• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Wings_Dynasty

Keep Tootoo, Drop Cleary

Rate this topic

They were running the Wings all game. After that, not so much. Having a guy that plays 6 minutes a night to fight isn't as much of a deterrent anymore, but if you have someone playing fairly regularly who's also willing to drop the gloves, I think that absolutely can be a deterrent. Many times I've seen an agitator throttle back a little bit after the prospect of getting punched in the face becomes a real threat. It shows you won't be pushed around, and no one likes getting punched in the face.

See, this I can get behind. Considering there are twice as many forwards as defensemen, I would much prefer to have one of them "deter" other players. While I'm not sure they'd fit on the Red Wings, guys like Prust and Neil are good examples here. They can play in the top 9, contribute offensively and throw their weight around. I also feel like better players like Simmonds, Clarkson, Ott, Lucic, Clowe, etc are effective, but you lose out on the offense and PP presence they provide if they're in the box for 5 mins all the time. It's definitely nice to have a forward who is able to keep other teams in check.

Since some people seem to be confused with the thread title, I officially re-dub it:

Keep Tootoo, Please Kenny DO NOT Sign UFA Cleary As Some Media Outlets Have Reported That You Wish To Do Because He Is A Drain On The Team And The Cap And Tootoo Would Be Better For The Team On The Fourth Line Than Cleary Would Be On The Third.

I think there might also be something to the Tootoo-'s-never-won-the-Cup thing. Maybe not quite a Dallas Drake hunger, nor a Daniel Alfredsson drive, and I know there are those who feel that if Tootoo ever wins the Cup, the world will implode...but, just sayin'.

Guest Crymson

I think there might also be something to the Tootoo-'s-never-won-the-Cup thing. Maybe not quite a Dallas Drake hunger, nor a Daniel Alfredsson drive, and I know there are those who feel that if Tootoo ever wins the Cup, the world will implode...but, just sayin'.

Dallas Drake played a significant role on hockey teams from age 23 until he finally won the Cup at 39. Tootoo is a 30-year-old role player. He's not nearing retirement age, and he's not one of the "let's win the Cup for ____" guys.

Bertuzzi has never won a Cup either, and he's much more of a locker room presence.

Dallas Drake played a significant role on hockey teams from age 23 until he finally won the Cup at 39. Tootoo is a 30-year-old role player. He's not nearing retirement age, and he's not one of the "let's win the Cup for ____" guys.

Bertuzzi has never won a Cup either, and he's much more of a locker room presence.

I can only imagine the hatred around the NHL if Bertuzzi is the first guy Zetterberg hands the Cup to.

Datsyuk, Howard, kronner, all get before alfie

I could see Howard since it'll be his first, but Pavel and Nik have won it before. I see Alfie just because he's waited so long and is the "big name", but it could just as easily be Howard if he is the guy who carries the team, or even Bert since he's been a Wing longer. I keep forgetting Bert hasn't won it since he was with us and left before the last Cup.

Because of his role, I don't see Toots getting any special consideration even though it's his first, but I don't think that he's the kind of guy who is going to worry about it as long as he gets his turn.

I could see Howard since it'll be his first, but Pavel and Nik have won it before. I see Alfie just because he's waited so long and is the "big name", but it could just as easily be Howard if he is the guy who carries the team, or even Bert since he's been a Wing longer. I keep forgetting Bert hasn't won it since he was with us and left before the last Cup.

Because of his role, I don't see Toots getting any special consideration even though it's his first, but I don't think that he's the kind of guy who is going to worry about it as long as he gets his turn.

All solid points, I just want to see dats hoist at least one more cup, and preferably get it from z.

Also I always believe conn smythe winner should hoist the cup at least 3rd or 4th, it kind of annoyed me how long it took quick to get the cup when the kings won, considering he was the main reason they won. So whoever the mvp is should be one of the first few to get the cup imo

Guest Crymson

Datsyuk, Howard, kronner, all get before alfie

Based on the available data, it's almost certain that Bertuzzi or Alfredsson would lead off.

Edited by Crymson

All solid points, I just want to see dats hoist at least one more cup, and preferably get it from z.

Also I always believe conn smythe winner should hoist the cup at least 3rd or 4th, it kind of annoyed me how long it took quick to get the cup when the kings won, considering he was the main reason they won. So whoever the mvp is should be one of the first few to get the cup imo

Agreed. People like Drake who have waited forever, or Cleary who was the first ___________ to win the Cup (in his case, Newfoundlander) should have a first crack, but the Conn Smythe winner should certainly be in the first few.

We're kind of putting the cart before the horse here, but I'll take this over rooting for a team that hopes they make the playoffs any day.

Oh, look, it's almost football season.... Go Lions!

looking at Capgeek without any statements about the pros and cons of keeping a player, it just strikes me that Bert and Sammy are a financial liability....

The nice thing about that is next years UFA class (at this point in time) looks like a pretty decent list.

Not saying the WIngs should go after Jumbo Joe, but there is some decent talent heading to UFA next year.

And the Wings will have money to spend when they shed a few albatrosses of contracts!

The nice thing about that is next years UFA class (at this point in time) looks like a pretty decent list.

Not saying the WIngs should go after Jumbo Joe, but there is some decent talent heading to UFA next year.

And the Wings will have money to spend when they shed a few albatrosses of contracts!

Forward wise it looks ok, defensively there isn't much there

every ufa class looks great when its a year or more away. by the time the ufa period finally gets here it will be the same as all other years. a few legit players that will get massively overpaid and then a lot of role players that get moderately to massively overpaid.