• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Jedi

Report: Cleary to sign with PHI, 3 yrs, $2.75m/yr, NTC

Rate this topic

I don't think anyone absolutely, unequivocally hates the idea of Daniel Cleary remaining a Red Wing. If he could be had for a really great contract, and if his presence were to not have a negative effect on Tatar's chances, wouldn't we all be ok with that? I think so. Especially if he gets nights off in the regular season.

So, the real concern, I think, lies not with Cleary himself but with the idea of paying him around 2.75 for around three years, and how that would very likely hurt the development of a good young talent or two.

Edited by Dabura

if he does sign here, hopefully it's because we're close to a trade to clear some space.. *fingers crossed* but not expecting much.

A sign and trade maybe

I don't think anyone absolutely, unequivocally hates the idea of Daniel Cleary remaining a Red Wing. If he could be had for a really great contract, and if his presence were to not have a negative effect of Tatar's chances, wouldn't we all be ok with that? I think so. Especially if he gets nights off in the regular season.

So, the real concern, I think, lies not with Cleary himself but with the idea of paying him around 2.75 for around three years, and how that would very likely hurt the development of a good young talent or two.

I do

Guest Hatethedrake!

I don't see how Cleary affects Tatar at all. I see Tatar playng with Andersson and Nyquist. I see Cleary playing with Helm and Miller. Or Emmerton and Miller. I see Sammy and Bert as being the odd guys out. Eaves and Tootoo as well.

Wings' Holland said he met with Cleary yest, and will continue to talk today. Cleary badly wants to be a Wing, but roster space still issue

Holland said putting someone on IR and signing Cleary not an option. They'd have to trade or waive someone. They have 16 forwards now.

All indications are that Dan Cleary is going to join the Detroit Red Wings at Training Camp. #TSN

I'm so confused.

I don't see how Cleary affects Tatar at all. I see Tatar playng with Andersson and Nyquist. I see Cleary playing with Helm and Miller. Or Emmerton and Miller. I see Sammy and Bert as being the odd guys out. Eaves and Tootoo as well.

But Sammy and Bert are signed with NTC's and 35+ contracts.

He'd have to get rid of someone more like Tootoo and Eaves. And he'd likely lose them and get nothing in return.

Guest Hatethedrake!

Kenny may have to pay Sammy and Bert and have them on the 23 man roster. But he doesn't have to play them. They can both sit in the press box. Eaves and Tootoo and Emmerton will have to be moved to make room for Cleary. If Helm can't play then Emmerton stays. I'd rather have Miller as the 4th line centre and dump Emmerton. But it looks like Emmerton is insurance for Helm. Eaves will be easier to deal than Tootoo. His 1.9 mil a year salary kills his trade value. Plus he still has 2 years left on his deal. Eaves has 1 year left. Emmerton could be waived and some team MAY claim him.

Important to note,Dan Cleary and the Detroit Red Wings do NOT have a deal done at this point. #TSN

I wouldn't mind Cleary coming back to play in the bottom 6 if the Wings weren't already neck deep in forwards, a lot of them being younger guys who could use the playing time. Holland really screwed himself by handing out NTC's like candy, and now I don't know what he's got planned if he's still trying to fit in Cleary.

I don't see how Cleary affects Tatar at all.

Possibly less ice for Tatar? Possibly Tatar gets bumped down the depth chart? Not to be a jerk, but it's not a difficult concept.

I think, realistically, it probably wouldn't have a huge impact on Tatar. But to say there'd be no impact at all? At the end of the day, a roster spot is a roster spot. I don't think theoretical lines are quite as important here as one might think (i.e. us thinking, "Well, Tatar's gonna be on the third line, so what's the deal?" doesn't really mean anything). And honestly, I'll be surprised if Tatar doesn't spend a good deal of time on the fourth line, given, well, history.

Ulltimately, I'm not outright opposed to Cleary coming back. But it has to make sense.

Edited by Dabura

Excerpts from Mlive:

Holland said putting someone on injured reserve and signing Cleary is not an option. They would need to trade or waive somebody.

“I like him on the team, the coach wants him back, I know all of the players want him back,'' Holland said. “He’s a leader in the locker room. He’s a good pro. He’s versatile. He can play either wing, up and down the lineup, third, second, first or fourth lines.

Holland said they met with Cleary Wednesday out of interest and respect.

“He’s meant a lot to our franchise,'' Holland said. “Everybody here believes we’re a better team if he’s on our team, but we have to weigh if we can make it happen.
“At the end of the day it doesn’t matter to me if there are other teams in the mix. I’m trying to do what we can do. If it’s enough great, if it’s not there’s nothing we can do about it. I’ve explained that to his agent and I’ve explained that to Dan.''

http://www.mlive.com/redwings/index.ssf/2013/09/red_wings_continue_talks_with.html

Guest Hatethedrake!

Possibly less ice for Tatar? Possibly Tatar gets bumped down the depth chart? Not to be a jerk, but it's not a difficult concept.

I think, realistically, it probably wouldn't have a huge impact on Tatar. But to say there'd be no impact at all? At the end of the day, a roster spot is a roster spot. I don't think theoretical lines are quite as important here as one might think (i.e. us thinking, "Well, Tatar's gonna be on the third line, so what's the deal?" doesn't really mean anything). And honestly, I'll be surprised if Tatar doesn't spend a good deal of time on the fourth line, given, well, history.

Ulltimately, I'm not outright opposed to Cleary coming back. But it has to make sense.

Not to be a jerk, but does bringing Cleary back affect Zetterberg and Datsyuk's ice time? Alfredsson and Franzen? Weiss? How does having Cleary on the team over Tootoo, Eaves and Emmerton hurt them? Cleary playing over Samuelsson and Bertuzzi. This hurts them how? Tatar will most likely be playing with Andersson and Nyquist. So Babs now says 'Cleary is back so now I will not play my 3rd line as much.' I don't see it. It makes sense to me. Babs wants Cleary on this team. I guess not everyone understand this.

Not to be a jerk, but does bringing Cleary back affect Zetterberg and Datsyuk's ice time? Alfredsson and Franzen? Weiss? How does having Cleary on the team over Tootoo, Eaves and Emmerton hurt them? Cleary playing over Samuelsson and Bertuzzi. This hurts them how? Tatar will most likely be playing with Andersson and Nyquist. So Babs now says 'Cleary is back so now I will not play my 3rd line as much.' I don't see it. It makes sense to me. Babs wants Cleary on this team. I guess not everyone understand this.

I guess not everyone understands roster limits either.

Babs wants Cleary on this team. I guess not everyone understand this.

i guess not everyone understands that babcock is human and can make a poor decision regarding the value of a player. just because babcock likes him doesnt mean hes the best option or a good fit for the teams future. can you guys seriously come up with some better material????

if anything, shouldnt everyone be pointing out ad nauseum that 'if cleary was so great and such a playoff warrior he would have been signed by now. obviously ken holland is smarter than all of you'????

Guest Hatethedrake!

i guess not everyone understands that babcock is human and can make a poor decision regarding the value of a player. just because babcock likes him doesnt mean hes the best option or a good fit for the teams future. can you guys seriously come up with some better material????

if anything, shouldnt everyone be pointing out ad nauseum that 'if cleary was so great and such a playoff warrior he would have been signed by now. obviously ken holland is smarter than all of you'????

It doesn't really matter. The Detroit Red Wings are not paying you for your opinion. They are paying Ken Holland and Mike Babcock. This material is the actual truth.

Guest Crymson

You know what? I'm happy if Cleary is back with the Wings.

He's not back with the Wings.

Those of you who are panicking should note that the Wings would still need to clear three roster spots and 2.5m of cap space. I doubt it will happen.

Play on the first or second lines? Is Holland insane?

Why is it you've always exaggerated what is said in these articles? Holland said he can play on those lines, not that he necessarily will. If you'd read the article, you'd see that he also said Cleary could play on the third or fourth lines.

It doesn't really matter. The Detroit Red Wings are not paying you for your opinion. They are paying Ken Holland and Mike Babcock. This material is the actual truth.

So why even be on this board? I mean we should all just blindly support the Wings and it's not like we have any control over decisions anyway. Whelp it's been fun boys looks like lgw.com is going away

He's not back with the Wings.

Those of you who are panicking should note that the Wings would still need to clear three roster spots and 2.5m of cap space. I doubt it will happen.

Why is it you've always exaggerated what is said in these articles? Holland said he can play on those lines, not that he necessarily will. If you'd read the article, you'd see that he also said Cleary could play on the third or fourth lines.

He shouldn't play on any of the lines, he is pure garbage

Guest Crymson

He shouldn't play on any of the lines, he is pure garbage

Have you seen me disagree with this?

I'm going to go ahead and say fire Holland and Babcock. They obviously aren't serious about winning a Stanley Cup.

That's a bit harsh. I'm mostly worried about whom he's going to replace.

Hopefully it's a contract that can be buried easily in the minors if need be.