• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Opie

Extensions for everyone! Niklas Hjalmarsson gets 5-year

Rate this topic

It's back to business as Stan Bowman's summer of Stanley Cup celebrating is over. The Chicago Blackhawks general manager has been busy this week preparing for training camp by inking goaltender Corey Crawford to a six-year extension and now handing defenseman Niklas Hjalmarsson a five-year, $20.5 million deal,according to TSN's Pierre LeBrun.

Stan is handing out extension like they are Tootsie Rolls!

Edit: Link maybe???

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-puck-daddy/extensions-everyone-niklas-hjalmarsson-gets-5-20-5-151252886--nhl.html

Edited by Opie

I wonder how quickly people will flood this thread with "Hawks are screwed" comments like they did the summer after they won their last Cup. I don't know, but I'd say the model's working pretty well so far. They might have a rougher year or two (relative to a Cup win), but they seem to be doing a good job of getting things aligned for a run when the opportunity strikes. I'm honestly impressed with what their management has been doing.

Kronwalls deal looks unbelievable now. It's a good price for Hjalmarsson based on the market, but only 650k more for Kronners deal is stellar.

Agreed. Kronwall's a great value. Hjalmarsson's contract would have been terrible a few years ago, but it's a solid deal given the market today.

I mean, Quincey has a $3.8 million hit for another year. I doubt Quincey takes a paycut (though it'd be fair)--so I think he's as good as gone after this season. Surely Holland wouldn't extend him for $4M plus...right!?

Speaking of defensemen and extensions/contracts wonder if STL and Pietrangelo will come to common ground.

http://www.sbnation.com/nhl/2013/9/5/4697440/alex-pietrangelo-rfa-contract-negotiation-st-louis-blues

It's been reported that the two sides have been discussing an eight-year, maximum term contract but have failed to find common ground on the annual compensation of such an agreement. TSN's Bob McKenzie indicates that Pietrangelo's camp is looking for a $7 million annual average value, while the Blues are looking for something closer to $6 million.

(Did I just hijack my own thread??)

EDIT: To Hijack even further, Mac (Dang it, it is Mac and Andy strickland reporting it) is also reporting that they may bring in Ryan Whitney in case they are unable to reach a deal with Alex:

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2013/09/05/st-louis-making-plans-just-in-case-pietrangelo-isnt-signed/?ocid=Yahoo&partner=ya5nbcs

EDIT2: been a long few days, I can't even read the articles I am posting apparently!

Edited by Opie