• Please log in to reply
54 replies to this topic

#21 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 17,148 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 09:17 AM

Burmistrov is an RFA. The Jets still own his rights.

Two overrated defensemen who are bad at actual defense? Why?

Care to make a suggestion of your own that meets the OP's requirements?

#22 RyanBarnes!

RyanBarnes!

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 5,978 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 09:49 AM

I think we need a solid energy player if Helm does not return and if he does even better. Ryan Callahan or Shawn Mattias would be nice, both probably too expensive, but I would give up Nyquist + Tatar/Ouellet/pick for either.

If I could dream, yeah then Evander Kane or maybe Mika Zibanejad would be nice.

"Joey (Kocur) has no fear" -Lyndon Byers
"Empty-net goals are for homos" -Al Iafrate

#23 amato

amato

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,652 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 10:43 AM

Lucic, Clarkson those are the type of players every team needs but I honestly think defense is more needed than offense. The DetroitRedWings lack that clutch number 1 defenseman we've become so used to for almost two decades, the only one who might be available soon is Alex Pietrangelo he fixes a lot of needs and Babcock himself has stated, that Alex reminds him of the perfect human in terms of hockey IQ. If not him, then Shattenkirk.

Vanek would be another nice option but the DetroitRedWings don't have the assets required to get him, the Sabres are going to ask for the moon and giving up that much for a rental is a gamble, I wouldn't want to take.

if we don't have the assets required to get vanek.. then we sure as hell don't have the ones to get pietrangelo.

though i'd absolutely love to get him in the winged wheel. he's going to be one of the best dmen for years to come

Datsyukian

Dat·syu·ki·an [dat-soo-kee-uh n]

adjective

1. When your moves are so amazing and beyond reason, the only way to describe them is "datsyukian."

#24 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,123 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 10:47 AM

We need goals.

More than that, though, we need a top-flight defenseman.

Going into this season, we can all agree: if we have an Achilles' heel, it's our D.

That's not good.

Here are four defensemen who might be able to help our cause:

[/bleacherreport]

Dan Girardi had a rough year, I guess. Some would say brutal. And yet, the Rags did pretty well for themselves, all things considered. (Even though they were a crushing disappointment, and Brad Richards died in that terrible accident, etc.) This makes me think maybe Giradi's kinda sorta expendable tradable able-to-be-parted-with. OK, not really, but this is all pretend anyway.

Dan Girardi for one or two or three of the following:

- A roster defenseman who isn't Kronwall or DeKeyser (or maybe Smith)

- A non-first-round pick (maybe a first-rounder. Depends)

- A solid prospect/youngin'

- Franzen

Don't Toews me, bro!

#25 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,916 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 11:13 AM

I think we need a solid energy player if Helm does not return and if he does even better. Ryan Callahan or Shawn Mattias would be nice, both probably too expensive, but I would give up Nyquist + Tatar/Ouellet/pick for either.

That's why I suggested Clifford

#26 Z Winged Dangler

Z Winged Dangler

Part 3: Return of the Hammer Hands

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,219 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 11:33 AM

Dan Girardi from the Rangers. He's a UFA after this season--so it might not be that unreasonable if the Rangers fall out of contention and feel they likely can't re-sign him. Plus, Glen Sather's an idiot.

I'd trade Quincey away somehow to make room for him. NYR probably wouldn't want Quincey since he's also a UFA next offseason. But I'd overpay a bit for Girardi--a right handed guy who's extremely solid defensively. Certainly better than Q.

Kronwall-Girardi

DeKeyser-Kindl

Smith-Ericsson

Lashoff

That would be awesome...

I really like the idea of Girardi for Quincey and maybe even throw in a guy like Almqvist.  That would wrap things up on D quite well.  I think the real thing we're missing as well on forward is a guy like Milan Lucic.  I would be willing to give up Franzen and Mrazek for him in a heartbeat.  I may even throw in the 1st round pick as well.  I'd take him over Evander Kane.  Kane has the same issues that Seguin does, which is why Loui Eriksson is a much better all around player than he is.  He doesn't have the off ice crap going on and his game is exceptional.  Eriksson is also another guy I really wanted, but I'll settle for him on the B's.  Lucic on a line with Dats and Z would be monstrous.  Weber wouldn't turnbuckle smash Z with Lucic on the ice and neither would anyone else.  He's also an annoying net presence. 

"I play hockey, but I am not very good.  Can someone please tell me what it would take to sign with the Wings ? I can use a million or two."  ~ arag

Dan Cleary is an Xbox 360.  While good for a while, it's time for the new generation to take over.

#27 Z Winged Dangler

Z Winged Dangler

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,219 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 11:43 AM

Ryan Callahan is one of my favorite players as I like the "jack of all trades" type forward, but that's a lot to mortgage on the development side for him.  I'd rather offer up Franzen + prospect + pick if needed.  I have a really good feeling about Nyquist being the next Z though, so I really don't want to put him on the table in any trade.  He's a smart kid with a good head on his shoulders and a lot of potential. 

"I play hockey, but I am not very good.  Can someone please tell me what it would take to sign with the Wings ? I can use a million or two."  ~ arag

Dan Cleary is an Xbox 360.  While good for a while, it's time for the new generation to take over.

#28 Wingsfan72

Wingsfan72

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 431 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 12:15 PM

Two overrated defensemen who are bad at actual defense? Why?

I didn't know Yandle was so bad at defense.  I mean he's positive in +/- while playing for the Coyotes his whole career, that has to amount to something doesn't it?  

Not to mention I specifically said we have the defensive defenseman and we need more goal scoring from the point.

I suggested Buf because I didn't think he was too overrated, therefore he wouldn't demand quite as much, not to mention he's got an awesome shot and he's right handed to boot.  I know staying in shape has been an issue for him but somehow he still manages to put up the points.  I was merely sharing my opinion on who thought could be a realistic pick up and have an immediate impact on our team.  A right handed, goal scoring, defenseman on the point for our powerplay would help quite a bit I'd wager. 

If I die tell my wife I said, "Hello".

#29 Z Winged Dangler

Z Winged Dangler

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,219 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 12:35 PM

coulda had burmistrov for "free".....(khl) BTW...winnipeg switched with us...no compete team.

kid lost his confidence behind coach. needed russian stud to learn from***cough***dats***cough.

day 2 of free agency i would have made this happen.

lose tootoo, emmer, sammy, cleary. get brunner back.

4 out...2 in. would have been my play.

z-pav-burmi

mule-weiss-alfie

brunner-nyquil-andersson

eaves-helm?-bert

miller-tatar rotation

spread mins out over 4 lines and keep balanced attack

also...E.Kane would be a great piece...but expensive. kids got moxie.

Burmistrov didn't want to earn his ice time.  He just wanted to be top 6 without outperforming any of the other guys.  He has a very entitled attitude.  He's a Filppula that doesn't work as hard, but he's got as much potential as Flip and can hit and grind it out better.  If anything, I'd move Nyquist or Tatar up to top 6 and put Burmistrov on the 3rd line, but that's if he's "willing" to try to earn top 6 minutes.  That was his problem with the Jets last year.  Noel is a good coach. 

#30 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,916 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 12:43 PM

I didn't know Yandle was so bad at defense.  I mean he's positive in +/- while playing for the Coyotes his whole career, that has to amount to something doesn't it?  

Not to mention I specifically said we have the defensive defenseman and we need more goal scoring from the point.

I suggested Buf because I didn't think he was too overrated, therefore he wouldn't demand quite as much, not to mention he's got an awesome shot and he's right handed to boot.  I know staying in shape has been an issue for him but somehow he still manages to put up the points.  I was merely sharing my opinion on who thought could be a realistic pick up and have an immediate impact on our team.  A right handed, goal scoring, defenseman on the point for our powerplay would help quite a bit I'd wager. 

Dekeyser is really our only stay at home defenseman. Ericsson is a decent shut down guy. I would say we need one good well rounded dman. That's why suter would have been a perfect fit on our team

#31 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,123 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 01:50 PM

One player to rule them all.

(Sorry, couldn't resist.)

(Oh, don't act like you weren't thinking it.)

Don't Toews me, bro!

#32 RyanBarnes!

RyanBarnes!

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 5,978 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 02:47 PM

Ryan Callahan is one of my favorite players as I like the "jack of all trades" type forward, but that's a lot to mortgage on the development side for him.  I'd rather offer up Franzen + prospect + pick if needed.  I have a really good feeling about Nyquist being the next Z though, so I really don't want to put him on the table in any trade.  He's a smart kid with a good head on his shoulders and a lot of potential. 

I think it would be worth giving up Nyquist because we got Järnkrok coming up. Järnkrok IS the next Z.
"Joey (Kocur) has no fear" -Lyndon Byers
"Empty-net goals are for homos" -Al Iafrate

#33 Chunkylover

Chunkylover

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 772 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 03:22 PM

Ilya Kovalchuk?

How long before he can un-retire?

#34 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,916 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 03:32 PM

Ilya Kovalchuk?

How long before he can un-retire?

I don't think it'd be very long. I mean how many times did hasek retire? Lol plus he wants to play in the nhl and I don't think they will be as lenient as the nhl if he cuts his contract to return to the nhl.

#35 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 03:34 PM

He plays in Dave Tippett's very defensive system, and has generally had a very good goalie behind him. Even Coyotes fans will admit that he is mediocre in his own end. This is why he rarely sees PK time.

Sure, but I think there are those who would argue that we need more than one defensive defenseman. Anyway, Yandle is below Kronwall's level, and, more, would cost a fortune to draw away from the Coyotes, given his affordable contract.

I suggested Buf because I didn't think he was to overrated, therefore he wouldn't demand quite as much, not to mention he's got an awesome shot and he's right handed to boot.  I know staying in shape has been an issue for him but somehow he still manages to put up the points.  I was merely sharing my opinion on who thought could be a realistic pick up and have an immediate impact on our team.  A right handed, goal scoring, defenseman on the point for our powerplay would help quite a bit I'd wager.

Sure, and I wasn't meaning to attack you. I was just curious why. I don't think you'd particularly like having Byfuglien; in addition to his well-documented difficulties at staying in shape, he's prone to brutal defensive muck-ups. The Blackhawks used him as a forward, and he was arguably more effective there.

#36 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,123 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 04:43 PM

Callahan would be fantastic.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#37 DickieDunn

DickieDunn

http://redwingsandotherthings.wordpress.com/

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,562 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 05:36 PM

Kindl a d prospect other than Sproul and Tatar for Edler and a pick. Doan for a couple picks.

Oh this young man has had a very trying rookie season, with the litigation, the notoriety, his subsequent deportation to Canada and that country's refusal to accept him, well, I guess that's more than most 21-year-olds can handle... Ogie Ogilthorpe!

#38 Echolalia

Echolalia

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,152 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 06:16 PM

I'm excited to see how our roster does as is. We have a lot of young blood this time around in Dekeyser, Nyqvist, Tatar, Anderson, and Smith, and I have high expectations for each of these guys in one way or another. It'll be fun to see them play, alongside the fact that Helm may very well be available, and the Wings will be in a whole new conference, against relatively unfamiliar opponents. The Wings don't have the raw skill that they have possessed in the recent past (as far as we know), but I think the infusion of young blood and new bodies will push the team's hunger and drive over the top, and with the players we have, I think that level of hunger is as dangerous as any skill player could be.

#39 dragonballgtz

dragonballgtz

Yu-Gi-HOE

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,468 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 07:06 PM

Milan Lucic.

#40 Son of a Wing

Son of a Wing

London Lions Captain

• Gold Booster
  • 1,910 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 07:31 PM

Alex Pietrangelo / Oliver Ekman-Larsson / Alexander Edler / Dustin Byfuglien / Dan Girardi / Kevin Shattenkirk / Marc Staal / John Carlson / Zach Bogosian / Victor Hedman / Tyler Myers / Adam Larsson 

Would absolutely love to snag any one of those guys.

Minimum price tag (Byfuglien/Girardi) - Quincey, Jensen, 1st round pick

Maximum price tag (Pietrangelo/Ekman-Larsson) - Quincey, Nyquist, Mrazek, Ouellet, Jurco, 1st round pick.

"The leader must never close the gap between himself and the group. If he does, he is no longer what he must be. He must walk a tightrope between the consent he must win and the control he must exert."
Vince Lombardi

When asked who won, Babcock said, “Well it doesn’t really matter as long as you don’t lose. It’s like going bear hunting, you take a slow guy with you in case the bear is hungry.”