Photo
- - - - -

X Factor Part Deux

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

Poll: X Factor

What defender is crucial to this team's success?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 GoWings1905

GoWings1905

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 5,647 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 01:59 PM

This one is easier for me than the forwards. For me, it is DeKeyser easily. I think the Red Wings beat the Blackhawks with a healthy DeKeyser. Their forecheck gave the Red Wings fits and DeKeyser's speed/puck-moving ability was something the Red Wings really lacked in that series defensively. His poise and steadiness really solidified the defense at the end of last season. 

"To whom much is given, much is expected."

#22 Motown4013

Motown4013

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,073 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 04:05 PM

I could have went with the youth movement- Danny D would have been my rookie X factor but honestly, the key to a young defensive Corp is leadership. Keeping with that theme, I chose the guy that needs to be leader on that back end so Kronner got my vote.
I think Kronwall has all the skills to be a great defenseman. I don't think I am off the mark by saying the majority on the boards, including myself saw 55 fall a bit short on taking over the number 1 last year. If he can be the player everyone is waiting him to become, Kronwall has to be the X factor. He needs to lead my example and to do that, he has to find his natural game again. That means generating a solid breakout pass, quick puck movement, contributing offense and the" super kronwalls" that put a little fear in the opposition who like to skate with their head down.
Last year he had a tendency to hesitate. He also let the puck get behind him a bit too much which lead to unfortunate penalties. He has to be better....and I think he will.
Imagine if you take the best Kronwall And allow him to teach a guy like Smith use his body and his hockey sense? If he can teach Q to find that tiny opening in the slot. Teach Kindl how to take a hit and not give away the puck. If that happens, I don't think we have an issues with the back end. That's why I think Kroonner is the x factor this year.
Raising another Red Wings Fan!

The future looks bright in Hockeytown!
GUSTAV SNIPEQUIST!

#23 DickieDunn

DickieDunn

http://redwingsandotherthings.wordpress.com/

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,629 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 01:48 PM

I would be surprised if Dekeyser played as well this year as he did right after he was signed.  He was coming in with no pressure or expectations.  This year he may try to do too much, and now that other teams have seen him his weaknesses will be known and exploited more than they were before.  Couple that with the overly high expectations some people have of him, and there are going to be a lot of people disappointed with his play this year, and by the all star break you're going to be seeing "send him to GR" and "trade him now" demands.

Oh this young man has had a very trying rookie season, with the litigation, the notoriety, his subsequent deportation to Canada and that country's refusal to accept him, well, I guess that's more than most 21-year-olds can handle... Ogie Ogilthorpe!

#24 Rivalred

Rivalred

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 7,315 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 07:08 PM

The entire D to be honest, if they play to their potential, watch out
D-Fence Avatar Win-O-Meter 8-1

#25 Yzerfan1999

Yzerfan1999

Hall-of-Famer

• Silver Booster
  • 2,451 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 08:29 PM

Smith.  I expect he will be saddled with a bigger role than Dekeyser, and the Wings ultimate success will depend on whether or not Smith can actually be a #3 defenseman.  Kronwall and Ericsson will be similar to what we've come to expect, Kindl should be something like what we saw late in the season and in the playoffs (though I think a case can be made for him being an x-factor too), Quincey will be his typical mediocre self, and I think Lashoff will be used sparingly.  Just look at the minutes Smith got last year and imagine what the D would look like if he just performed a bit better. 

When you lose, say little. When you win, say less.

--Thanks for the Sig. Offsides--

#26 TheDetroitRedWings

TheDetroitRedWings

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,207 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 08:42 PM

Smith.  I expect he will be saddled with a bigger role than Dekeyser

:shocking:  Jesus, I sure hope not. Smith was garbage (not giving up on him yet tho), DeKeyser is clearly the better overall d-man. It's not even close.

12041887825_d4b1d5c02f_o.jpg

#27 Yzerfan1999

Yzerfan1999

Hall-of-Famer

• Silver Booster
  • 2,451 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 06:06 PM

:shocking:  Jesus, I sure hope not. Smith was garbage (not giving up on him yet tho), DeKeyser is clearly the better overall d-man. It's not even close.

In this context, I think the pollster is asking us to identify a player that needs to have intangible aspects to his game (different or unknown aspects from last season) in order to solidify our defense.  I agree that DeKeyser played very well in the short amount of time he was with the Wings.  Because of that, I think we know what to expect from him (though I think many of you are thinking DeKeyser will be better than he actually is).  I said Smith would be an X-factor because you don't quite know what you'll get - he has shown the ability to play really well, but has often made poor decisions with the puck and with his pinches.  If he can cut those down this year and learn from his mistakes last year, he will be the X-factor.  That is to say our D is good to average right now, but if Smith *plays like he can*, the overall outlook of our D will be much improved.

I also don't think DeKeyser is clearly the better overall defenseman.  He may be better defensively, but Smith has more offensive upside.  We also only saw DeKeyser play a dozen games.  Don't get me wrong, I want him to be better, but I think the statement is a bit premature.

When you lose, say little. When you win, say less.

--Thanks for the Sig. Offsides--

#28 AtomicPunk

AtomicPunk

Nobody rules these streets at night like me...

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,104 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 12:01 PM

DeKeyser is LEADING? What did we do the whole season without him? He played, what, 10 regular season games and a handful of playoff games. He's the most important by far. (sarcasm)

I am a victim of the science age...the underground.

Feed the Swede! - RETIRED 2012

#29 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 17,304 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 01:29 PM

DeKeyser is LEADING? What did we do the whole season without him? He played, what, 10 regular season games and a handful of playoff games. He's the most important by far. (sarcasm)

I think because the poll asks two different questions.  I would say him being the biggest x factor makes sense.  But most crucial to success? that's the top pairing.