Posted 10 September 2013 - 08:16 AM

If he went to Colorado he could have had his number retired

#22 shoe

shoe

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 702 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 08:28 AM

One of the better playoff beards we had on our teams over the years.

I think he got a great deal for his age, he has paid his dues over the years too bad the wings couldnt fit him in I have a feeling we will miss those important timely goals he has scored for us in the playoffs.

#23 e_prime

e_prime

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,674 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 08:30 AM

Y'all realize that if asked Cleary would waive that NTC in a heartbeat to come back to Detroit, right?

Scary jokes aside, I think I will miss Dan Cleary.

He left everything out on the ice every night, and even it was time for him to move along, I'll miss him.

I certainly don't know what Philly is thinking with this contract. Too much for too long.

(AtomicPunk @ February 4, 2010 - 12:16AM)

Imma let you finish, and your cap numbers are all good and all that, but imma let Kenny figure it out. Kenny's cap numbers were the best cap numbers this year.

#24 Echolalia

Echolalia

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,915 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 08:30 AM

3 years?  How is that possible? 

#25 b.shanafan14

b.shanafan14

One good Swede deserves another!

• Silver Booster
  • 2,870 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 08:38 AM

Great guy who'll be sorely missed. He really pulled out all the stops in this last playoff run and he was always a great locker room presence, seemed extremely well liked and banged the "Red Wings are the greatest organization ever" drum right up until the minute he left. Great contract (for him) and I wish him the best of luck!

EDIT: This would sting less if we didn't have all these older roster hangers-on like Samuelsson and Bertuzzi, who ironically were some of the players brought in over the last 3-4 years or so using the "Dan Cleary" theory (i.e. they sucked elsewhere, seemed washed up, but hopefully a stop here will turn things around).

Edited by b.shanafan14, 10 September 2013 - 08:42 AM.

#26 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,931 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 08:56 AM

Given that it's too long of a term for a guy Cleary's age and injury history AND has a NTC, I'm kind of surprised Holland wouldn't match it.  That's his kind of deal!   :P

Seriously though, he took too much crap around here for doing what was asked of him, but with the Wings already having old injured goats with NTC's, Cleary on a crowded roster just didn't make sense anymore.  The young guys need to get ice time, even if there's gonna be growing pains.  The downside is the Wings lost one of their only players who went to the tough areas of the ice and drove to the net every shift.  That's how he got those "lucky" points.

I don't know what Philly is thinking but good on Cleary.  Hopefully his body holds up and he can keep contributing.  

#27 kylee

kylee

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,458 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 09:05 AM

When so many players simply do not think or care about loyalty and only chase the money, Cleary was loyal to the Red Wings to the bitter end. Hope you have a major bounce back season with Philadelphia, Clearly.

#28 wingedominance13

wingedominance13

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 381 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 09:07 AM

I'm gonna miss Bear.  :nhl2:  (Z's the lion, Cleary was Bear, and Franzen "used" to mule). Absurd contract but no doubt he will bring much needed leadership and stability to the flyers. 

I still hate the flyers though.. 

#29 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,931 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 09:11 AM

I don't know a lot about the Flyers situation but aren't they over the cap and roster limit?  I would've guessed Cleary was going somewhere with both roster and cap space.  Then a 3 year contract makes a lot more sense.

If that report on Holland's offer is accurate, he made a much more serious bid for Cleary than I would've guessed.  

And honestly I won't fully believe this deal is true until it's confirmed by someone other than just St. James.

#30 ogreslayer

ogreslayer

1st Line All-Star

• HoF Booster
  • 1,974 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 09:17 AM

I'm gonna miss Bear.  :nhl2:  (Z's the lion, Cleary was Bear, and Franzen "used" to mule). Absurd contract but no doubt he will bring much needed leadership and stability to the flyers. 

I still hate the flyers though.. 

At least Cleary still gets to hate the Pens though, so he has that going for him.

#31 number9

number9

All The Best Players Wear A 9

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,551 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 09:21 AM

Flyers will have around 2 million in cap space left once they send a few players to the minors/waivers and put Pronger back on LTIR.

#32 T.Low

T.Low

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,939 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 09:35 AM

but there is no denying that he was a warrior on the ice, and always left it all on the ice.

Apparently there is some denying, I saw it on the other thread.

#33 number9

number9

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,551 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 09:36 AM

So now that Cleary is really not coming back... We can send Emmerton and Lashoff down to GR to start the season and we'll have just over 600K in cap space and a 23 man roster. No trades necessary.

#34 rrasco

rrasco

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,023 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 09:39 AM

What happened to the other thread?  It's gone this morning.  Did the entire thread really have to be deleted, what happened?  I kind of wanted to read the rest of it.....

So now that Cleary is really not coming back... We can send Emmerton and Lashoff down to GR to start the season and we'll have just over 600K in cap space and a 23 man roster. No trades necessary.

If Helm can't play Emmerton will be up, but I that would also deal with the roster cap in its own way.

Kronwalled.net - Keep Yer Head up Kid

MONEY ON THE BOARD: $10/Kronwalling (1), $1/goal by: Nyquist, Tatar, Jurco, Sheahan, disney.com (1), Andersson, Dekeyser, Pulkinnen, Ouellet, or Sproul.  2X MULTIPLIER: disney.com.  CONSOLATION PRIZE: $5/goal by: Datsyuk (3), $3/goal by: Z (1). MOTB TOTAL: $30

#35 fat guy in a maltby jersey

fat guy in a maltby jersey

3rd Line Checker

• Restricted
  • PipPip
  • 366 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 09:50 AM

time

to

CELEBRATE

#36 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 09:51 AM

The doomsaying will finally end.

Terrible deal for Philly, especially given that team's cap crunch. I'm not sure what Holmgren is thinking.

#37 number9

number9

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,551 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 10:10 AM

Now if the Flyers can just get a goalie they'll win the cup

#38 St. Michael (the Red Wing)

St. Michael (the Red Wing)

Heavenly With the Puck

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,822 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 10:12 AM

IF this is official. Great deal for our Wings :P

#39 ogreslayer

ogreslayer

1st Line All-Star

• HoF Booster
  • 1,974 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 10:18 AM

I would seriously doubt they would only go with 6 d-men on the roster.  Helm will probably start the season on IR, Emmerton will still be in the line-up, & 1 of Eaves or Tootoo will be dealt/waived.

Edit: With neither Emmerton or Lashoff being waiver exempt, I could see Kenny taking a risk on losing Cory depending on how ready Ferraro & Sheahan look in camp.  I don't think anyone would claim him though, like Jan Mursak last season, so it's low risk imo.  I'm pretty confident though that Lashoff wouldn't make it through unclaimed.  With Almquist being really the only d-man in GR on the cusp of being ready for the big team, I really don't see Lashoff being sent down at all.

Edited by ogreslayer, 10 September 2013 - 10:33 AM.

#40 Mors

Mors

The Red Death

• HoF Booster
  • 1,995 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 10:48 AM

Awesome deal for Cleary, insanely bad deal for the Flyers. I'm relieved the threat is over, good luck to Cleary.