Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 7,305 posts

Posted 22 May 2014 - 10:07 AM

Hope he retires soon
D-Fence Avatar Win-O-Meter 8-1

#42 Jersey Wing

Jersey Wing

Watching Eastern Conference hockey before it was cool...

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,092 posts

Posted 22 May 2014 - 10:34 AM

I think he's over the salary cap for commissioners.

Maybe Bettman can fight the Mountain as Tyrion's champion. 

14767451334_8f0d14d8cb_o.jpg

#43 ami

ami

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 769 posts

Posted 22 May 2014 - 02:42 PM

It's a f....cking shame the guy is making than 90 % of the players,

why?

Edited by vladdy16, Today, 01:05 PM.
Political discussion territory

Funny! Well, my point was not political, but common sense:

why we care so much about how much somebody makes when we dont pay them, while we dont give a poop about these who gets paid from our taxes?

Edited by ami, 22 May 2014 - 04:16 PM.
Political discussion territory

#44 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,615 posts

Posted 23 May 2014 - 07:09 AM

Every time Uncle Gary says something is done "for the fans", his nose grows.

"Mess up tomorrow, don't mess up now".

- Harry James Benson, CBE.

#45 anthonyn66

anthonyn66

Wings fan in Leaf Nation

• PipPip
  • 329 posts

Posted 23 May 2014 - 08:12 AM

Fans hate him but from a business perspective he's done fairly well, the raise is understandable

While it's partly because the teams are all playing well right now, Bettman has been able to create hockey markets in California and Texas... who would've expected that?

#46 kipwinger

kipwinger

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,004 posts

Posted 23 May 2014 - 08:46 AM

Fans hate him but from a business perspective he's done fairly well, the raise is understandable

While it's partly because the teams are all playing well right now, Bettman has been able to create hockey markets in California and Texas... who would've expected that?

Him.  Which is why he gets paid the big bucks. 

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

Get off the high horse.  Not like she was 10."

"Some girls are 17 even though they look 25."

#47 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,484 posts

Posted 23 May 2014 - 09:54 AM

Him.  Which is why he gets paid the big bucks. 

I'm not so concerned with some of the failing franchises in non hockey markets he's created, the only way to broaden your reach is to expand to markets you wouldn't otherwise be associated with. What irks me more than anything about buttman is his obvious lack of negotiating skills. Every negotiation for a new cba with him has ended in a lockout, which leaves a sour taste in a lot of people's mouths. Start negotiating a year before the contract expires and wrap it up before the season starts. If I walked out every time I was up for a raise I would get fired. Keep the game going and stop interrupting my hockey and I'll care less who is in charge or how much they make.

#48 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 17,021 posts

Posted 23 May 2014 - 10:11 AM

Bettman did not create the hockey markets in California. 

The Kings were part of the 1967 expansion, the Sharks were 1991, and the Ducks were awarded a franchise in 1992.   Bettman became commissioner in February of 93.  None of those franchises were his decision.

Gretzky being traded to Los Angeles had more to do with hockey in California than anything Gary did. 

#49 Rivalred

Rivalred

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 7,305 posts

Posted 23 May 2014 - 10:46 AM

The Kings were part of the 1967 expansion, the Sharks were 1991, and the Ducks were awarded a franchise in 1992.   Bettman became commissioner in February of 93.  None of those franchises were his decision.

Gretzky being traded to Los Angeles had more to do with hockey in California than anything Gary did. 

Furthermore, the teams that were moved or were part of the expansion, since the "Bettman Era" goes as followed

North Stars moved to Dallas in 93'
Florida Panthers founded in 94'
Nordiques moved to Denver in 95'
Jets moved to PHX in 96' - financial debocle
Whalers moved to Carolina in 97'
Nashville founded in 98'
Atlanta in 99', shut down and moved back to Winnepeg in 11'/12'
Blue Jackets founded in 2000

Some may see as Bettman stabilizing the NHL due to the forced CBA's and lockouts, a way to make other teams having a chance to be competitive as money could be spent generously by some owners to "buy" a cup and since then, other teams have become successful and been competitive.

Bettman could of handled a lot of things in a more respectful fashion I feel and has burned more bridges and created some bad situations despite his forward movement; I think this is why many of the players/fans do not have a warm/fuzzy feeling towards him.

Yes, I am not a fan of Bettman and I am sure this post will get quoted and flamed like before, but just remember; I am a Wings fan and take pride in having class, if you are a Wings fan on the site and treat fellow family members here with disrespect, then you do not convey class nor respect.

Edited due to poor grammar - posting from my phone

Edited by Rivalred, 23 May 2014 - 11:21 AM.

D-Fence Avatar Win-O-Meter 8-1

#50 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,615 posts

Posted 23 May 2014 - 11:32 AM

That reminds me of this: the League had the opportunity to expand to the west a long time before 1967-68. The first applications, along with Philadelphia, for expansion teams in the League were made by groups in Los Angeles and San Francisco in 1945-46.

"Mess up tomorrow, don't mess up now".

- Harry James Benson, CBE.

#51 kipwinger

kipwinger

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,004 posts

Posted 23 May 2014 - 12:35 PM

I'm not so concerned with some of the failing franchises in non hockey markets he's created, the only way to broaden your reach is to expand to markets you wouldn't otherwise be associated with. What irks me more than anything about buttman is his obvious lack of negotiating skills. Every negotiation for a new cba with him has ended in a lockout, which leaves a sour taste in a lot of people's mouths. Start negotiating a year before the contract expires and wrap it up before the season starts. If I walked out every time I was up for a raise I would get fired. Keep the game going and stop interrupting my hockey and I'll care less who is in charge or how much they make.

I understand why you feel that way.  From a fan's point of view, the only thing that matters is keeping the games going and hockey on the tv.  As that is our priority, any breakdown therein seems like a colossal failure.  However, Gary's priority is to ensure the long term health of the league.  To ensure that, he was willing to go through two lockouts.  They sucked.  But it's hard to argue with success.  The league is WAY stronger in every sense under Bettman.  Revenue keeps going up, player's salaries keep going up, attendance keeps going up, endorsement deals go up, media partnerships are more lucrative, etc. etc. etc. 

Bettman's not a bad negotiator, he's a great negotiator.  As fans, we just don't happen to share his priorities because his perspective is noticeably different than ours.  I'd certainly let the guy negotiate on my behalf the next time I'm due to purchase a house, get a raise, or buy a car. 

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

#52 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,484 posts

Posted 23 May 2014 - 01:44 PM

I understand why you feel that way.  From a fan's point of view, the only thing that matters is keeping the games going and hockey on the tv.  As that is our priority, any breakdown therein seems like a colossal failure.  However, Gary's priority is to ensure the long term health of the league.  To ensure that, he was willing to go through two lockouts.  They sucked.  But it's hard to argue with success.  The league is WAY stronger in every sense under Bettman.  Revenue keeps going up, player's salaries keep going up, attendance keeps going up, endorsement deals go up, media partnerships are more lucrative, etc. etc. etc. 

Bettman's not a bad negotiator, he's a great negotiator.  As fans, we just don't happen to share his priorities because his perspective is noticeably different than ours.  I'd certainly let the guy negotiate on my behalf the next time I'm due to purchase a house, get a raise, or buy a car. 

3 lockouts. Negotiating without shutting the league down would be good negotiations, he's too stubborn and knows nothing about hockey

#53 kipwinger

kipwinger

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,004 posts

Posted 23 May 2014 - 03:01 PM

3 lockouts. Negotiating without shutting the league down would be good negotiations, he's too stubborn and knows nothing about hockey

He may not "know anything about hockey" in the sense that he probably couldn't coach a team to the Stanley Cup finals, but I'm sure Mike Babcock couldn't operate a multi-billion dollar industry either. 

Gary Bettman isn't employed to be a fanboy.  He's employed to run a business, and by ever single metric he's doing that very well. 

#54 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,484 posts

Posted 23 May 2014 - 03:40 PM

He may not "know anything about hockey" in the sense that he probably couldn't coach a team to the Stanley Cup finals, but I'm sure Mike Babcock couldn't operate a multi-billion dollar industry either. 

Gary Bettman isn't employed to be a fanboy.  He's employed to run a business, and by ever single metric he's doing that very well. 

Except where he's lost the owners two full seasons of revenue, the simple fact is hockey as a game with social media and everything else would be growing with or without Gary. The teams he has brought in to expand and relocate have for the most part done quite poorly.

Just look at the attendance records, 4 of "Gary's teams" are the bottom 4 teams in attendance records this year, and not cause they have a small arena like winnipeg but because they only sell maybe %80 of tickets, and those seats don't even get filled that are bought. 9 out of 11 of the bottom teams in attendance are Gary's teams, the only one of those that sells out all their seats is Winnipeg, and that's cause they have a small arena. In my opinion he has hurt the game more than helped it

#55 ami

ami

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 769 posts

Posted 23 May 2014 - 05:17 PM

do not forget, negotiation usually includes at least two parties. all could very well be stubborn.

also, not to be forgotten, last lockout, it was unions responsible to delaying negotiations.

#56 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 17,021 posts

Posted 23 May 2014 - 07:07 PM

Since this thread's resurrection was ostensibly about Bettman getting executive of the year, which virtually no one has posted about, I think we're done here. 

Anyone really pining for those old arguments about the lockout is welcome to read through (but not bump) those old threads.