• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Jedi

Report: Cleary to sign with PHI, 3 yrs, $2.75m/yr, NTC

Rate this topic

Please take this with a grain of salt, but one of the Wings beat writers who I talk to on and off emailed me back and told me he's heard whispers that the Wings have verbally agreed to new terms with Cleary and could be announced as early as tomorrow....

:confused:

I guess all of that is irrelevant to me. If Cleary had not produced points, people would have piled on him even more. Especially since Cleary was receiving a lot of ice time. Cleary gets "ugly" goals/points because he puts himself into position to do so. Maybe if Franzen and Filppula would have done the same, they could have gotten themselves some more "illegitimate" points.

I think discrediting a player's production is rather silly. Players get deflections off their body when they go to the front of the net, not float around the perimeter like Franzen and Filppula did. Hockey is a weird game of bounces and you clearly were just focusing on the negatives in your analysis of Cleary to further diminish his value to the team.

I could analyze Franzen and Filppula's play and come up with a whole lot of invisibility. I will stand by my original point that Cleary was useful in the playoffs. You attempted to do the same thing for Brunner when he didn't get re-signed.

Cleary is garbage please stop

This is retarded. If Cleary signs with the Wings I will legitimately be pissed off. Not because what he has done, but because it's time to MOVE ON!

I would have liked your comment except he is done, but I agree no matter what he needs to move on.

More news: http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/flyers/20130912_Cleary_to_Flyers_might_not_happen.html

The Flyers were expecting Cleary to report to training camp yesterday for medical evaluations and media responsibilities, but he apparently has cold feet about leaving Detroit. According to TSN's Aaron Ward, Cleary instead traveled to Traverse City, Mich., to meet with Red Wings general manager Ken Holland and coach Mike Babcock. Cleary, 34, held out until the eve of training camp to try to negotiate a new deal to stay in Detroit, where he has played since 2005.
Twelve hours before accepting that offer from the Flyers, the Free Press said Cleary was standing in Joe Louis Arena wearing a Tigers hat saying, "There's nothing like being a Red Wing."
Edited by ShanahanMan

Cleary is garbage please stop

Solid argument. I have stated many times I don't want Cleary back. I'm just merely defending him from people that made him the scapegoat for everything wrong with the Red Wings.

You bash Cleary at nearly every opportunity. If you don't want him back that's fine, but maybe try considering the context of my argument instead of just pure dismissal.

Sometimes understanding the plan is really hard, DetroitRedWings need to get younger fine, the rookies impressed last season also fine...offseason iscoming and we sign a 41 old Alfredsson and think about re-signing Dan clearly I don't get.

This roster needs to have a place for Tatar, Nyquist, Kindl and Dekeyser.

Sometimes understanding the plan is really hard, DetroitRedWings need to get younger fine, the rookies impressed last season also fine...offseason iscoming and we sign a 41 old Alfredsson and think about re-signing Dan clearly I don't get.

This roster needs to have a place for Tatar, Nyquist, Kindl and Dekeyser.

You forgot to mention Samuelsson and Bertuzzi.

I think Nyquist is safe. If Helm's not ready to go (and, really, even if he is), Anderson should be safe. (Anderon > Emmerton)

Kindl and DeKeyser should be totally safe; I don't expect Lashoff to bump either one, and even if he does....

The one I'm really worried about? That would be Tatar.

All the guy does is tear the AHL a new you-know-what and look like he belongs in a stint with the big club. If this were any other organization, he'd probably be a top-six NHL star (meaning, of course, a guy who plays in the top six. Not one of the six best in the league. JUST CLARIFICATING OK? OK)

The funny (except not) thing is, I think Tatar's going to be sort of a Cleary-type in that he likes going to those hard areas and causing damage. He even fought a dude in the playoffs. Granted, that's the AHL. But still.

THIS IS MADNESS

NO. THIS. IS. ...WAIT YES IT IS MADNESS

Sam Carchidi ‏@BroadStBull

Source: Dan Cleary is not at #Flyers camp. He was slated to be on ice with first group at 8:30 today.

Pulling a no show makes me think he's close to signing a contract, and non-PTO at that, to come back to the Wings. I'm to the point where I don't care what he does, I just want it over.

Pulling a no show makes me think he's close to signing a contract, and non-PTO at that, to come back to the Wings. I'm to the point where I don't care what he does, I just want it over.

if he does sign here, hopefully it's because we're close to a trade to clear some space.. *fingers crossed* but not expecting much.

Guest Crymson

From Elliotte Friedman of CBC:

"Working theory is he simply did not want to leave DET. Expectation is he will re-sign -- probably for less than he would get in PHI"

*sigh*

That's speculation.

Guest Hatethedrake!

You know what? I'm happy if Cleary is back with the Wings. The guy is a heart and soul guy and obviously Babs thinks so too. Cleary is a key part of that locker room and is a leader. If you're a Wings fan and it really bothers you that much that Dan Cleary is still a Red WIng, then maybe you should not watch them this season. I'd rather have a broken down Dan Cleary who comes up big in the playoffs then a guy who has all kinds of talent and is invisible. The way I see it is Kenny didn't want Cleary back because of all the dead weight on the team right now i.e. Sammy, Bert, Tootoo. I think Babs told Kenny that he WANTS Cleary on this team. I believe Cleary is a big reason why the Wings got to the 2nd round în the playoffs. 1 win from going to the West Final. Was he the only reason? No. But clearly, Cleary was one of the best Wings players in the playoffs. If you do not acknowledge this then you don't know hockey at all. I don't care if his goals were 'garbage." A playoff goal is a playoff goal. Cleary's value in the playoffs is evident. I don't know why he is this board's whipping boy. I really don't. I just shake my head. I don't care if posters here hate Dan Cleary. I like the guy and appreciate what he has done for this team. Obviously Babs does too. If Cleary re-signs with the Wings then they are a better team for it.

Edited by Hatethedrake!