• This topic is locked This topic is locked
201 replies to this topic

#161 rrasco

rrasco

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,041 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 09:04 AM

If they had roster and cap space and wanted to sign Cleary, so be it.  If they end up losing people over wanting to bring him back, or someone ends up in GR, that's absurd.

Kronwalled.net - Keep Yer Head up Kid

MONEY ON THE BOARD: $10/Kronwalling (1), $1/goal by: Nyquist, Tatar, Jurco, Sheahan, disney.com (1), Andersson, Dekeyser, Pulkinnen, Ouellet, or Sproul.  2X MULTIPLIER: disney.com.  CONSOLATION PRIZE: $5/goal by: Datsyuk (3), $3/goal by: Z (1). MOTB TOTAL: $30

#162 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,949 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 09:09 AM

Excerpts from Mlive:

Holland said putting someone on injured reserve and signing Cleary is not an option. They would need to trade or waive somebody.

“I like him on the team, the coach wants him back, I know all of the players want him back,'' Holland said. “He’s a leader in the locker room. He’s a good pro. He’s versatile. He can play either wing, up and down the lineup, third, second, first or fourth lines. 

Holland said they met with Cleary Wednesday out of interest and respect.

“He’s meant a lot to our franchise,'' Holland said. “Everybody here believes we’re a better team if he’s on our team, but we have to weigh if we can make it happen.
“At the end of the day it doesn’t matter to me if there are other teams in the mix. I’m trying to do what we can do. If it’s enough great, if it’s not there’s nothing we can do about it. I’ve explained that to his agent and I’ve explained that to Dan.''

http://www.mlive.com...talks_with.html

#163 ShanahanMan

ShanahanMan

DUUUUUUUUH

• Silver Booster
  • 5,673 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 09:13 AM

Excerpts from Mlive:

http://www.mlive.com...talks_with.html

Play on the first or second lines? Is Holland insane?

I HATE JASON WILLIAMS

#164 fat guy in a maltby jersey

fat guy in a maltby jersey

3rd Line Checker

• Restricted
  • PipPip
  • 366 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 09:13 AM

I don't think anyone absolutely, unequivocally hates the idea of Daniel Cleary remaining a Red Wing.

ZiN4oxs.gif

#165 Hatethedrake!

Hatethedrake!

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,496 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 09:14 AM

Possibly less ice for Tatar? Possibly Tatar gets bumped down the depth chart? Not to be a jerk, but it's not a difficult concept.

I think, realistically, it probably wouldn't have a huge impact on Tatar. But to say there'd be no impact at all? At the end of the day, a roster spot is a roster spot. I don't think theoretical lines are quite as important here as one might think (i.e. us thinking, "Well, Tatar's gonna be on the third line, so what's the deal?" doesn't really mean anything). And honestly, I'll be surprised if Tatar doesn't spend a good deal of time on the fourth line, given, well, history.

Ulltimately, I'm not outright opposed to Cleary coming back. But it has to make sense.

Not to be a jerk, but does bringing Cleary back affect Zetterberg and Datsyuk's ice time?  Alfredsson and Franzen?  Weiss?  How does having Cleary on the team over Tootoo, Eaves and Emmerton hurt them?  Cleary playing over Samuelsson and Bertuzzi.  This hurts them how?  Tatar will most likely be playing with Andersson and Nyquist.  So Babs now says 'Cleary is back so now I will not play my 3rd line as much.'  I don't see it.  It makes sense to me.  Babs wants Cleary on this team.  I guess not everyone understand this. 

Jordan Tootoo will wreck shop.

We need someone like Parise that can penetrate the box.-blueadams

#166 rrasco

rrasco

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,041 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 09:20 AM

Not to be a jerk, but does bringing Cleary back affect Zetterberg and Datsyuk's ice time?  Alfredsson and Franzen?  Weiss?  How does having Cleary on the team over Tootoo, Eaves and Emmerton hurt them?  Cleary playing over Samuelsson and Bertuzzi.  This hurts them how?  Tatar will most likely be playing with Andersson and Nyquist.  So Babs now says 'Cleary is back so now I will not play my 3rd line as much.'  I don't see it.  It makes sense to me.  Babs wants Cleary on this team.  I guess not everyone understand this. 

I guess not everyone understands roster limits either.

MONEY ON THE BOARD: $10/Kronwalling (1), $1/goal by: Nyquist, Tatar, Jurco, Sheahan, disney.com (1), Andersson, Dekeyser, Pulkinnen, Ouellet, or Sproul.  2X MULTIPLIER: disney.com.  CONSOLATION PRIZE: $5/goal by: Datsyuk (3), $3/goal by: Z (1). MOTB TOTAL: $30

#167 dobbles

dobbles

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 864 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 09:21 AM

Babs wants Cleary on this team.  I guess not everyone understand this. 

i guess not everyone understands that babcock is human and can make a poor decision regarding the value of a player. just because babcock likes him doesnt mean hes the best option or a good fit for the teams future. can you guys seriously come up with some better material????

if anything, shouldnt everyone be pointing out ad nauseum that 'if cleary was so great and such a playoff warrior he would have been signed by now. obviously ken holland is smarter than all of you'????

I love Maltby, but to say he wasn't a ****** is a dis-service to his career of douchebaggery.

#168 Hatethedrake!

Hatethedrake!

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,496 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 09:24 AM

i guess not everyone understands that babcock is human and can make a poor decision regarding the value of a player. just because babcock likes him doesnt mean hes the best option or a good fit for the teams future. can you guys seriously come up with some better material????

if anything, shouldnt everyone be pointing out ad nauseum that 'if cleary was so great and such a playoff warrior he would have been signed by now. obviously ken holland is smarter than all of you'????

It doesn't really matter.  The Detroit Red Wings are not paying you for your opinion.  They are paying Ken Holland and Mike Babcock.  This material is the actual truth. 

#169 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 09:26 AM

You know what?  I'm happy if Cleary is back with the Wings.

He's not back with the Wings.

Those of you who are panicking should note that the Wings would still need to clear three roster spots and 2.5m of cap space. I doubt it will happen.

Play on the first or second lines? Is Holland insane?

Why is it you've always exaggerated what is said in these articles? Holland said he can play on those lines, not that he necessarily will. If you'd read the article, you'd see that he also said Cleary could play on the third or fourth lines.

#170 ben_usmc

ben_usmc

Kenny Powers Fan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,820 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 09:31 AM

It doesn't really matter.  The Detroit Red Wings are not paying you for your opinion.  They are paying Ken Holland and Mike Babcock.  This material is the actual truth. 

So why even be on this board? I mean we should all just blindly support the Wings and it's not like we have any control over decisions anyway. Whelp it's been fun boys looks like lgw.com is going away

He's not back with the Wings.

Those of you who are panicking should note that the Wings would still need to clear three roster spots and 2.5m of cap space. I doubt it will happen.

Why is it you've always exaggerated what is said in these articles? Holland said he can play on those lines, not that he necessarily will. If you'd read the article, you'd see that he also said Cleary could play on the third or fourth lines.

He shouldn't play on any of the lines, he is pure garbage 

There's no I in team, but there's a U in c***, so don't be little jealous c***s

#171 rrasco

rrasco

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,041 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 09:32 AM

How about this:

And here we go: Per Daniel Cleary "Flying to Traverse. I'm back. Signing tonight." #RedWings
— Helene St. James (@HeleneStJames) September 12, 2013

Dan Cleary said in a text that he is signing with Wings tonight and on his way to Traverse City.

— Ansar Khan (@AnsarKhanMLive) September 12, 2013

#172 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 09:34 AM

How about this:

Gee, thanks for ruining my day.

#173 ben_usmc

ben_usmc

Kenny Powers Fan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,820 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 09:34 AM

I'm going to go ahead and say fire Holland and Babcock. They obviously aren't serious about winning a Stanley Cup.

#174 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 09:35 AM

He shouldn't play on any of the lines, he is pure garbage 

Have you seen me disagree with this?

I'm going to go ahead and say fire Holland and Babcock. They obviously aren't serious about winning a Stanley Cup.

That's a bit harsh. I'm mostly worried about whom he's going to replace.

Hopefully it's a contract that can be buried easily in the minors if need be.

#175 rrasco

rrasco

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,041 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 09:35 AM

Gee, thanks for ruining my day.

If this happens, I'm going straight home to NHL 14 and trading Cleary for Crosby.

#176 ben_usmc

ben_usmc

Kenny Powers Fan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,820 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 09:37 AM

Have you seen me disagree with this?

That's a bit harsh. I'm mostly worried about whom he's going to replace.

Hopefully it's a contract that can be buried easily in the minors if need be.

You know I would normally say that's a bit harsh but I am dead serious. Any GM that feels Cleary is a productive member of a SC team obviously has lost it and should no longer have control, and any coach who would play such a useless player on the top 2 lines or even dress him should no longer be leading a team.  What's next Cleary to play on the Olympic team too? 

#177 GoWings1905

GoWings1905

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 5,292 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 09:38 AM

This is one of the most bizarre signings if Cleary ends up back in Detroit. Are Samuelsson, Bertuzzi and Cleary all really going to members of the team? I thought Holland had a great summer, but this move is a real damper.

"To whom much is given, much is expected."

#178 Jusek

Jusek

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,732 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 09:40 AM

Is this real life? I mean, what the hell?! :blink:

"I consider the Detroit Red Wings one of the greatest franchises in any sport. For a player to come in and play, it's so special to wear the jersey."
-Steve Yzerman

#179 rrasco

rrasco

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,041 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 09:41 AM

head-bang-o.gif

#180 Hatethedrake!

Hatethedrake!

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,496 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 09:42 AM

How about this:

I'm happy if anything just to see the ungrateful Wings fans here implode.  :lol: Welcome back Danny Boy!  :clap: