging the laces round the collar, very 90s :lol:

Sorry, "classic"

Are you being sarcastic when you suggest "classic" when it really only relates to the 90s?  Hard to tell.  Reason I ask is because laces were used by a lot of teams back in the 50s, 60s, use in the 90s was a throw back thing.

#25 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,518 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 10:08 AM

I don't see the big deal.  The jerseys won't win any "Awesome Jersey" competition, but they're not the most hideous we've ever seen in the NHL.  This generates a big "meh" from me.

But it does get annoying how some teams change their jerseys every year and say it'll magically make them better.

Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#26 toby91_ca

toby91_ca

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 8,476 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 10:20 AM

I don't see the big deal.  The jerseys won't win any "Awesome Jersey" competition, but they're not the most hideous we've ever seen in the NHL.  This generates a big "meh" from me.

But it does get annoying how some teams change their jerseys every year and say it'll magically make them better.

Well, I'm guessing the rationale of creating better performance is really there because there should be a real reason to re-design the jerseys.  The real reason is to generate more jersey sales, but they aren't going to come out and use that in the media release.

#27 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,738 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 10:40 AM

On the bright side, I don't see any ugly vertical stripes that are predominating (ruining) NHL jerseys right now.  

According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#28 55fan

55fan

All mine 'til 2-0-1-9

• HoF Booster
  • 12,906 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 12:26 PM

The sad part of all of this is how many shoulder caps, stripes, and orange accents are now unemployed in the Bay Area.

#29 ogreslayer

ogreslayer

1st Line All-Star

• HoF Booster
  • 1,973 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 12:51 PM

I'm sorry, but it gets tiresome when so many people automatically think the Wings' jerseys are the best just because we are fans of the team.  Like anything else, we can try to say, no, honestly, I think they are the best, but as fans, it is impossible to be objective.

I'm not a fan of the Sharks' jerseys either, but I'm not about to make fun of them because they are going to these, basically using practice jerseys.  That makes no sense to me.  If you don't like the jerseys, that's more about personal preference. 

If you are really concerned about them looking simply like practice jerseys, if you have a look at the Wings' jerseys, they are more similar to their practice jerseys than the Sharks.  In fact, some might make the argument that the Wings' game jerseys are more "simple" than the practice jerseys.  But that's okay because they are "classic" right?

To be fair, it's not just Wings fans that think they have one of the greatest jerseys/logos in the sport if not the greatest:

http://www.thehockey...y-Rankings.html

http://bleacherrepor...niforms/page/31

http://espn.go.com/e...l-uniforms-1-30

http://www.sportsnet...unning-to-ugly/

#30 Nev

Nev

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,054 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 01:23 PM

Are you being sarcastic when you suggest "classic" when it really only relates to the 90s?  Hard to tell.  Reason I ask is because laces were used by a lot of teams back in the 50s, 60s, use in the 90s was a throw back thing.

Yes and no.  Laces were all the rage in the 90s (for soccer strips too) in a classic/throwback way.  So this is about 20 years too late to be on the laces bandwagon - unless they're throwing back to the 90s of course, they were 20 years ago ;)  80s fashion is all the rage atm, so its only a matter of time before the 90s come back in (and I can be cool again! :lol: )

Its an O6 jersey, and there isn't an O6 team that looks bad.  I find Boston a bit meh, but thats just me.  Toronto, Montreal, NYR, even the Chicago Frakking Blackhawks, all look great.

"If I can be totally honest, it's not a lot of guys you get impressed by. Actually, it's no one else but him. From the bench, to see what move he makes -- you're like, 'I wish I could do that.' Sometimes you sit on the bench and just think, 'wow,' and you look over to the other bench and they sit there and shake their heads, too. He has great, great skills. I'm probably not going to play with another player who has the kind of skills he has." Mikael Samuelsson on Pavel Datsyuk

#31 unsaddleddonald

unsaddleddonald

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 748 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 05:41 PM

I think I disagree with almost everybody on here.

Lump their old jerseys in with the crap piping that the Blues and Avalanche use (Predators used to use).

Simpler = better.

#32 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,237 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 08:54 PM

Yes and no.  Laces were all the rage in the 90s (for soccer strips too) in a classic/throwback way.  So this is about 20 years too late to be on the laces bandwagon - unless they're throwing back to the 90s of course, they were 20 years ago ;)  80s fashion is all the rage atm, so its only a matter of time before the 90s come back in (and I can be cool again! :lol: )

Its an O6 jersey, and there isn't an O6 team that looks bad.  I find Boston a bit meh, but thats just me.  Toronto, Montreal, NYR, even the Chicago Frakking Blackhawks, all look great.

I always thought the rangers had some of the ugliest jerseys in the nhl... I guess that's just me

#33 Wingznut

Wingznut

Jr. Prospect

• 23 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 10:29 PM

is it really necessary to have a players number on their jersey in 4 places and on their helmet in 2?

The number on the front is the worst part about these uniforms.

#34 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,086 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 03:26 AM

Not sure if this was directed at me. (I'm narcissistic.)

I don't think these jerseys are lame because they look like practice-wear. I think they're lame because, well, they're lame. But I do also think there's maybe something to the idea that this is "Practice Uniform" done wrong, whereas ours is it done right.

"Because it's 'classic'?"

I guess, yes. But I'm not talking about the heritage and legacy and all that. It's just a great look. It's, again, elegant. It's sexy. It works. It doesn't make more than half the people who see it go "Huh? Why? Where's the.... And why is there...."

Edited by Dabura, 22 August 2013 - 03:28 AM.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#35 MidMichSteve

MidMichSteve

Thanks to #5

• HoF Booster
  • 4,226 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 06:41 AM

They're changing to the practice uniforms because they don't choke in practice. They're hoping it will carry over to the games.

From now on, Patrick Roy will be rolled out to and from the Avs' bench like Hannibal Lecter. - BottleOfSmoke

#36 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,612 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 07:08 AM

Mo' jerseys = Mo' monies.

"Mess up tomorrow, don't mess up now".

- Harry James Benson, CBE.

#37 paulwoodsfan

paulwoodsfan

Rookie

• Pip
  • 173 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 11:59 AM

At least they got rid of the black unis.

#38 Jedi

Jedi

Spell Forged - Unparalleled Quality

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 9,807 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 02:31 PM

At least they got rid of the black unis.

Actually, no.  They're still keeping the black 3rd.  They even have a schedule as to which games they'll wear the black jerseys (including the January 19th game against Detroit).  Long and short, they'll wear them every Thursday and Sunday, excluding the season opener.

https://twitter.com/...276220182601728

#SJSharks will wear black, alternate sweaters 11 times this season (Thurs & Sun).

snyoep.jpg
"I am the sword in the darkness... I am the watcher on the walls...
I am the shield that guards the realms of men..."

#39 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,738 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 03:32 PM

When they play the Jets

Actually, no.  They're still keeping the black 3rd.  They even have a schedule as to which games they'll wear the black jerseys (including the January 19th game against Detroit).  Long and short, they'll wear them every Thursday and Sunday, excluding the season opener.

https://twitter.com/...276220182601728

When they play the Jets, I hope they will have a West Side Story retro night.

West%20side%20story%20sharks.jpg

According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#40 MidMichSteve

MidMichSteve

Thanks to #5

• HoF Booster
  • 4,226 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 03:39 PM

From The Malik Report:

Imagine the reaction if someone came up with the Red Wings' design today: "No, sorry, it's too plain -- can you add some black accents? And the logo has too much subtle detail. And where's the alternate uniform?" Fortunately, nobody was worried about any of those things back in 1932, when the Wings came out with their basic look. Eight decades later, it still works. Bonus points for the vertically arched lettering on the player names.

Indeed!

When they play the Jets, I hope they will have a West Side Story retro night.

That would be too clever by far. :)

Edited by MidMichSteve, 22 August 2013 - 03:40 PM.

From now on, Patrick Roy will be rolled out to and from the Avs' bench like Hannibal Lecter. - BottleOfSmoke