Photo
- - - - -

How much do the Wings need another defenseman?

• Please log in to reply
61 replies to this topic

#1 StayClassy

StayClassy

Babcock's Doormat

• Pip
  • 63 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 07:03 PM

Although the D somehow came out of last year looking better than most of us had thought, I feel they absolutely must get an other top four guy by the trade deadline. Honestly, any of our 2-7 guys go down and we are not in bad shape. My main concern is if Kronwall were to miss any kind of time, especially in the playoffs. A D corps in the playoffs consisting of Ericsson or Quincey as the vets, just seems to me like it would be missing too much experience, and composure. We do have a great coaching staff that has done great work with what we have, they can only do so much though.

I honestly feel like Kindl will take a big step next year on the PP, and that he may have already taken that step from what I saw in the playoffs. The main need I feel right now is of a stay at home guy. With that said what does everyone feel here may be our best options as far as a trade goes? Also, if you had to choose one of Quincey-Lashoff-Smith to trade who would it be? At this point if we end up clearing space I wouldn't be against taking a chance with Hal Gill as the #7 guy, we'd be giving up nothing for him and always could package him at the deadline for something.

For the record I wouldn't be totally opposed to trading Smith. Those three are't that far apart in skill I feel like, and Smith's return on a trade would be the most worthy. 

Edited by StayClassy, 01 September 2013 - 07:17 PM.

"Let him live."

#2 blgillett

blgillett

Stevie the one and only Captian

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,103 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 07:32 PM

I truly feel that the only reason our D did so well is because our forwards play both ways so well. Yes we need a first line D-man to win the cup
"He was standing there like a cigar store Indian" Mickey Redmond
"Holmstrom gets more attention around the net than a pretty girl around closing time!" Mickey Redmond
IPB Image

#3 DickieDunn

DickieDunn

http://redwingsandotherthings.wordpress.com/

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,369 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 08:22 PM

Either you develop players or you try to keep overpaying for vets and eventually end up with a crap team full of vets you can't move. It's time to let the players grow into top 4 roles. Between Smith Kindl and Dekeyser the 2nd pair will be fine.

Oh this young man has had a very trying rookie season, with the litigation, the notoriety, his subsequent deportation to Canada and that country's refusal to accept him, well, I guess that's more than most 21-year-olds can handle... Ogie Ogilthorpe!

#4 Echolalia

Echolalia

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,863 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 08:40 PM

I'm ready to let the next gen take over. The Wings' defense has a lot of potential, and they've been groomed for this year for a while. Lets see what they can do behind the wheel.

#5 kylee

kylee

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,453 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 08:45 PM

Smith is too young to trade away and Kindl is clearly not done developing. Lashoff could be a good stay at home guy. Quincey is garbage.

#6 Phil Lesh

Phil Lesh

Silver apples in the sun.

• PipPip
  • 304 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 08:49 PM

Who's out there that would be worth the cap hit, money or trade value?

#7 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 09:08 PM

Sproul and Ouellet are in the system and not far off.

#8 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,656 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 09:08 PM

It would only make us stronger, but it's hard to acquire a player like that.  

We tried with Suter, but it failed.    

According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#9 StayClassy

StayClassy

Babcock's Doormat

• Pip
  • 63 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 09:13 PM

I really just feel like another vet is needed, even if just as an insurance policy. It would be nice to see a list of Dmen with expiring contracts.

"Let him live."

#10 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 10:28 PM

I really just feel like another vet is needed, even if just as an insurance policy. It would be nice to see a list of Dmen with expiring contracts.

The team is already two over the roster limit. It's not going to happen.

#11 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,999 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 11:19 PM

Although the D somehow came out of last year looking better than most of us had thought, I feel they absolutely must get an other top four guy by the trade deadline. Honestly, any of our 2-7 guys go down and we are not in bad shape. My main concern is if Kronwall were to miss any kind of time, especially in the playoffs. A D corps in the playoffs consisting of Ericsson or Quincey as the vets, just seems to me like it would be missing too much experience, and composure. We do have a great coaching staff that has done great work with what we have, they can only do so much though.

Totally agree.

Assorted thoughts, because my brain is mush:

- This past run was great. But, if you think about it...1) we were probably overachieving like crazy, and 2) it was only the second round. (Granted, we got the eventual SCC in the second round. Which sucks. But still.)

- If it's Cup or bust (and it should be), we need a solid, high-endish, big-nameish, veteranish, shut-downish defensman. If it's second round or oh well, we're set on the back-end.

- I have no reason to believe Holland won't snag a top-4 guy who fits the above profile. Because, seriously, the thought of losing Kronwall for any amount of time is absolutely terrifying, not good for the heart, etc. And that's not what you want for a serious Cup-contending team.

- Dan Girardi.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#12 StayClassy

StayClassy

Babcock's Doormat

• Pip
  • 63 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 12:31 AM

The team is already two over the roster limit. It's not going to happen.

Exactly. The team is two over the roster limit, so clearly some changes have to be made right?

"Let him live."

#13 Nev

Nev

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,039 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 12:41 AM

We're relying on two things

1)  Smith, Kindl and DeKeyser to play well and continue to develop for 82 games

2)  No injuries.  Our 7th D is Lashoff.  If (when) we go 2 defenceman down, I'm concerned.

We have a glut of forwards, and a glut of similar type forward prospects, so the potential for a 3 or 4 for 1 trade is there.

"If I can be totally honest, it's not a lot of guys you get impressed by. Actually, it's no one else but him. From the bench, to see what move he makes -- you're like, 'I wish I could do that.' Sometimes you sit on the bench and just think, 'wow,' and you look over to the other bench and they sit there and shake their heads, too. He has great, great skills. I'm probably not going to play with another player who has the kind of skills he has." Mikael Samuelsson on Pavel Datsyuk

#14 Rick D

Rick D

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 303 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 01:01 AM

We could move Q, Smith, and Miller/Eaves for a solid Player. Frees up cap, and more importantly roster space.

Eff Chicago

Eff Boston

#15 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 02:19 AM

Exactly. The team is two over the roster limit, so clearly some changes have to be made right?

Yes, none of which will involve bringing in new players.

We could move Q, Smith, and Miller/Eaves for a solid Player. Frees up cap, and more importantly roster space.

Nobody will be particularly interested in Quincey, and Smith's potential is still such that it would be senseless to trade him.

#16 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,743 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 03:09 AM

I have been saying this for a good while now, but to me it's true:

The Wings biggest need is a bonafide numer 1 guy, who can make other players better. I am not talking about perfect human like - we will never see a player like him again :( - but if Kronwall (who I really really love when hes on his game), just doesn't cut it. Guys like Yandle wouldn't be a big improvement Holland needs to get creative and trade for someone yes, that means giving up some of the assets but that's the whole point you develop assets and try to use them for proven players.

Who might be available? Maybe a guy like Dion Phaneuf, Shattenkrik, Dennis Seidenberg (Bruins want to get younger) or a guy like Luke Schenn the guy is big, a stay at home guy and he throws big hits.

Granted all these players aren't ideal options but they would improve the defense significantly. It is hard to underestand, why so many people are already willing to trade Smith, the guy had one shortened season to play and did ok it's not Smith's fault, that people had unreal expectations for him.

kftx.jpg

The Offseason of truth ...

Welcome to hockeytown Jonas aka Lundquist 2 Gustavsson!

blank cheque for The Captain or Jim Star Nil please..

#17 dat's sick

dat's sick

Fear can hold you prisoner, hope can set you free

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,332 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 08:11 AM

Imo signs point toward us being fine on defense unless we're (again) hit hard by injuries or 1-2 of the young guns don't improve at all and actually decline instead. 

The Kindl-Dekeyser pairing we saw at the end of last season gave me a really good vibe, I think they could be great together. Kronwall-Ericsson may not be an amazing 1st pairing, but they're solid enough most of the time. Quincey-Smith is the only big question mark, but hopefully they both have their worst hockey behind them. 

#18 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,506 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 08:36 AM

I was impressed with the poise, skill set, and maturity of Danny DeKeyser...I honestly feel this young man can be a top pairing Dman within the next few seasons.

'Evolution' created by Offsides

#19 Dominator2005

Dominator2005

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,222 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 08:41 AM

I could see Mark Stuart in Detroit...

"Some guys dream about scoring goals, or making big saves... I swear to God I dream about kicking ass in a hockey fight - no other way to say it than I love to do it, its who I am"... Brian McGrattan

#20 DickieDunn

DickieDunn

http://redwingsandotherthings.wordpress.com/

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,369 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 09:58 AM

And have Lashoff as the 6 and no #7

Oh this young man has had a very trying rookie season, with the litigation, the notoriety, his subsequent deportation to Canada and that country's refusal to accept him, well, I guess that's more than most 21-year-olds can handle... Ogie Ogilthorpe!