201 replies to this topic

#121 gcom007

gcom007

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,064 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 07:52 PM

This is bizarre.

If they do end up losing Tatar over this, my mind is going to be blown, but I don't even know if I'll have the emotional energy to get angry. s*** like this is just not surprising anymore, and that's sad. I've defended and criticized Cleary in the past and in this thread, and while I think he still has value at the right price, I think it'd be nuts to end up losing someone like Tatar so you can get Cleary in his last few years when he's already been on a serious decline. He had a great playoffs, but he's had terrible playoffs in the past too. Again, somewhere in the $1-2 million range is what Cleary should get if he signs with the Wings, and it should only be if it means not losing or further alienating some of your top prospects.

In any event, again, this is just a bizarre situation at this point.

-Elliot...does not panic.

#122 GoWings1905

GoWings1905

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 5,225 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 08:10 PM

I analyzed his production in the playoffs today. He had one legitimate goal (with a stick and against a goalie), the others being either empty netters (1) or deflections off his body (2); and he had one primary assist (a pass to Smith at the blue line), with the remainder being pedestrian passes to other players who ended up doing the actual set-up work. His numbers are very inflated.

In the meantime, he was making bad defensive plays and turning the puck over regularly. The latter became a commonality during the regular season; Cleary required extra time to bend over and pass it a puck, and even more than that to lift it into the air, and opposing players with no such restrictions in quickness (meaning nearly all of them) would generally catch up to him before he managed to get either of those things done. This was especially troublesome along the boards, because the opposition would simply hold him there and yank the puck away from him.

I guess all of that is irrelevant to me. If Cleary had not produced points, people would have piled on him even more. Especially since Cleary was receiving a lot of ice time. Cleary gets "ugly" goals/points because he puts himself into position to do so. Maybe if Franzen and Filppula would have done the same, they could have gotten themselves some more "illegitimate" points. 

I think discrediting a player's production is rather silly. Players get deflections off their body when they go to the front of the net, not float around the perimeter like Franzen and Filppula did. Hockey is a weird game of bounces and you clearly were just focusing on the negatives in your analysis of Cleary to further diminish his value to the team. 

I could analyze Franzen and Filppula's play and come up with a whole lot of invisibility. I will stand by my original point that Cleary was useful in the playoffs. You attempted to do the same thing for Brunner when he didn't get re-signed.

"To whom much is given, much is expected."

#123 T.Low

T.Low

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,895 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 08:24 PM

Playoffs are all about ugly goals.

#124 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,639 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 08:46 PM

Why didn't Datsyuk, Franzen or Filppula score those dirty goals and cheap points that Cleary was putting up?  Guy went to the scoring areas and was rewarded, while those guys were prancing around.  

Maybe we could have beaten Chicago if they played as hard as Cleary.   

Edited by GMRwings1983, 11 September 2013 - 08:47 PM.

According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#125 pucktividi

pucktividi

the usual suspect

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,329 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 09:00 PM

Cleary's been,was...and the kids are ready.

Good luck Danny boy and thank you.

#126 ShanahanMan

ShanahanMan

DUUUUUUUUH

• Silver Booster
  • 5,647 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 09:07 PM

Please take this with a grain of salt, but one of the Wings beat writers who I talk to on and off emailed me back and told me he's heard whispers that the Wings have verbally agreed to new terms with Cleary and could be announced as early as tomorrow....

:confused:

I HATE JASON WILLIAMS

#127 T.Low

T.Low

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,895 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 10:07 PM

Omoshiroi desu ne...

#128 ShanahanMan

ShanahanMan

DUUUUUUUUH

• Silver Booster
  • 5,647 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 10:11 PM

Omoshiroi desu ne...

Sonnakoto NAI to omou.

lol

Edited by ShanahanMan, 11 September 2013 - 10:16 PM.

I HATE JASON WILLIAMS

#129 BottleOfSmoke

BottleOfSmoke

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,954 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 10:17 PM

Watashi wa Nihongo ga wakarimasen. :/

LGWsig_zpsa75c5d1e.jpg

#130 ben_usmc

ben_usmc

Kenny Powers Fan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,818 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 10:34 PM

I guess all of that is irrelevant to me. If Cleary had not produced points, people would have piled on him even more. Especially since Cleary was receiving a lot of ice time. Cleary gets "ugly" goals/points because he puts himself into position to do so. Maybe if Franzen and Filppula would have done the same, they could have gotten themselves some more "illegitimate" points. 

I think discrediting a player's production is rather silly. Players get deflections off their body when they go to the front of the net, not float around the perimeter like Franzen and Filppula did. Hockey is a weird game of bounces and you clearly were just focusing on the negatives in your analysis of Cleary to further diminish his value to the team. 

I could analyze Franzen and Filppula's play and come up with a whole lot of invisibility. I will stand by my original point that Cleary was useful in the playoffs. You attempted to do the same thing for Brunner when he didn't get re-signed.

Cleary is garbage please stop

There's no I in team, but there's a U in c***, so don't be little jealous c***s

#131 rrasco

rrasco

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,003 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 10:37 PM

This is retarded.  If Cleary signs with the Wings I will legitimately be pissed off.  Not because what he has done, but because it's time to MOVE ON!

Kronwalled.net - Keep Yer Head up Kid

MONEY ON THE BOARD: $10/Kronwalling (1), $1/goal by: Nyquist, Tatar, Jurco, Sheahan, disney.com (1), Andersson, Dekeyser, Pulkinnen, Ouellet, or Sproul.  2X MULTIPLIER: disney.com.  CONSOLATION PRIZE: $5/goal by: Datsyuk (3), $3/goal by: Z (1). MOTB TOTAL: $30

#132 ben_usmc

ben_usmc

Kenny Powers Fan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,818 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 10:53 PM

This is retarded.  If Cleary signs with the Wings I will legitimately be pissed off.  Not because what he has done, but because it's time to MOVE ON!

I would have liked your comment except he is done, but I agree no matter what he needs to move on. 

There's no I in team, but there's a U in c***, so don't be little jealous c***s

#133 ShanahanMan

ShanahanMan

DUUUUUUUUH

• Silver Booster
  • 5,647 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 12:14 AM

More news: http://www.philly.co...not_happen.html

The Flyers were expecting Cleary to report to training camp yesterday for medical evaluations and media responsibilities, but he apparently has cold feet about leaving Detroit. According to TSN's Aaron Ward, Cleary instead traveled to Traverse City, Mich., to meet with Red Wings general manager Ken Holland and coach Mike Babcock. Cleary, 34, held out until the eve of training camp to try to negotiate a new deal to stay in Detroit, where he has played since 2005.

Twelve hours before accepting that offer from the Flyers, the Free Press said Cleary was standing in Joe Louis Arena wearing a Tigers hat saying, "There's nothing like being a Red Wing."

Edited by ShanahanMan, 12 September 2013 - 12:15 AM.

I HATE JASON WILLIAMS

#134 Nev

Nev

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,038 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 12:22 AM

Daniel, is that you?

"If I can be totally honest, it's not a lot of guys you get impressed by. Actually, it's no one else but him. From the bench, to see what move he makes -- you're like, 'I wish I could do that.' Sometimes you sit on the bench and just think, 'wow,' and you look over to the other bench and they sit there and shake their heads, too. He has great, great skills. I'm probably not going to play with another player who has the kind of skills he has." Mikael Samuelsson on Pavel Datsyuk

#135 DeGraa55

DeGraa55

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,457 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 12:36 AM

More news: http://www.philly.co...not_happen.html

I'm starting to get scared.

#136 esteef

esteef

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 8,874 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 12:48 AM

Datsyuk is the greatest player in the history of all time.

esteef

"The Wings haven't won a Cup without Darren McCarty since 1955."

#137 GoWings1905

GoWings1905

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 5,225 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 12:53 AM

Cleary is garbage please stop

Solid argument. I have stated many times I don't want Cleary back. I'm just merely defending him from people that made him the scapegoat for everything wrong with the Red Wings.

You bash Cleary at nearly every opportunity. If you don't want him back that's fine, but maybe try considering the context of my argument instead of just pure dismissal.

"To whom much is given, much is expected."

#138 T.Low

T.Low

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,895 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 02:24 AM

Sonnakoto NAI to omou.

lol

Ganbatte yo,  ShanahanMansan!  

#139 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,974 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 03:18 AM

I like how we couldn't sign Lecavalier because, omg, his age and "pace" (serious concerns! Serious concerns!), but we'll move heaven and earth to re-sign...Daniel Cleary.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#140 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,080 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 05:02 AM

Zhen Dao Mei.