• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
StayClassy

How much do the Wings need another defenseman?

Rate this topic

Guest mjtm77

I don't think it would ruin it, I just don't believe it's the glaring need that some people think it is. I'd love a Girardi or a Pietrangelo, but we needed scoring more than another Dman, which I believe Holland did a good job obtaining. If a Dman like the guys above can be snatched up, the go for it, but it's not like last offseason where we didn't get really anyone of value in the summer. We are a better team going into this year than last year and last years team took the Hawks to game 7

over achieved IMO...

Its nice to have the young kids coming up but it does absolutely nothing for your team this year. If our objective is to wait for the defensive talent to come up and win the cup eventually then the Alfredsson signing was a waste of time. Yes the Wings need to clear some dead weight through a trade and bring in another defenseman to win the cup this year. Holland hasn't been equal to the challenge and I don't think we are contenders unless he does.

This article ranked Girardi as 2013's least-valuable (significant) player in the league. It's certainly true that he had a rotten season.

I think we've established he had a bad season. A few things, though:

- The Rangers, as a team, sucked. Really, really sucked. (Was it Tortorella? Was it some kind of locker room karma job? I dunno.)

- Players have off-years.

(- ....And sometimes those off-years make them more, shall we say, tradable.)

- I believe he would be great as a Wing. We need a Dan Girardi, IMHO.

Its nice to have the young kids coming up but it does absolutely nothing for your team this year. If our objective is to wait for the defensive talent to come up and win the cup eventually then the Alfredsson signing was a waste of time. Yes the Wings need to clear some dead weight through a trade and bring in another defenseman to win the cup this year. Holland hasn't been equal to the challenge and I don't think we are contenders unless he does.

It's not waiting for kids to come up it's giving the guys on the roster an opportunity to show what they can do.

Pretty sure we saw the same defense last year. I'll try to act surprised.

What is it that you're going to act surprised about? That they'll be top five in the league in goals against this year? ... again? .... since that's what they did last year? ... WITH three rookies seeing significant time, Kindl in his first season of full-duty, and a down year from Quincey. There's no reason not to expect marked improvement from the group as a whole this season. And, also no reason to add another defenseman at this point.... possibly midseason or at the trade deadline depending on how things go, but definitely not now imo.

we needed scoring more than another Dman, which I believe Holland did a good job obtaining.

But that's the thing. We have our scoring now. (Realistically, that long desired "power-forward" is going to be Jurco, Mantha, or someone else from the inside. Same with that pure goal-scorer (Pulkkinen et al.)) Instead of just sitting on that, we should be looking to improve elsewhere - and our blue line, as well as it did last year, and as well as it might do this year, would only benefit from a solid addition. Doesn't necessarily have to be a Girardi.

The obvious counterargument is that there's no real need to go out and get such a player. I really have to disagree there. It's pretty obvious we want the Cup this season. Kronwall's saying the hunger's back. Alfredsson's probably on his last season. Howard's finally "elite." Etc. If not now, when? (IMHO.)

It's about giving yourself the best possible odds of success. I just don't feel comfortable riding this current corps. It's not that I don't think there's talent and potential there. I just think it's years away (Smith), whereas I think we have a shot in the here and now. And, of course, there's Z and D. Put softly, they're not getting any younger. I'd like to see us win one more with them, or make at least one more big push.

But I suppose this is all kinda pointless/moot. It's pretty clear that no one's making deals at this point in time. So we wait until the trade deadline...or until we lose four defensemen to injury on the same night...etc.

I think we're mostly on the same page, you and I. So, like, whatevz.

Edited by Dabura

It's not waiting for kids to come up it's giving the guys on the roster an opportunity to show what they can do.

Pretty sure we saw the same defense last year. I'll try to act surprised.

So you're saying that young players don't improve from one year to the next?

Guest Crymson

I think we've established he had a bad season. A few things, though:

- The Rangers, as a team, sucked. Really, really sucked. (Was it Tortorella? Was it some kind of locker room karma job? I dunno.)

- Players have off-years.

(- ....And sometimes those off-years make them more, shall we say, tradable.)

- I believe he would be great as a Wing. We need a Dan Girardi, IMHO.

The Rangers, as a team, made it to the 2nd round. They were one of only eight teams to do so. If that's a team that really, really sucks, then your standards are very, very high.

As for Girardi's trade value, whatever it may be: unless Glen Sather is willing to give Girardi up in exchange for spare parts, the Wings haven't the cap space or the roster space to obtain him.

Edited by Crymson

So you're saying that young players don't improve from one year to the next?

I'd love to see how the addition of dekeyser for a full season changes things, and if Smith can improve that would be great! Kindl finally stepped it up last year and hopefully he can improve on that this year.