• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Jedi

Report: Cleary to sign with PHI, 3 yrs, $2.75m/yr, NTC

Rate this topic

Given that it's too long of a term for a guy Cleary's age and injury history AND has a NTC, I'm kind of surprised Holland wouldn't match it. That's his kind of deal! :P

Seriously though, he took too much crap around here for doing what was asked of him, but with the Wings already having old injured goats with NTC's, Cleary on a crowded roster just didn't make sense anymore. The young guys need to get ice time, even if there's gonna be growing pains. The downside is the Wings lost one of their only players who went to the tough areas of the ice and drove to the net every shift. That's how he got those "lucky" points.

I don't know what Philly is thinking but good on Cleary. Hopefully his body holds up and he can keep contributing.

I don't know a lot about the Flyers situation but aren't they over the cap and roster limit? I would've guessed Cleary was going somewhere with both roster and cap space. Then a 3 year contract makes a lot more sense.

If that report on Holland's offer is accurate, he made a much more serious bid for Cleary than I would've guessed.

And honestly I won't fully believe this deal is true until it's confirmed by someone other than just St. James.

I'm gonna miss Bear. :nhl2: (Z's the lion, Cleary was Bear, and Franzen "used" to mule). Absurd contract but no doubt he will bring much needed leadership and stability to the flyers.

I still hate the flyers though..

At least Cleary still gets to hate the Pens though, so he has that going for him.

What happened to the other thread? It's gone this morning. Did the entire thread really have to be deleted, what happened? I kind of wanted to read the rest of it.....

So now that Cleary is really not coming back... We can send Emmerton and Lashoff down to GR to start the season and we'll have just over 600K in cap space and a 23 man roster. No trades necessary.

If Helm can't play Emmerton will be up, but I that would also deal with the roster cap in its own way.

Guest Crymson

The doomsaying will finally end.

Terrible deal for Philly, especially given that team's cap crunch. I'm not sure what Holmgren is thinking.

So now that Cleary is really not coming back... We can send Emmerton and Lashoff down to GR to start the season and we'll have just over 600K in cap space and a 23 man roster. No trades necessary.

I would seriously doubt they would only go with 6 d-men on the roster. Helm will probably start the season on IR, Emmerton will still be in the line-up, & 1 of Eaves or Tootoo will be dealt/waived.

Edit: With neither Emmerton or Lashoff being waiver exempt, I could see Kenny taking a risk on losing Cory depending on how ready Ferraro & Sheahan look in camp. I don't think anyone would claim him though, like Jan Mursak last season, so it's low risk imo. I'm pretty confident though that Lashoff wouldn't make it through unclaimed. With Almquist being really the only d-man in GR on the cusp of being ready for the big team, I really don't see Lashoff being sent down at all.

Edited by ogreslayer

Guest Crymson

St. James strikes again:

Sam Carchidi ‏@BroadStBull 5m
Homer confirms that Cleary will be here on tryout contract. "But there are no promises" on a deal, he insisted. #flyers

She has now "confirmed" Cleary's not-actually-real $3m+ contract offer from Holland, and his also not-actually-real contract offer from the Flyers.

Flyers have used 2 buyouts plus an ordinary buyout, still have 10 signed defensemen and a 25 man roster, currently 2mil over the cap, and still offer a training camp contract worth almost 3mil per year for 3 years. Yup great management

Technically, 24 man roster since Pronger is still counted among those 10 d-men & he'll be on LTIR again as soon as the season starts. That also moves them below the cap by ~$2.89m. If Cleary does play his way onto the Flyers' roster, all they'll really need to do is clear up 1 roster spot.

I really appreciated Cleary's contributions to the Wings (particularly the 2009 Playoffs, when Cleary CARRIED us at times), but he had to go. As hard as it is to let go of important veterans, I'm glad that the Red Wings organization is not overly sentimental when making roster moves. We have young players ready to take his spot now that can do it better and cheaper.

Technically, 24 man roster since Pronger is still counted among those 10 d-men & he'll be on LTIR again as soon as the season starts. That also moves them below the cap by ~$2.89m. If Cleary does play his way onto the Flyers' roster, all they'll really need to do is clear up 1 roster spot.

Good point. Forgot to account for pronger. I'm also pretty sure even with his salary eliminated they are over still. Could be wrong though. Also they would have to clear two spots. One to get to the 23 man limit, and one to add Cleary

Good point. Forgot to account for pronger. I'm also pretty sure even with his salary eliminated they are over still. Could be wrong though. Also they would have to clear two spots. One to get to the 23 man limit, and one to add Cleary

Nope, theyre definitely under with Pronger on LTIR. Under by almost 3 million. And they have quite a few extra forwards and D-men that arnt that special. So by waiving 2 of them and signing Cleary, they'll probably end up with around 2 million in cap space.

Yeah, for some reason I was thinking Cleary would be 25th when added to their current roster when he would actually be 26. Good catch.

With Pronger's salary cap hit on the books until he's officially on LTIR this season, the Flyers' cap payroll stands at ~$69.2m which includes deferrable bonuses of $2.8m. Taking that & Pronger's cap hit off the books then puts their hit against the cap at ~$61.4m. Official cap space would be $2,887,907 before adding Cleary.

Edited by ogreslayer