• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
FireCaptain

Datsyuk wearing "C" during the Olympics?

Rate this topic

I found an article that ponders his chances of captaining Team Russia on MLive.

This article is NOT Brendan Savage's finest moment..

But Datsyuk could very well wear the "C" for the host team in the 2014 Winter Olympics in Sochi, Russia.

Other possible candidates include the Atlanta Thrashers' Ilya Kovalchuck, who was the Russian captain in the 2010 Olympics in Vancouver, and Ilya Nikulin, who wore the "C" at this summer's World Championships.

ATL?? Hmmm.. OK. They're not there anymore and it wasn't even his last team.

http://www.mlive.com/redwings/index.ssf/2013/08/could_detroit_red_wings_pavel.html

It'll probably be Ovechkin, since he's the face of the Russian team, especially in the media.

But Datsyuk would make the most sense, in terms of sportsmanship and experience in winning big games.

In any case, they have bigger problems to worry about than who the captain is. Their defense still looks weak on paper.

George Malik also believes Kovy will have the "C", and he has a pretty well thought reason for it too, his signing with the KHL...

http://kuklaskorner.com/tmr/comments/red-wings-afternoon-news-non-controversial-datsyuk-babcockian-praise-nyquis

Kovalchuk will be the captain this time around, and I do NOT expect Datsyuk to as much as wear a letter because the Russian Hockey Federation's likely to do what it usually does--reward KHLer's with letters on their chests.

I think it will be Ovechkin, though. No Russian was more vocal about the NHL participation in Sochi than he was.

I've always figured Datsyuk isn't nearly as popular in Russia as Ovechkin, Kovalchuk or Malkin. I don't live there anymore, so I don't know how much truth there is to that. I just know Datsyuk is more shy by nature, and it doesn't seem like he enjoys the same superstar status in that country as a result.

With all the political garbage that goes into building the Russian roster, their captain will absolutely come from the KHL ranks. That means rewarding Kovalchuk for being a good Russian & turning his back on the NHL so he will end up getting the C on his jersey. This is the same national team after all that put the C on Aleksey Morozov, who had spent the previous 6 seasons in the RSL/KHL, during the 2010 Olympics over the likes of Kovalchuk, Ovechkin, Malkin, & Datsyuk. If I had to put money on it, they'll give Kovalchuk the C & A's to Ovechkin & Malkin.

With all the political garbage that goes into building the Russian roster, their captain will absolutely come from the KHL ranks. That means rewarding Kovalchuk for being a good Russian & turning his back on the NHL so he will end up getting the C on his jersey. This is the same national team after all that put the C on Aleksey Morozov, who had spent the previous 6 seasons in the RSL/KHL, during the 2010 Olympics over the likes of Kovalchuk, Ovechkin, Malkin, & Datsyuk. If I had to put money on it, they'll give Kovalchuk the C & A's to Ovechkin & Malkin.

Yep.

No way. Firstly, Pav said it many times he doesn't want it. Secondly, and most important, they'll give it to Kovalchuk due to his heroic defection from NHL.

I don't think it was on a national scale, more of a ?bigger? newspaper having an award for being the best Russian in the NHL; Datsyuk just won that but I heard he spoke against the nations new anti-*** laws during the award ceremony. Anyways it could go either way but there is some good candidates for the job.

I don't think it was on a national scale, more of a ?bigger? newspaper having an award for being the best Russian in the NHL; Datsyuk just won that but I heard he spoke against the nations new anti-*** laws during the award ceremony. Anyways it could go either way but there is some good candidates for the job.

He didn't speak against them, he insinuated that he was in favor of those laws. So I doubt his position on homosexuality will bear negatively on his chances to be captain (at least not for the Russian team).

He might have figured that discretion was the better part of valor, so he kinda sorta didn't really say one way or the other...maybe to not get in trouble.