#41 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 11:15 AM

St. James strikes again:

Sam Carchidi ‏@BroadStBull 5m
Homer confirms that Cleary will be here on tryout contract. "But there are no promises" on a deal, he insisted. #flyers

She has now "confirmed" Cleary's not-actually-real $3m+ contract offer from Holland, and his also not-actually-real contract offer from the Flyers.

#42 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,390 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 11:23 AM

Well he has to impress them and pass the physical test but eeven Holmer wouldn't give out such a contract easily.

kftx.jpg

The Offseason of truth ...

Welcome to hockeytown Jonas aka Lundquist 2 Gustavsson!

blank cheque for The Captain or Jim Star Nil please..

<< Win it for Mr. Hockey !

#43 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,130 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 11:26 AM

Flyers have used 2 buyouts plus an ordinary buyout, still have 10 signed defensemen and a 25 man roster, currently 2mil over the cap, and still offer a training camp contract worth almost 3mil per year for 3 years. Yup great management

#44 ogreslayer

ogreslayer

Hall-of-Famer

• HoF Booster
  • 2,002 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 11:30 AM

Flyers have used 2 buyouts plus an ordinary buyout, still have 10 signed defensemen and a 25 man roster, currently 2mil over the cap, and still offer a training camp contract worth almost 3mil per year for 3 years. Yup great management

Technically, 24 man roster since Pronger is still counted among those 10 d-men & he'll be on LTIR again as soon as the season starts.  That also moves them below the cap by ~$2.89m.  If Cleary does play his way onto the Flyers' roster, all they'll really need to do is clear up 1 roster spot.

#45 StormJH1

StormJH1

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 706 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 12:04 PM

I really appreciated Cleary's contributions to the Wings (particularly the 2009 Playoffs, when Cleary CARRIED us at times), but he had to go.  As hard as it is to let go of important veterans, I'm glad that the Red Wings organization is not overly sentimental when making roster moves.  We have young players ready to take his spot now that can do it better and cheaper.

#46 Nev

Nev

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,088 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 12:50 PM

I really appreciated Cleary's contributions to the Wings (particularly the 2009 Playoffs, when Cleary CARRIED us at times),

With a double groin tear too.

"If I can be totally honest, it's not a lot of guys you get impressed by. Actually, it's no one else but him. From the bench, to see what move he makes -- you're like, 'I wish I could do that.' Sometimes you sit on the bench and just think, 'wow,' and you look over to the other bench and they sit there and shake their heads, too. He has great, great skills. I'm probably not going to play with another player who has the kind of skills he has." Mikael Samuelsson on Pavel Datsyuk

#47 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,130 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 12:55 PM

Technically, 24 man roster since Pronger is still counted among those 10 d-men & he'll be on LTIR again as soon as the season starts.  That also moves them below the cap by ~$2.89m.  If Cleary does play his way onto the Flyers' roster, all they'll really need to do is clear up 1 roster spot.

Good point. Forgot to account for pronger. I'm also pretty sure even with his salary eliminated they are over still. Could be wrong though. Also they would have to clear two spots. One to get to the 23 man limit, and one to add Cleary

#48 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,185 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 01:05 PM

I'm glad that the Red Wings organization is not overly sentimental when making roster moves.

Not that it really matters (in the scheme of things and all), but...sarcasm?

Don't Toews me, bro!

#49 number9

number9

All The Best Players Wear A 9

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,067 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 01:06 PM

Good point. Forgot to account for pronger. I'm also pretty sure even with his salary eliminated they are over still. Could be wrong though. Also they would have to clear two spots. One to get to the 23 man limit, and one to add Cleary

Nope, theyre definitely under with Pronger on LTIR. Under by almost 3 million. And they have quite a few extra forwards and D-men that arnt that special. So by waiving 2 of them and signing Cleary, they'll probably end up with around 2 million in cap space.

#50 ogreslayer

ogreslayer

Hall-of-Famer

• HoF Booster
  • 2,002 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 01:13 PM

Yeah, for some reason I was thinking Cleary would be 25th when added to their current roster when he would actually be 26.  Good catch.

With Pronger's salary cap hit on the books until he's officially on LTIR this season, the Flyers' cap payroll stands at ~$69.2m which includes deferrable bonuses of $2.8m.  Taking that & Pronger's cap hit off the books then puts their hit against the cap at ~$61.4m.  Official cap space would be $2,887,907 before adding Cleary. 

Edited by ogreslayer, 10 September 2013 - 01:15 PM.

#51 number9

number9

All The Best Players Wear A 9

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,067 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 01:15 PM

http://www.capgeek.c...or/roster/32022

Don't know if that link will work, on my phone.

But on capgeek I demoted Adam Hall and Marc Andre Bourdon and signed Cleary. Leaving the Flyers with 4.1 million in cap space. Not to shabby for them actually

Edited by number9, 10 September 2013 - 01:16 PM.

#52 T.Low

T.Low

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,063 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 01:18 PM

Pronger will be very happy to see his old friend Cleary.

#53 FireCaptain

FireCaptain

This space for rent.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,934 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 01:30 PM

Good question.

Hold on a minute, how can he be a warrior if he isn't a firefighter?

Most nights, my posts are brought to you by some sort of IPA and a heaping dose of sarcasm.
Success has a thousand fathers, failure is an orphan.
We not score, is hard to win. - Pavel Datsyuk #13

#54 Jersey Wing

Jersey Wing

Watching Eastern Conference hockey before it was cool...

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,125 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 02:04 PM

I know a lot of people here ranked on Cleary but he did some good hard work and scored that magnificent winner in game 7 against the Ducks. How great was that goal? Ducks fans still whine about it. Fare thee well Daniel Cleary, you wore #11 at least as honorably as Mathieu Dandenault.

14767451334_8f0d14d8cb_o.jpg

#55 Learn2LuvIt

Learn2LuvIt

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 566 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 02:37 PM

Not sure how this deal will turn out long term for the Wings.  However, I do know that part of being a good GM is knowing when to put emotions aside to let go.  It's funny, cause this is the one weakER aspect of Kenny's skill set (please...this is about the only aspect of an overall titanium skill set).  I believe he's held on to players way too long in the past (e.g./IMO =  Homer).  As other posters stated, I thought Kenny would have matched. 

ENJOY THE RIDE

#56 evilmrt

evilmrt

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,601 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 03:03 PM

Well, I don't understand two things:

1. Philly is offering an NTC??!?!?!

2. Cleary is still going to come to Wings camp anyway?

:lol:

#57 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,185 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 03:20 PM

Wait, what?

Don't Toews me, bro!

#58 MileHighWingsGuy

MileHighWingsGuy

Rookie

• Pip
  • 158 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 03:22 PM

We have no hope in actually formulating a trade and executing it now right? If Cleary is gone Holland has no motivation whatsoever.

RedWing fan behind enemy lines

#59 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 03:26 PM

We have no hope in actually formulating a trade and executing it now right? If Cleary is gone Holland has no motivation whatsoever.

... except for, you know, clearing two roster spots and some cap space. Exactly what were you expecting?

Well, I don't understand two things:

1. Philly is offering an NTC??!?!?!

2. Cleary is still going to come to Wings camp anyway?

:lol:

He isn't coming to the Wings' training camp. He was invited by Holland, but refused without a satisfactory offer on the table.

#60 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,611 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 03:35 PM

Franzen is in for it now. There won't be a second whipping boy to share the load with.
Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.