• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
CopenhagenWing

Change to goalie pads.

Rate this topic

Guest mjtm77

What were Howard's pads like?? and how does this affect the redwings? positively or in a negative way?

I think you need to look further back into history before talking about shrinking goalie equipment and excessive goal scoring. Take a look at a game from the eighties. 6-4 was not a ridiculous score back then (average was almost 8 goals per game). Currently we are in one of the lowest scoring periods in NHL history.

And do the pads need to be so much wider then the leg they meant to protect? Or the catching glove, which would fit a soccer ball?

Exactly.

I think there's still room to shrink pads and keep goalies safe. And as you point out, the catching glove is insanely large.

I'm all for taking further attempts to reduce the size of goalie pads. Better that than some other rule they come up with to try and artificially increase scoring. Or worse, increasing net size.

Exactly.

I think there's still room to shrink pads and keep goalies safe. And as you point out, the catching glove is insanely large.

I'm all for taking further attempts to reduce the size of goalie pads. Better that than some other rule they come up with to try and artificially increase scoring. Or worse, increasing net size.

Soccer nets would increase scoring :P

Soccer nets would increase scoring :P

Or at least make it the equivalent proportionately.

A little work on google found me this:

hockey puck is 9.5in in circumference, goal is 4x6ft, which is 48x72 inches. That equals 3456 sq inches of net. 9.5/3456=.0027. The puck takes up .27% of the net

a soccer ball is 27 inches in circumference, the net is 8x24 feet, which is 96x288 inches. that equals 27648 sq inches of net. the ball takes up .01%'

I didn't double check the math.

Or at least make it the equivalent proportionately.

A little work on google found me this:

I didn't double check the math.

Let's account for the fact that an nhl puck is actually 7.065 square inches you have 24 feet opening to score on, which in inches is 3456 sq. inches, 7.065/3456 = .002 which is .2% of the available space to score. now assuming your soccer ball is a size 5 that would be 68-70 cm, so A = 4πr^2 (1,156 cm) = 14,527 sq cm and a soccer net opening is 222967 cm square x 7432.24 cm square = 1657144256.08 cm square. 14,527/1,657,144,256.08 = .0009, so .09%

Edit: typo, and I am dumb :)

Edited by Euro_Twins

Let's account for the fact that an nhl puck is actually 7.065 square inches you have 24 feet opening to score on, which in inches is 3456 sq. inches, 7.065/3456 = .002 which is .2% of the available space to score. now assuming your soccer ball is a size 5 that would be 68-70 cm, so A = 4πr^2 (1,156 cm) = 14,527 sq cm and a soccer net opening is 243 cm tall x 731 cm wide = 177633 cm opening. the ball is 14,527 cm / 177,633 = .0818, which is 8.18% of the opening.

So whoever did that math was inaccurate, and you have more space technically to score in hockey than soccer.

Edit: typo

Now you know why I made sure to point out that it is not my work.

I probably could have written a VB app that could do the math for me, but no way I can do the math!!!

Now you know why I made sure to point out that it is not my work.

I probably could have written a VB app that could do the math for me, but no way I can do the math!!!

I did the math wrong lol, i did not double check before posting, see my revised post lol

either way, whoevers math it was, was wrong.

Edited by Euro_Twins

even though the nerd level has gone way too high already, euro, in your numbers, how did you get your area for the hockey puck? most pucks are shot so that they are travelling with their flat surfaces parallel to the ground which would only give them 3 square inches of surface area moving towards the net. to me that would be more realistic considering most pucks arent shot with their flat sides perpindicular to the ground.

that would mean the puck only takes up .000868 of the net.

even though the nerd level has gone way too high already, euro, in your numbers, how did you get your area for the hockey puck? most pucks are shot so that they are travelling with their flat surfaces parallel to the ground which would only give them 3 square inches of surface area moving towards the net. to me that would be more realistic considering most pucks arent shot with their flat sides perpindicular to the ground.

that would mean the puck only takes up .000868 of the net.

I calculated the area of the puck. More of a worst case scenario type deal.