36 replies to this topic

#21 KATIEBARTHEDOOR24

KATIEBARTHEDOOR24

Love slave to the system

• PipPipPip
  • 744 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 10:21 PM

I know not of what you speak of.

And that goes along with the whole 89-90 season as well.
KOHARSKI, HAVE ANOTHER DONUT, YOU FAT PIG
"Statistics are for losers, unless they are good ones."- Mickey Redman
"Good... Bad... I'm the guy with the gun."- Ash
"Stay thirsty my friends."- The Most Interesting Man In The World

#22 Nev

Nev

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,039 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 03:15 AM

Lidstrom can live to be 100, win 5 consecutive terms as Swedish Prime Minister, be awarded the Nobel Prizes for Peace, Medicine and Literature, win the Oscar for best actor for his portrayal of Gustavos Alophus in Sean Avery's 9 hour epic "The 30 Years War", be raised to Sainthood by the Roman Catholic Church, all to go with his 4 Stanley Cups, Olympic Gold, World Championship gold, 12 All-Star appearances, 7 Norris Trophies, and 1 Conn Smythe.

And on his deathbed, all he will be able to think about is that last second shot that he fired straight into MAF's chest.

"If I can be totally honest, it's not a lot of guys you get impressed by. Actually, it's no one else but him. From the bench, to see what move he makes -- you're like, 'I wish I could do that.' Sometimes you sit on the bench and just think, 'wow,' and you look over to the other bench and they sit there and shake their heads, too. He has great, great skills. I'm probably not going to play with another player who has the kind of skills he has." Mikael Samuelsson on Pavel Datsyuk

#23 AtomicPunk

AtomicPunk

Nobody rules these streets at night like me...

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,099 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 07:53 AM

I just know there are some out there who are looking for it, hope you got it. It's rough to watch some other team skate with the Cup and your team sit there and watch. But it is an important game in Red Wing history.

Edited by AtomicPunk, 24 August 2013 - 07:54 AM.

I am a victim of the science age...the underground.

Feed the Swede! - RETIRED 2012

#24 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,871 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 11:56 AM

Lidstrom can live to be 100, win 5 consecutive terms as Swedish Prime Minister, be awarded the Nobel Prizes for Peace, Medicine and Literature, win the Oscar for best actor for his portrayal of Gustavos Alophus in Sean Avery's 9 hour epic "The 30 Years War", be raised to Sainthood by the Roman Catholic Church, all to go with his 4 Stanley Cups, Olympic Gold, World Championship gold, 12 All-Star appearances, 7 Norris Trophies, and 1 Conn Smythe.

And on his deathbed, all he will be able to think about is that last second shot that he fired straight into MAF's chest.

Still a heartbreaker but he didn't shoot it into his chest. MAF made an athletic save. There wasn't much net to look at.

#25 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,658 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 12:44 PM

Still a heartbreaker but he didn't shoot it into his chest. MAF made an athletic save. There wasn't much net to look at.

Would have been something if he roofed it.  I still can't believe we got such a good chance off the faceoff.  

Edited by GMRwings1983, 24 August 2013 - 12:45 PM.

According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#26 barabbas16

barabbas16

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 402 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 12:48 PM

Ah yes..... if only the newer (garbage) playoff model of MAF had come along a little bit sooner....

Edited by barabbas16, 24 August 2013 - 12:48 PM.

#27 Nev

Nev

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,039 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 12:50 PM

Memory is a funny thing isn't it?  In my minds eye I picture MAF diving full length and Lidstrom's blast hitting him on the logo, then I watch a replay and he kinda slides/falls over to stop it :(  But you're right, there wasn't much net to look at.

You know what really galls me about that?  Crosby won the Olympic Gold with a scuffed shot along the ice.  Hockey isn't always fair.

Ah yes..... if only the newer (garbage) playoff model of MAF had come along a little bit sooner....

To be fair, he was present and did his job superbly in games 1 + 2.  Once he stopped letting in softies we just didn't have enough left to get the job done.

"If I can be totally honest, it's not a lot of guys you get impressed by. Actually, it's no one else but him. From the bench, to see what move he makes -- you're like, 'I wish I could do that.' Sometimes you sit on the bench and just think, 'wow,' and you look over to the other bench and they sit there and shake their heads, too. He has great, great skills. I'm probably not going to play with another player who has the kind of skills he has." Mikael Samuelsson on Pavel Datsyuk

#28 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,871 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 12:51 PM

Well, he did score an own goal (was it the first Wings SCF goal?) off his butt. :P

That's the thing with Fleury. He'll make an incredibly athletic save, but then in the same period let in a backbreakingly bad goal. Unfortunately the athletic Fleury made an appearance there.

#29 barabbas16

barabbas16

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 402 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 01:04 PM

To be fair, he was present and did his job superbly in games 1 + 2.  Once he stopped letting in softies we just didn't have enough left to get the job done.

Well, he did score an own goal (was it the first Wings SCF goal?) off his butt. :P

That's the thing with Fleury. He'll make an incredibly athletic save, but then in the same period let in a backbreakingly bad goal. Unfortunately the athletic Fleury made an appearance there.

Ah, you know what I meant.  Getting out of the 1st round once since then.... sub-.900 save percentage in the playoffs every year since.... all of that despite playing for a consistent Stanley Cup favorite with all of that talent in front of him.  He's essentially the sole reason the Pens lost some of those series (in my opinion)

#30 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,871 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 01:12 PM

Ah, you know what I meant.  Getting out of the 1st round once since then.... sub-.900 save percentage in the playoffs every year since.... all of that despite playing for a consistent Stanley Cup favorite with all of that talent in front of him.  He's essentially the sole reason the Pens lost some of those series (in my opinion)

Definitely.

He's always been inconsistent, but he seems to have fallen apart.

#31 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,999 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 02:06 PM

Two words: Tomas Vokoun.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#32 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,605 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 06:43 PM

I do recall that this was the series that sealed Mr. Burr's fate in the organization.

"Mess up tomorrow, don't mess up now".

- Harry James Benson, CBE.

#33 Yzerfan1999

Yzerfan1999

Hall-of-Famer

• Silver Booster
  • 2,451 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 05:37 PM

Yuck.  1995.  I was 9.  I remember thinking it was Detroit's year.  One of the most painful hockey memories of my youth.  I recall the Wings going down 5-0 in game 3, Vernon getting pulled and my mom telling me I needed to take a bath, so I sat in the tub sobbing for an hour completely heartbroken.  Things got better after that, hahah. 

When you lose, say little. When you win, say less.

--Thanks for the Sig. Offsides--

#34 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 07:55 PM

They're playing Fedorov's five-goal game right now. Was it really the Belle Tire Power Play all the way back in 1997? When did that begin?

This is also bringing back bad memories of watching games without a scoreboard. I just began watching and have no idea of the period, the score, or the time. 

#35 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,508 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 08:31 PM

Repressed memory. No thanks.

That's exactly how I see it...

Was exceptionally depressing watching the 'clutch & grab' NJ Devils win the Cup...I still harbour hard feelings towards that franchise.

I do recall that this was the series that sealed Mr. Burr's fate in the organization.

Yup...Bowman claiming that Burr had more or less handed Neidermayer back his stick, and allowing him to skate down ice for the goal.

Would've loved to see guys like Burr, Ciccerelli, Probert, and Sheppard hoist the Cup.

'Evolution' created by Offsides

#36 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,508 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 08:37 PM

Since we're walking down memory lane...Tim Cheveldae was 1 of the last 'stand-up' netminders (I think Bill Ranford might've been the last), and he had that quirky ability to make 1 amazing save followed up with allowing a beach ball to bounce by him.

'Evolution' created by Offsides

#37 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,605 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 07:05 AM

Yup...Bowman claiming that Burr had more or less handed Neidermayer back his stick, and allowing him to skate down ice for the goal.

Would've loved to see guys like Burr, Ciccerelli, Probert, and Sheppard hoist the Cup.

Actually, what I was referring to was what was what happened prior to G4. I hung on the paper with the exact quotes for years, but I know I don't have them now.

Mr. Bowman announced that Mr. Burr would sit for G4, in an attempt to get some "scoring" into the lineup. Not one to let the comment go, Mr. Burr was quoted as saying that G4 was a fine time for Mr. Bowman to decide that scoring was a priority. From that day on, the "Bowman Trade Clock" was started and it wasn't a matter of "if", it was a matter of "when" Mr. Burr would be dealt.

Plus, the Devils worked the "clutch-and-grab" part of the game at the time to their advantage.

"Mess up tomorrow, don't mess up now".

- Harry James Benson, CBE.