• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
cusimano_brothers

Blackhawks’ Crawford signs six-year extension.

Rate this topic

From Sportsnet:

Stanley Cup-winning goaltender Corey Crawford has signed a six-year, $36 million extension with the Chicago Blackhawks.

Hockey Central Insider Nick Kypreos confirmed the financial details of the contract.

The extension, which comes with an annual cap hit of $6 million, starts at the beginning of next season and goes through the end of the 2019-20 campaign.

Crawford has one more year remaining on his current deal, which will see him earn $2.5 million ($2,666,667 million cap hit) during the 2013-14 season.

The news was first reported by Philip Pritchard, the Hockey Hall of Fame’s Keeper of the Cup, who is currently travelling with Crawford and the Cup.

The Blackhawks made the announcement official shortly after Pritchard tweeted a picture of Crawford signing what appeared to be a contract — the tweet was deleted shortly after it was sent.

Mr. Pritchard scooped 'em? Good for him; I'll have to offer my congratulations when I see him this November.

Too much? The right amount? Statement signing? Too early to tell?

Edited by cusimano_brothers

Guest Crymson

Really way too much for a guy who's got one good season under his belt, and that playing behind the most dominant team in the league.

we're looking at the next marc andre fleury. the hawks are going to regret this signing

Anyone that watched the playoffs this year knows that crawford was the hawks weakest link. It seemed he let in a soft goal almost every game. his stats were really inflated by the hawks stellar defense

Guess what, one guy is now jumping up in joy Henrik Lundqvist. If Crawford can get 6 mill per year, what can he command? 8,5+?

I gotta have to give Holland full credit now I thought he overpaid for Howard, now I think it's a steal compared to what Smith and Crawford are making after 1! good season *lol*

No way the Hawks can re-sign their two superstars now, Toews will look good in red and white.

Guess what, one guy is now jumping up in joy Henrik Lundqvist. If Crawford can get 6 mill per year, what can he command? 8,5+?

I gotta have to give Holland full credit now I thought he overpaid for Howard, now I think it's a steal compared to what Smith and Crawford are making after 1! good season *lol*

No way the Hawks can re-sign their two superstars now, Toews will look good in red and white.

But he does have a Cup, and good team or not, that's no small feat. Howard does not have that at this point, and it's not something to overlook. In his best regular season, he floundered in the playoffs. He's been fine since, but again, no Cup is no Cup. Crawford got the job done.

That said, I think they're both overpaid...

Guest Crymson

Handcuffs Chicago a bit, but are we surprised that he got this much?

He is arguably in the same category as Jimmy when it comes to actual performance, so that nets him at least $5 million.

Add another $1 million for winning the Cup.

Not at all. Howard has had three great seasons to Crawford's one. And whereas Crawford's single good season came behind a dominant team and in only a half a normal season, all three of Howard's came in seasons during which the Wings were struggling. In 2009-2010, he carried an injury-riddled team to the playoffs; in 2011-2012, he carried the team through a first half in which it had no real business winning games; and he was indisputably the MVP of the in-transition 2013 Wings. His single mediocre season, in 2010-2011, came at a time when the Wings were still very able to win without exceptional goaltending.

But he does have a Cup, and good team or not, that's no small feat. Howard does not have that at this point, and it's not something to overlook. In his best regular season, he floundered in the playoffs. He's been fine since, but again, no Cup is no Cup. Crawford got the job done.

A .915 is floundering? And are you forgetting that the Sharks were the beneficiaries in that postseason of some of the most outrageous reffing in recent memory?

the hawks won the cup in spite of crawford not because of him.

theres a lot of guys names on the cup that didnt deserve to be there.

the hawks won the cup in spite of crawford not because of him.

theres a lot of guys names on the cup that didnt deserve to be there.

Agreed. Kind of like the Wings did a few times with Osgood. Only our management had sense enough not to grossly over pay a 'good enough' type goalie.

Really way too much for a guy who's got one good season under his belt, and that playing behind the most dominant team in the league.

One good season and a shortened one at that. I would have waited to see how he did the following season before locking him up for 6 years.

2 mil to sign hjalmarsson, shaw, handzus, morin.

37 mil wrapped up in crawford, seabrook, keith, hossa, bickell, sharp. and here i thought toews and kane were important to their team...

I like that because Toews would look extremely good in red and white and I d love him as a player, there is no way now for the Hawks to pay both.

Crawford is average at best and Stan is paying him like a top 10 goalie

Sent from my BlackBerry

I like that because Toews would look extremely good in red and white and I d love him as a player, there is no way now for the Hawks to pay both.

Wait, is this the same Toews who completely lost his marbles against us?

And I feel like we're always saying, "Ha! Such and such a GM is really in trouble now! No WAY can they afford to keep such and such a superstar AND such and such a superstar!" but the GM in question usually gets it done. Or maybe I'm off on this one.

Wait, is this the same Toews who completely lost his marbles against us?

And I feel like we're always saying, "Ha! Such and such a GM is really in trouble now! No WAY can they afford to keep such and such a superstar AND such and such a superstar!" but the GM in question usually gets it done. Or maybe I'm off on this one.

Toews and Kane are locked up for two more seasons at 6.3/year each respectively. So this nonsense that they will lose them is entertaining. Who knows what will happen. Salary cap goes up, they trade someone they shed some salaries somewhere. They have two years to come up with cap space for a raise for those guys

Here's a pretty good read on why this seemed kinda nutty for Chicago to do given Crawford had another year on his contract. In short, they signed him to a new one right after winning the Cup when his value is at its absolute highest.

http://blogs.thescore.com/nhl/2013/09/03/corey-crawford-gets-a-six-year-36-million-contract-from-the-blackhawks-but-is-anyone-really-sure-why/#more-85637

Here's a pretty good read on why this seemed kinda nutty for Chicago to do given Crawford had another year on his contract. In short, they signed him to a new one right after winning the Cup when his value is at its absolute highest.

http://blogs.thescore.com/nhl/2013/09/03/corey-crawford-gets-a-six-year-36-million-contract-from-the-blackhawks-but-is-anyone-really-sure-why/#more-85637

Thank you for posting this, this is basically a buy high sort of thing. Crawford is a good enough goalie, who has a great team infront of him and even with that great team he only had one good season, the Hawks are paying for potential here if that doesn't work out, oh well.