• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
cusimano_brothers

Flames goalie Miikka Kiprusoff makes it official: He's retiring.

Rate this topic

From Calgary Herald:

Calgary Flames goaltender Miikka Kiprusoff is retiring.

He spent the last nine seasons with the Flames.

Kiprusoff says he made the decision at the end of last season.

I'm glad to read that the Burke signing didn't hasten his decision.

What's "Mini-Kipper" going to do now?

Edited by cusimano_brothers

Not a surprise, really. Kipper is a good dude and was Calgary's only bright spot many nights. I met him a few times when he was with San Jose - he knew he'd never get ice time with SJ, with Nabokov in net.

Best of luck to him, hope he enjoys his well-earned retirement! :)

Not his fault Kipper made his intentions clear, Feaster just didn't listen. He asked them to make it official but for whatever reason the Flames waited this long.

Not sure if it would have changed anything in free agency or via trade. I doubt any good goalie would want to play there.

Not his fault Kipper made his intentions clear, Feaster just didn't listen. He asked them to make it official but for whatever reason the Flames waited this long.

Not sure if it would have changed anything in free agency or via trade. I doubt any good goalie would want to play there.

Yeah this will be difficult for every goaltender, no defense and no scoring support not even the King could backstop this team out of a top 5 pick.

He, Iginla and Martin Gelinas were the only reason that horrible Flames team made it past us in 04 and eventually to Game 7. I lived in Calgary from 06-12, I got the chance to see him play quite a bit, great goalie. Fans loved him too, Calgary will be in the basement of the Western conference for years to come.

Quitter. He just didn't want to move, so he quit.

Yeah sure the best goalie they've ever had is a quitter. Kipper Iginla who was the the best player in the world back then, are the reason for the Flames only appearance in a Game 7 Stanley Cup final. I am glad, he is going out on top and not having to play behind a team, which could be the absolute worst in the NHL.

I was gonna say Mike Vernon also. He got a ring there and had 260 or so wins, so that would kind of make HIM their best goalie, one would think. I was kind of joking about him being a quitter. But he sure could have gotten them a good player if he allowed himself to be traded to a contender and THEN retired once the season was over.

Edited by AtomicPunk

I was gonna say Mike Vernon also. He got a ring there and had 260 or so wins, so that would kind of make HIM their best goalie, one would think. I was kind of joking about him being a quitter. But he sure could have gotten them a good player if he allowed himself to be traded to a contender and THEN retired once the season was over.

The thing is, the guy has a family and he didn't want to move them especially not to a place with a ton of scrutiny going on (i.e. Toronto). Some people would be raging about him no matter what (quitter for not sticking through the rebuild or not allowing the Flames to trade him..not signing an extension...whatever) players are humans too and they have a damn right to take a family first approach.

I'm all about the "family first" thing, and he wouldn't have had to uproot anything, players all the time live out of a hotel room for a month or so when they get traded at the deadline.