• This topic is locked This topic is locked
201 replies to this topic

#61 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 03:41 PM

Franzen is in for it now. There won't be a second whipping boy to share the load with.

You're forgetting Quincey.

#62 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,086 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 03:47 PM

I'm hearing conflicting things. Is Cleary officially (becoming) a Flyer or is this a PTO dealy?

Holmgren: Cleary has 'no promises' for contract [PHT]

I haven't been following this all that closely, so maybe I just missed something...?

Don't Toews me, bro!

#63 wingedominance13

wingedominance13

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 381 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 03:57 PM

Ya seriously what's going on everything I read said he is just going to their camp

#64 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,931 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 04:08 PM

And Smith.

#65 Playmaker

Playmaker

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,189 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 04:37 PM

When so many players simply do not think or care about loyalty and only chase the money, Cleary was loyal to the Red Wings to the bitter end. Hope you have a major bounce back season with Philadelphia, Clearly.

He turned down an offer from the Wings to take a higher offer from a non playoff team, how is this showing loyalty and not chasing the money? He showed no loyalty whatsoever and went to the highest bidder.

#66 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,913 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 05:07 PM

When so many players simply do not think or care about loyalty and only chase the money, Cleary was loyal to the Red Wings to the bitter end. Hope you have a major bounce back season with Philadelphia, Clearly.He turned down an offer from the Wings to take a higher offer from a non playoff team, how is this showing loyalty and not chasing the money? He showed no loyalty whatsoever and went to the highest bidder.

Flyers just like the Wings are on the second tier so I would not write them off just yet. Although their goaltending will be key once again.

kftx.jpg

The Offseason of truth ...

Welcome to hockeytown Jonas aka Lundquist 2 Gustavsson!

blank cheque for The Captain or Jim Star Nil please..

#67 RedWingsRox

RedWingsRox

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,108 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 06:30 PM

Congrats to Cleary for winning the lottery, couldn't have happened to a nicer guy!  By the reaction from all the teammates, he was obviously a class act in the locker room.  

BUT I can't deny that I'm thrilled that we don't have to worry about signing him.  

#68 Jaymister

Jaymister

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,951 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 06:35 PM

He no longer seems to be a useful player, glad he's going elsewhere.

Cujo is a top 5 goalie in the league- Scott Lucidi

#69 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,239 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 06:35 PM

Flyers just like the Wings are on the second tier so I would not write them off just yet. Although their goaltending will be key once again.

They don't have good defense or goaltending, and their offense is not always good. They are a team known for over paying for decent players and blaming all their woes on their goalie

#70 brett

brett

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,976 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 06:56 PM

so he went for an extra 1.65 mil over 3 years

shows how much he wanted to be here. or maybe he knew he was getting push to the bottom

he always was a good playoff guy. but 3 years is too long and 2.75 is too much. i rather have alfie

#71 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,738 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 07:29 PM

What if he takes them to the Finals like Leino did?

According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#72 GoWings1905

GoWings1905

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 5,273 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 07:30 PM

shows how much he wanted to be here. or maybe he knew he was getting push to the bottom

he always was a good playoff guy. but 3 years is too long and 2.75 is too much. i rather have alfie

Not sure it has as much to do with Cleary's desire to stay with the Red Wings, as it does the Wings have no space to make the move. I think if both sides had their way, Cleary would still be in Detroit. Not that I'm disappointed in Cleary moving on to the Flyers, but in reality Holland's awful contract to Samuelsson probably prevented Cleary from staying. So for once, I'm thankful to have that horrible deal. 

As you stated, I completely agree that three years is far too long for a player breaking down physically. Cleary is one of my favorites, but I am relieved that the Red Wings don't have another roster spot potentially being taken away from Nyquist/Tatar. 

Regardless, I am grateful for Cleary's dedication and service to the organization. Remarkable story from training camp invite to a major contributor on a championship team and one that came within a game of another. I personally became a huge Cleary fan because of his work-ethic and heart. He fell down a ton at the end, but he was always out there competing hard every shift.

Anticipating Cleary outworking Franzen for a loose puck or two on October 12th.  :bye1:

"To whom much is given, much is expected."

#73 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,913 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 07:58 PM

Not sure it has as much to do with Cleary's desire to stay with the Red Wings, as it does the Wings have no space to make the move. I think if both sides had their way, Cleary would still be in Detroit. Not that I'm disappointed in Cleary moving on to the Flyers, but in reality Holland's awful contract to Samuelsson probably prevented Cleary from staying. So for once, I'm thankful to have that horrible deal. 

As you stated, I completely agree that three years is far too long for a player breaking down physically. Cleary is one of my favorites, but I am relieved that the Red Wings don't have another roster spot potentially being taken away from Nyquist/Tatar. 

Regardless, I am grateful for Cleary's dedication and service to the organization. Remarkable story from training camp invite to a major contributor on a championship team and one that came within a game of another. I personally became a huge Cleary fan because of his work-ethic and heart. He fell down a ton at the end, but he was always out there competing hard every shift.

Anticipating Cleary outworking Franzen for a loose puck or two on October 12th.  :bye1:

Nothing against Cleary I wish him well but it was time to move on. The Detroit Red Wings need to get younger and also meaner. So good luck in Philly you are going to need it Cleary.

kftx.jpg

The Offseason of truth ...

Welcome to hockeytown Jonas aka Lundquist 2 Gustavsson!

blank cheque for The Captain or Jim Star Nil please..

#74 Playmaker

Playmaker

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,189 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 08:20 PM

Reports are that the Wings offered Cleary contracts twice. He turned them both down. Cleary left for the money. Good for Ken Holland for using common sense.

#75 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 09:14 PM

What if he takes them to the Finals like Leino did?

Leino's numbers were inflated. Briere and Hartnell did all the work for him. Now he's in Buffalo without any guys like that, and he's terrible just like was with the Wings.

#76 T.Low

T.Low

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,937 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 09:14 PM

Nothing against Cleary I wish him well but it was time to move on. The Detroit Red Wings need to get younger and also meaner. So good luck in Philly you are going to need it Cleary.

Because Nyquist is meaner than Cleary.

#77 T.Low

T.Low

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,937 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 09:38 PM

And Smith is always just a missed pinch away from a good whippin

#78 rrasco

rrasco

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,022 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 10:56 PM

So I was just playing NHL 14 and I decided I should play my first game against Buffalo just like this year's schedule.  I won the game.  The weird part, 2 goals including the GWG...by Daniel Cleary.

Kronwalled.net - Keep Yer Head up Kid

MONEY ON THE BOARD: $10/Kronwalling (1), $1/goal by: Nyquist, Tatar, Jurco, Sheahan, disney.com (1), Andersson, Dekeyser, Pulkinnen, Ouellet, or Sproul.  2X MULTIPLIER: disney.com.  CONSOLATION PRIZE: $5/goal by: Datsyuk (3), $3/goal by: Z (1). MOTB TOTAL: $30

#79 Vladifan

Vladifan

Legend

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 5,759 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 11:07 PM

I will miss him very much.  He worked his ass off, and like someone else said here, he gave his body to the Red Wings.  I hope he proves a lot of you to be arrogant, fickle fans.   

"He even ate with women who at that time were accorded the same status as the family donkey. Are we willing to break bread with, say, child sex slaves, transgender teens and undocumented workers? Because when Jesus comes back to Earth, that's where he'll be hanging."
You can easily judge the character of a man by how he treats those who can do nothing for him.

#80 kipwinger

kipwinger

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,689 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 11:09 PM

What an unbelievably bad contract for a guy who, while great in the past, seems to be declining pretty rapidly.  That term is brutal. 

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

Get off the high horse.  Not like she was 10."

"Some girls are 17 even though they look 25."