• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
cusimano_brothers

Flames hire Brian Burke as president of hockey operations.

Rate this topic

From The Score:

The Calgary Flames made it official on Thursday, announcing the hiring of Brian Burke as the club's new president of hockey operations.

The position is a new one for the Flames, and "includes overall responsibility for the sports side of the Calgary Flames," said Flames president Ken King.

Burke went out of his way to say that Jay Feaster remains the general manager in Calgary. Feaster will report to Burke. Ken King, meanwhile, remains the president and CEO of the Calgary Sports and Entertainment Group. Burke will report to King.

Is this a move that can really help Calgary or is it just one more unnecessary body with a pulse in the front office? Feaster has on occasion demonstrated that he's not "with it" regarding the day-to-day running of the Flames, especially with regards to transactions. Maybe this will appease the Calgary faithful.

as a former season ticket holder for the flames ahl affiliate, i have followed their moves for several years. i think they have a lot of work ahead of them. they are trying to rebuild through youth, the draft, player development, etc, but unfortunately, they have not really developed any successful players in years. they've had a lot of first round busts over the years.so i just don't see them effectively building this way unless they overhaul their coaching staff/philosophy in the nhl an ahl.

The Calgary Flames made it official on Thursday, announcing the hiring of Brian Burke as the club's new president of hockey operations.

The position is a new one for the Flames, and "includes overall responsibility for the sports side of the Calgary Flames," said Flames president Ken King.

Burke went out of his way to say that Jay Feaster remains the general manager in Calgary. Feaster will report to Burke. Ken King, meanwhile, remains the president and CEO of the Calgary Sports and Entertainment Group. Burke will report to King.

So basically King > Burke > Feaster << leaves takes away control from Feaster, because if Burke doesn't sign the trade or acquisition will fall through, if Burke signs than King has to sign otherwise it again fails through I don't know if that hiring will change anything for Calgary. Burke is known to be an impatient guy and the Flames are just starting their rebuild.

...because Burkie did such a bang up job in Toronto...maybe ol' Dion will be a Flame again soon...

A place like Toronto and the incredible scrutiny which comes with it is better off with lowkey guys such as Dave Nonis. Burke would be very good GM if he would focus on his job, keep his bully mentality and viewings to himself. Calgary may not be a high pressure market but he is certainly not patient enough for a long long rebuild.

Feaster on the other hand is overblown with the job add to that Ken King and the mess is in full swing. Expect Hartley to be fired very soon and RW to replace him.

PHT: Feaster rips 'organizational disease' after Flames lose at prospects tourney

Maybe off-topic...but maybe not.

I am sure ripping apart young players for playing a meaning less tournament days before the real test *training camp* is starting, is the way to go...not.

Looks like the guy is really getting desperate after this hire, this could quickly turn into a huge mess too many faces in the front office and an atrocious on ice product..

I just hope their master plan doesn't involve trading Hudler. We all know where he'd end up.

Calgary's masterplan will be something like this:

3 rounder for Colton Orr or McLaren

2 firsts and a second for Phil Kessel

Baertschi + + + for Dion Phaneuf which Nonis will decline

Trade Hudler to hopefully not DetroitRedWings

trade for Steve Macintyre

overpay for Reimer or Hiller

So their rebuild ist not going to be a long and right one

Oh man, I hadn't even considered the Kessel-Phaneuf angle. Wouldn't that be crazy if they both head to Calgary this summer? (It's this summer that their contracts are up, right?)

They might try but especially in terms of Phil the Thrill Kessel I do not think, he will sign in another Canadian city. He is a lowkey almost shy guy, who does not like distractions and giving interviews all the time but if Calgary really overpays for him, they might get him as a rental..

Phaneuf is the captain of the Leafs and seems to like it in Toronto, so I highly doubt he wants to go back to his old team, just because they have hired his former GM as a vice president.

The moves Burke made got the Leafs back in the playoffs. His problem is his big mouth and his arrogant attitude.

Well, Nonis was the one responsible for the Phaneuf trade also Nonis is the guy, who didn't want to offer that much for Kessel. Also according to what I've read Nonis wanted Eakins and waived Connolly, bought up Komasarek so I think he has done a lot of the behind the scenes stuff. Sure, Burke may have had the idea and built some things but I wouldn't forget Nonis and his Co. GMs.

Looking at the league the best GMs are the lowkey ones, Holland, Chiarelli, Shero, Poile, Lombardi and Lamoriello. Burke would be a much better GM if his focus would be on the job and keeping the cards to hmself instead of telling everybody what his plan is and then having to finde excuses if something doesn't work out.

Also a huge point for the Leafs making the playoffs was the shortened season and less media distraction.