• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
frankgrimes

Bettman getting a raise (again) 8 - 8,3 million in 2012 - 2013

Rate this topic

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2013/09/03/bettman-made-around-8-3-million-in-2011-12/

It's a f....cking shame the guy is making than 90 % of the players, responsible for failed franchises, 3 lockouts in a row and the reason teams like this can't ice the best possible roster. How can owners justify around 270k/franchise for this guy? Absolutely hilarious, give a hockeyguy the job!

Maybe a hockey guy would do a bad job in their mind? They do choose to pay him that ~$270K per franchise, after all. Maybe the owners know better? The players (via the competition commitee) and former players (Shanahan/Campbell) are responsible for most of the negative changes most people complain about. Bettman isn't God; his powers are limited.

Guest Crymson

Because NHL profits as a whole are steadily increasing. Bettman makes relatively little compared to other sports commissioners.

Exactly. David Stern (NBA) made $20m last season, and Budd Selig (MLB) earned only marginally less than that. Roger Goodell (NFL) took home upward of $11m.

Edited by Crymson

Who cares about Stern (NBA), Selig (MLB) or Goddell (NFL) this thread is about hockey and when it comes to hockey he is overpaid. 3 lockouts are unexcuseable, making more than the product people actually want to watch is just pure nuts. There is also a reason, why commissioners are getting boo'ed so much they are bad for the sport and leagues would be better off without them.

Guess what a hockeyguy would cost less, not trash the sport with his growing the game crap AND actually be welcomed when he presents the Stanley Cup.

Can't believe people are still defending the guy, who has cost us one year of Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Yzerman and a prime Lidström.

i realize that fans hate bettman and he isnt as bad as we try to make him sound. i also get that his salary is not exorbitant compared to other sport commishes and other executives in charge or similarly sized entities, but i do keep falling back on something...

one of the main talking points of this last lockout was that a vast majority of teams are losing money each year. so is bettman really doing that good of a job as commissioner if most of the teams actually are losing money each year? sure, i get revenues are up. but revenues are up for all sports. so i kind of wonder if bettman really is doing that great even from the business side. cause we all know how terrible he is doing from the pr side...

I can't believe that we still have people blaming everything on 1 man. Mind boggling how much hate you have for someone who doesn't make all the decisions and gets blamed for everything wrong and nothing that's right.

Sure he's the represents the owners collectively, but there were 6 teams including Detroit that voted against the lockout. I just don't feel a lockout every 6 years is what's best for a sport that's not the most popular

Leagues fault really

i realize that fans hate bettman and he isnt as bad as we try to make him sound. i also get that his salary is not exorbitant compared to other sport commishes and other executives in charge or similarly sized entities, but i do keep falling back on something...

one of the main talking points of this last lockout was that a vast majority of teams are losing money each year. so is bettman really doing that good of a job as commissioner if most of the teams actually are losing money each year? sure, i get revenues are up. but revenues are up for all sports. so i kind of wonder if bettman really is doing that great even from the business side. cause we all know how terrible he is doing from the pr side...

To go back to my earlier point, if Bernie Ecclestone was in charge of the NHL, not only would the small teams be losing money the big teams would too, because Bernie would push up his fees for the "priviledge" of hosting an NHL team to such exorbitant levels that only the likes of Philly and NYR would be able to (just) cope. When the likes of Phoenix started struggling, he would squeeze them for every last cent, then as soon as they went bust he would cast around for a new city to host the franchise and pay a nice fat fee. He would own the TV rights. He would own the TV company that made the TV pictures that the TV companies used. He would own some of the arenas. 50% of ALL revenue would go straight to him before the teams even saw a cent.

The point being, that despite 3 lockouts, the dead puck era, and generally being a slimeball new york lawyer with small man syndrome - it could actually be a lot worse than Bettman.

Guest Crymson

Who cares about Stern (NBA), Selig (MLB) or Goddell (NFL) this thread is about hockey and when it comes to hockey he is overpaid. 3 lockouts are unexcuseable, making more than the product people actually want to watch is just pure nuts. There is also a reason, why commissioners are getting boo'ed so much they are bad for the sport and leagues would be better off without them.

Guess what a hockeyguy would cost less, not trash the sport with his growing the game crap AND actually be welcomed when he presents the Stanley Cup.

Can't believe people are still defending the guy, who has cost us one year of Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Yzerman and a prime Lidström.

David Stern has resided over four lockouts.

Stern is NBA so why should I care about that?

Hockey suffered under Bettman pure and simple. I mean, there are cheaper and better options available the smart thing to do would be hiring one of these guys. I think Gretzky would be a great fit.

Ecclestone is just an idiot, not even worth talking about him the F1 has gone downhill so fast it's not even funny.

Edited by frankgrimes

To go back to my earlier point, if Bernie Ecclestone was in charge of the NHL, not only would the small teams be losing money the big teams would too, because Bernie would push up his fees for the "priviledge" of hosting an NHL team to such exorbitant levels that only the likes of Philly and NYR would be able to (just) cope. When the likes of Phoenix started struggling, he would squeeze them for every last cent, then as soon as they went bust he would cast around for a new city to host the franchise and pay a nice fat fee. He would own the TV rights. He would own the TV company that made the TV pictures that the TV companies used. He would own some of the arenas. 50% of ALL revenue would go straight to him before the teams even saw a cent.

The point being, that despite 3 lockouts, the dead puck era, and generally being a slimeball new york lawyer with small man syndrome - it could actually be a lot worse than Bettman.

i'm pretty sure your point was that bettman isn't the worst choice for commisioner in the world, he's the SECOND worst choice!

:blind:

1995 lockout ended before the season started.

1997 lockout ended before the season started

1999 lockout resulted in 50 game season

2011 lockout resulted in 66 game season

By that measure Stern is already doing a better job than Bettman, nevermind that basketball players have much more leverage in negotiations than hockey players due to the popularity of the sport.

Either way though it's pretty much pick your poison. Stern and Bettman used to work at the same law firm, Proskauer Rose. That law firm represents management in labor negotiations for the NBA, NHL, NFL, and MLB, so get used to more lockouts. It's not a coincidence the NBA and NHL have been using similar strategies and tactics.

Guest Crymson

1995 lockout ended before the season started.

1997 lockout ended before the season started

1999 lockout resulted in 50 game season

2011 lockout resulted in 66 game season

By that measure Stern is already doing a better job than Bettman, nevermind that basketball players have much more leverage in negotiations than hockey players due to the popularity of the sport.

Either way though it's pretty much pick your poison. Stern and Bettman used to work at the same law firm, Proskauer Rose. That law firm represents management in labor negotiations for the NBA, NHL, NFL, and MLB, so get used to more lockouts. It's not a coincidence the NBA and NHL have been using similar strategies and tactics.

Fair enough. I probably should have done more research.

Oh boy this topic/thread isn't going to turn into a turdfest at all will it.

I guess folks still don't get he is mostly just a figurehead of the owners and like chunky said above he is probably not even the one wanting/making the changes that some hate so much.

He gets paid 8 million dollars. This is offensive to me. Not outrageous, because I know how the world works. Just offensive.

He gets paid 8 million dollars. This is offensive to me. Not outrageous, because I know how the world works. Just offensive.

To me it's offensive and outrageous I mean, the owners are all extremely rich what do they need a commissioner for? If you care about the sport you should hire someone, who 1. respects the integrity 2. has experience within the game 3. cares about tradition and 4. is welcomed by owners and players.

There are so many former greats but yet a guy who stands for everything ANTI-hockey is getting the job, players hate him, fans hate him and only some **** owners like him it's very well known that Ilitch can't the little weasel either.

Well, it is outrageous (IMHO). But, what I meant was, it's not this great perplexing mystery to me. Nor should it be one to anyone else.

The world is run by Gary Bettmans. And actually, as BottleofSmoke said (I think?), this is, shall we say, Little League. Indeed, funny thing is, this info casts him in a better light, to me. If he were Pure Concentrated Evil, a true Despot for the Ages, he'd be making five times this much - and all that on top of mult-billion-$ personal networth. And he'd have broken and battered call girls suing him left and right.

He's a small fish in the Ocean of Evil Fish.

Ecclestone is just an idiot, not even worth talking about him the F1 has gone downhill so fast it's not even funny.

Such an idiot he's used F1 to make himself a billionaire

i'm pretty sure your point was that bettman isn't the worst choice for commisioner in the world, he's the SECOND worst choice!

:lol: 3rd worst, lets not forget Blatter ;) He's not as eye-gougingly rich as Ecclestone, but he takes corruption to a whole new level.

BTW, I'm shocked at how "little" Goodell makes. Considering the NFL is viewed around the world as the model sport in terms of how to make bucketfulls of cash.

Edited by Nev

Such an idiot he's used F1 to make himself a billionaire

:lol: 3rd worst, lets not forget Blatter ;) He's not as eye-gougingly rich as Ecclestone, but he takes corruption to a whole new level.

BTW, I'm shocked at how "little" Goodell makes. Considering the NFL is viewed around the world as the model sport in terms of how to make bucketfulls of cash.

Honestly I am shocked too. Last I heard the NFL is approximately a $30 billion industry.