#101 Jedi

Jedi

I used to be a spy...

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 9,821 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 03:13 PM

Here we go again...

Per Aaron Ward...

Hearing a meeting took place today between Dan Cleary,Mike Babcock,and Ken Holland in Traverse City,MI.

burnnotice2.png
Covert Ops has its perks. You travel, make your own hours, and expense most of your meals.
The downside? Lots of people want you dead...

#102 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 17,130 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 03:15 PM

Here we go again...

Per Aaron Ward...

Just came here to post this. 

what the heck is going on?  Let him go Kenny.

#103 Bryguy

Bryguy

Zata

• PipPipPip
  • 541 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 03:17 PM

Uh oh...They must really love this guy something fierce, if only they put this much effort into keeping brunner or hossa.

#104 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,107 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 03:26 PM

Aaron Ward reported that Cleary may have met with Babcock and Holland in Traverse City. Like, today-ish, I think.

Whoops, didn't see there's a sixth page. What Jedi said.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#105 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 17,130 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 03:28 PM

Haven't most of these same arguments been used against Franzen, Filppula and others? If Franzen's goal stats are given, it's well, he scores in bunches, or they're not "quality" goals or important goals or he should've scored more if he played harder. Franzen has had an extensive injury history and it's likely that he's played through injuries as well, but he's considered lazy. He would have been ripped to shreds if he had the defensive lapses that Cleary did.

I don't think it's beyond the realm of possibility that Babcock may have overlooked Cleary's shortcomings for whatever personal reasons. It's not unlike the Brandon Inge situation with the Tigers. He was a decent player, but when he had clearly lost his ability to be an everyday player, he was still penciled into the lineup daily. I think had Cleary played on a 3rd or 4th line and was scratched when he was underperforming like other players were, it would have lessened the dissatisfaction with Cleary.

The lionshare of the criticisms of Mule come back to one point: his lack of consistent effort from shift to shift and game to game.  It's been pretty clearly stated in every thread where his name comes up.  And Flip avoided most criticism due to his consistent effort.  People just wished he'd scored more. 

So your argument as to why Babcock played Cleary in clutch situations in spite of all his obvious flaws is: 

1) personal reasons

2) baseball?

I think I'm done here.  

Cleary did everything that was asked of him.  People should be angry with Babcock and Holland, not Cleary.

#106 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,107 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 03:30 PM

DIE HARD

Don't Toews me, bro!

#107 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,107 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 03:36 PM

My gut says Cleary will be a Wing by December at the latest.

Holland is too nice and loyal, and - whether you like Cleary or not, or whatever - Cleary is his big reclamation project success story.

It feels so weird reading "Well, we tried to meet in the middle, but we had to move on. Thxbai" comments from Holland re: Cleary.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#108 Jedi

Jedi

I used to be a spy...

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 9,821 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 03:48 PM

Ironically, this all happens after the Red Wings roster page officially shows Alfredsson as #11...

burnnotice2.png
Covert Ops has its perks. You travel, make your own hours, and expense most of your meals.

#109 Playmaker

Playmaker

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,234 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 03:57 PM

The lionshare of the criticisms of Mule come back to one point: his lack of consistent effort from shift to shift and game to game.  It's been pretty clearly stated in every thread where his name comes up.  And Flip avoided most criticism due to his consistent effort.  People just wished he'd scored more. 

So your argument as to why Babcock played Cleary in clutch situations in spite of all his obvious flaws is: 

1) personal reasons

2) baseball?

I think I'm done here.  

Cleary did everything that was asked of him.  People should be angry with Babcock and Holland, not Cleary.

Right, it's Babcock's fault that Cleary was slow, played poor defensively and lost pucks along the boards. I guess fans should also be mad at Holland and Babcock because of the way Franzen plays too. So a guy signs with another team, the GM bids his farewells, thanks for all you did, then suddenly the deal with Philly is off and the coach is involved in a meeting with him. But Babcock's personal bias has absolutely nothing to do with it.

#110 Mitchmac33

Mitchmac33

Come on son!

• PipPip
  • 427 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 05:26 PM

This is so frustrating.  I was so happy when he was "signed" with Philly and out of the Wings org.  It already looks like Tatar was the odd man out according to the early line combos for camp.  Why is it that every time Holland gets me to have faith again, he goes and does something like this...

#111 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 17,130 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 05:30 PM

Right, it's Babcock's fault that Cleary was slow, played poor defensively and lost pucks along the boards. I guess fans should also be mad at Holland and Babcock because of the way Franzen plays too. So a guy signs with another team, the GM bids his farewells, thanks for all you did, then suddenly the deal with Philly is off and the coach is involved in a meeting with him. But Babcock's personal bias has absolutely nothing to do with it.

Who exactly do you think decides ice time on the team? You think Cleary hops over the boards on his own? If he was as bad as you make him sound he'd be watching from the press box.  

Instead he's getting big minutes because he's a dependable utility guy and Babcock had few options.  That's where Kenny "NTC" Holland deserves some blame.  The Wings have needed a top 6 guy for a while and Holland's solution was Bert and Sammy. 

But nah, you're right.  I'm sure it's some personal bias with Babcock and not about trying to give the team the best chance at winning.  He seems like a pretty soft guy who's overly sentimental with players. 

#112 fat guy in a maltby jersey

fat guy in a maltby jersey

3rd Line Checker

• Restricted
  • PipPip
  • 366 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 05:37 PM

why

god why

#113 ben_usmc

ben_usmc

Kenny Powers Fan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,829 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 06:00 PM

f*** you Dan Cleary just leave already!  If Ken Holland resigns Cleary, he immediately should be fired, I'm not exaggerating. 

Edited by ben_usmc, 11 September 2013 - 06:00 PM.

There's no I in team, but there's a U in c***, so don't be little jealous c***s

#114 ShanahanMan

ShanahanMan

DUUUUUUUUH

• Silver Booster
  • 5,750 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 06:10 PM

s***, bet he's coming back.

I HATE JASON WILLIAMS

#115 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,107 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 06:46 PM

I wonder how Tatar feels about this.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#116 ShanahanMan

ShanahanMan

DUUUUUUUUH

• Silver Booster
  • 5,750 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 06:47 PM

Looks like its confirmed Cleary won't be at Flyers camp.

http://flyers.nhl.co...s.htm?id=682165

Edit:
Strike that. Now its showing him. :)

Edited by ShanahanMan, 11 September 2013 - 06:48 PM.

I HATE JASON WILLIAMS

#117 Jedi

Jedi

I used to be a spy...

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 9,821 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 06:54 PM

Frank Serevalli, for the Philadelphia Daily News, is tweeting that Cleary will be at Wells Fargo Center tomorrow morning for the Flyers training camp.

http://twitter.com/D...939913951297536

Flyers say Dan Cleary is in a group skating at 8:30am tomorrow at Wells Fargo. I guess we'll see then.

http://twitter.com/D...941067535880193

He was supposed to report today and didn't show, went to DET to meet with Wings. Flyers still expect him.

burnnotice2.png

#118 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,615 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 07:03 PM

I wonder if he'll be wearing a Wings jersey?

"Mess up tomorrow, don't mess up now".

- Harry James Benson, CBE.

#119 BottleOfSmoke

BottleOfSmoke

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,351 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 07:05 PM

Good God this is becoming a farce! I feel like we're being trolled HARD. STOP THE INSANITY! Just break up with him already!

LGWsig_zpsa75c5d1e.jpg

Just look at how he hangs his sunglasses from his banana hammock in that last pic.  This guyf****** rules. --kipwinger

#120 amato

amato

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,649 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 07:12 PM

It's like Cleary is an ex girlfriend and Kenny just won't let go :P

Datsyukian

Dat·syu·ki·an [dat-soo-kee-uh n]

adjective

1. When your moves are so amazing and beyond reason, the only way to describe them is "datsyukian."