• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

number9

Samuelsson: IR to All-Star?

Rate this topic

http://thehockeywriters.com/detroit-red-wings-mikael-samuelsson-ir-star/

Of course he's not going to be an actual "All-Star", but I'm also of the opinion that Sammy gets to much flack for a guy that never had a chance to show he's worth his cap hit. I think having him and Helm back will really give us some good options at forward. Plus Sammy did play in Florida with Weiss, though I'm not sure how much they played on the same line.

http://thehockeywriters.com/detroit-red-wings-mikael-samuelsson-ir-star/

Of course he's not going to be an actual "All-Star", but I'm also of the opinion that Sammy gets to much flack for a guy that never had a chance to show he's worth his cap hit. I think having him and Helm back will really give us some good options at forward. Plus Sammy did play in Florida with Weiss, though I'm not sure how much they played on the same line.

This kind of irked me a little bit also to be honest, it may not have been the smartest idea to sign him given his injury history, but the guy had barely any opportunity at all last season to even attempt to prove his worth. I think he will be a bit more valuable than some of the people who have already written him off think he will.

He used to get flack when he didn't deserve it from 06-09, now he's old and washed up with a horrible contract. It is Hollands mistake and obviously Sammy wouldn't say no to getting that kind of money, doesn't change the fact if we have to move a younger energy guy like Tootoo or Eaves that we'll be even softer. I don't believe the notion we're going to get pushed around in the East, but the more energy guys the better. And before someone says it, no, Samuelsson at 6'2 does not provide energy anymore. This isn't 08, and I can't wait for this guy to be gone from the Winged Wheel.

Edited by Detroit # 1 Fan

You mean the one season in the last several he missed a chunk of games? This isn't Colaiacovo or Lecavalier who miss 15-20 games a season. He'd been pretty consistently over 70 games a season before he was traded to Florida, hurt his groin, then tried coming back too early and reinjuring it.

You mean the one season in the last several he missed a chunk of games? This isn't Colaiacovo or Lecavalier who miss 15-20 games a season. He'd been pretty consistently over 70 games a season before he was traded to Florida, hurt his groin, then tried coming back too early and reinjuring it.

He's a guy in his late 30's coming off two consecutive injury plagued seasons.

You're not concerned?

You're not concerned?

He missed 30 games out of 80, then re aggravated the same injury and missed 40 games. Wouldn't exactly use the word "plagued".

He was never as bad as his critics made out first time round, although he could be infuriating as a flipped between being average and clutch.

But 2nd time round, 2 years with a NTC for a 35+ depth forward, when we alreadyhad another 35+ depth forward on a 2 year deal with a NTC......not to mention a bunch of kids knocking on the door in GR......it was just a bad contract. A 1 year deal to bridge the gap whilst we fed in the kids would have been fine.

Before or after I score with Kate Upton?

If I may be so bold as to suggest...

This would be the occasion to eschew the modern composite stick and go old school.

I loved Sammy when he was here before and was excited when he came back. Now that we can't get rid of him, I hope he shines like crazy.

If we're stuck with him, I'd rather eat crow for bewailing his presence than be right about him being too old.

You're not concerned?

When he signed the contract no. Now, a bit. But if he misses a bunch of time they can bring up someone to replace him.

Guest Playmaker

I had no problem with Sammy's first stint with the Wings. It was how he left and the way he acted when he did. If I recall, he was kind of nasty and bitter about the whole thing, not being offered a deal. He was equally unpleasant when he wasn't put on the Swedish Olympic team. Also, if the rumors that he was going to dispute an attempted buyout are accurate, that really hasn't endeared him to me either. With is injury situation, Babcock has seemed to be a bit frustrated with him, along the lines of maybe not believing he's injured or as seriously injured as he says. Just an impression, no direct quotes from Babs.

But this one's all on Holland. I see what his thinking was as far as having a guy on the second unit of the PP play the point with the loss of Lidstrom. But no way in hell was he worth a two year, 6m, NTC deal. I just don't think there was that much of a market for him.

I had no problem with Sammy's first stint with the Wings. It was how he left and the way he acted when he did. If I recall, he was kind of nasty and bitter about the whole thing, not being offered a deal.

What I remember is that he was brutally honest - Vancouver simply offered the most money, and Sammy said so. It was always my favourite thing about him, his interviews were always honest and he didn't deal in empty platitudes just to please the fans like so many players do (and so many fans fall for). He's never hidden the fact that he is a proffesional hockey player i.e. playing hockey is his job, not his hobby.

I had no problem with Sammy's first stint with the Wings. It was how he left and the way he acted when he did. If I recall, he was kind of nasty and bitter about the whole thing, not being offered a deal. He was equally unpleasant when he wasn't put on the Swedish Olympic team. Also, if the rumors that he was going to dispute an attempted buyout are accurate, that really hasn't endeared him to me either. With is injury situation, Babcock has seemed to be a bit frustrated with him, along the lines of maybe not believing he's injured or as seriously injured as he says. Just an impression, no direct quotes from Babs.But this one's all on Holland. I see what his thinking was as far as having a guy on the second unit of the PP play the point with the loss of Lidstrom. But no way in hell was he worth a two year, 6m, NTC deal. I just don't think there was that much of a market for him.

He left for more cash not because he didn't get an offer. If there had been an issue like that they wouldn't have brought him back.

For a guy with his production a 2 year $3 mil a season contract is very reasonable. The issue seems to be more that he was here before and left than his actual projected production.

Its not so difficult to suck if you're injured. And it's pretty easy to become a whipping-boy when you cost much but can't proof if you worth it. Let see what Sammy can do if healty and reevaluate his contract then. If he turns out to be a solid Top-6er the 3 Mil. are justified in my eyes.