• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
unsaddleddonald

So....did Cleary just take Tatar's spot?

Rate this topic

This may be true, but given the fact that I heard it on good authority that Tatar blew his nose sideways while standing only on his left foot can reasonably be interpreted to mean that he likes roast beef. Any idiot can see that!

BRB, going to tweet this ASAP YOLO

Edit: pinky swear I'm not drunk

Quality YOLO reference. Wish I could like this more than once.

I want Tatar on this team as much as the next guy, but he's GOT to cut this stuff out: "Tomas Tatar. It's hard not to pretend that all these forwards aren't here."

He's going to defeat himself. I know he's likely frustrated - it's a tough situation to be in, but he has to keep his head on his shoulders until the second they say, "there's no room for you here, we're going to have to move you to another team." He simply cannot have this attitude, or he's only going to take himself off the team before the season starts.

Again, grain of salt here but...

The same Wings beat writer who told me last night that Cleary had verbally agreed to come back (and was actually spot on) just told me that right now the talk in management is that Sammy will 99% start the season in the lineup, Nyquist will be sent down, and the guys they are aiming to waive/move are Tatar, Tootoo and Eaves....

Well, your beat writer is full of it, at least where Tatar is concerned:

And Kenny saying on record in an interview that he likes both Nyquist & Tatar and expects them to be on the team is in no way a 100% guarantee that he wouldn't put Nyquist in GR for the season or trade Tatar if that's what he had to do to get cap/roster compliant. It would be foolish to assume that 100% of what comes out of Ken Holland's mouth is gospel & immediately dismiss anything that conflicts with it. In fact, it would be organizational suicide if people could count on everything Kenny says on the record in the media. To outright dismiss a potential source saying that he's "full of it" based on your opinion glommed from an interview with Kenny you read seems a bit naive or over emotional (take your pick) based on current evidence, or do you have a better source within the organization that's guaranteed he's not being discussed that you haven't shared with us?

It is entirely within the realm of possibility that the Wings would trade Tatar if the circumstances dictated it in my opinion. In fact, I personally think that pretty much any player slotted for a spot in the bottom 6 or is waiver exempt like DeKeyser is being considered as a solution to the cap/roster issue. Given the circumstances as they exist now, the most tradeable bottom 6 assets that Kenny has that he might be willing to part with are Tatar, Eaves, Tootoo, & I would add Miller into that mix personally, even though he was just extended. So if we know that the organization is looking at a combination of trades, waivers, & IR to take care of their roster crunch, it really is only logical to assume that Tatar, among others, is in play as far as I'm concerned.

@georgemalik: FTR: avoided Tatar interview, pulled him aside, told him 1,000's are rooting 4 him/feel he got screwed/want him to succeed HERE.

@georgemalik: Not a big whoop but Tatar did genuinely appreciate the comment. I thought he needed to know that YOU are on his side. Now he knows.

@Trto90: Thanks to all fans for great support. You guys are great. #camp #detriot #bigpush #justdoit

Edit to add:

@DetroitRedWings: "I love it here...this is the team I want to make" - Tomas Tatar #ATTExtendedCoverage

@DetroitRedWings: "I want to put my best foot forward and do everything I can to make the team" - Tomas Tatar #ATTExtendedCoverage

Edited by BottleOfSmoke

Way to be Malik. He's got numerous amounts of support from us. We WANT Tatar on our team. I would be floored if he got moved.

Tatar brings a different dimension than what we have. A true goal-scorer. He's better than Damien Brunner. He's more effective at the NHL level than Brunner. He's just got that sense in him. He drives towards the puck. It's one of the best qualities I find of him. He just wants the frickin puck. If he's got eyes on it, he's gunning for it. As towards his attitude, like others have stated, he's just young. If you follow him on Twitter or have seen videos of him; he's like a little frat euro-boy. As for his cocky-ness/confidence; goal-scorers need that. Some are more humble than others, but you need that sense of confidence if you're going to keep potting em in the back of the net.

I can't believe some are calling for Hollands head without any actual source for it. Holland was going to match any single offer-sheet that was going to come Nyquist's way. He's talked how Nyquist and Tatar should both be on the roster this upcoming season. How they were influential on this previous season.

Guest Playmaker

Well, your beat writer is full of it, at least where Tatar is concerned:

Wasn't it Ken Holland who said they couldn't match Philly's offer and that Cleary was gone? So, I'm not going to take everything Ken Holland says to the media as gospel.

Sarah runs The Left Wing Lock.

I'd be on board with you, harold, I mean with the whole of-course-management-is-going-to-do-the-right-thing-re:-Tatar, if this were the first time we're crossing this bridge. But, by this point, it's become another one of those classic Holland things...

We like our team. Kicked the tires. Over-ripen/Tatar needs time. Etc.

Don't get me wrong, I'm definitely frustrated by Holland's over-ripe philosophy. The Wings succeeded last season in spite of Holland's philosophy, not because of it. All the injuries allowed the kids to play.

To clarify, I was mainly referring to speculation on Tatar's attitude and Holland deciding on 5 games. I'm not saying management will necessarily do the right thing and give the kid a chance. I just meant that their decision will be based on more than the next few games.

Guest Crymson

Don't get me wrong, I'm definitely frustrated by Holland's over-ripe philosophy. The Wings succeeded last season in spite of Holland's philosophy, not because of it. All the injuries allowed the kids to play.

Agreed, and its irritating in the extreme to see him spit in the face of that revelation.

That said, I'm going to go on faith that he'll make the right decision. There's really nothing else I can do, save diving headfirst into dread. *shrug*

I am very pissed about the Cleary signing too because I love Tatar and really don't want to see him go anywhere else.

Word around camp is that this was "a Babcock thing" to make sure Cleary was here. Don't know if it was more about locker room presence or what. Just irks the hell out of me either way.

Plus, getting to see Tatar today in person, and having spoken to him a few times, he's just a really great kid who has a lot of potential.

We like our team. Kicked the tires. Over-ripen/Tatar needs time. Etc.

Tatar totally needs more time! I mean yea, sure he won mvp in the AHL.. big whoop. He totally could've won it by a more decisive margin.. slacker.

/sarcasm :P

Really tho, he definitely has support from any fan I've talked to. Can't wait to see this guy up full time.. he's way overdue.

Guest Crymson

I am very pissed about the Cleary signing too because I love Tatar and really don't want to see him go anywhere else.

Word around camp is that this was "a Babcock thing" to make sure Cleary was here. Don't know if it was more about locker room presence or what. Just irks the hell out of me either way.

Plus, getting to see Tatar today in person, and having spoken to him a few times, he's just a really great kid who has a lot of potential.

Word around everywhere is that Babcock, Holland, and the players all wanted him back.

Feels like everytime the Wings have a chance to get younger, they take steps back. I don't mind the Alfredsson signing, despite his age, but keeping Cleary, Bertuzzi and Samuelsson is a continuation of the previous era, where guys were kept longer than they should have.

Our best players are veterans, so it's not like there's a danger of cutting bait with the above mentioned vets. I just hate to see cap space being wasted on an injured Bertuzzi/Samuelsson for another season.

Tatar with the first goal in today's scrimmage between Team Lindsay & Team Delvecchio. Evidently a beauty of a goal too.

I think he should have had two already, waive him and let someone else pick up our garbage, that way we have room for sammy, bert, and cleary

I've not hidden the fact that I think Tatar's kind of a ******. That being said, I really want him to get the chance to prove me and any other haters wrong. The quotes from the past couple days kind of softened me on him, I don't think he's as arrogant as he comes across, and I think that some of that bluster is overcompensation for what we saw yesterday to be real doubt in his mind that he can earn a spot. That was far more refreshing to hear than threats of bolting somewhere else if he doesn't make the big show. Then to turn around and focus on putting up and (hopefully) shutting up is nice to see. I think with some maturity I could grow to like this guy. Just hope he gets the shot. We'll see...

I've not hidden the fact that I think Tatar's kind of a ******. That being said, I really want him to get the chance to prove me and any other haters wrong. The quotes from the past couple days kind of softened me on him, I don't think he's as arrogant as he comes across, and I think that some of that bluster is overcompensation for what we saw yesterday to be real doubt in his mind that he can earn a spot. That was far more refreshing to hear than threats of bolting somewhere else if he doesn't make the big show. Then to turn around and focus on putting up and (hopefully) shutting up is nice to see. I think with some maturity I could grow to like this guy. Just hope he gets the shot. We'll see...

I am not defending him saying he will leave if he doesn't play for Detroit this year, but I think some of it can be attributed to the language barrier. I see it as him being more upfront and honest, which is very respectable in most of Europe, and not mincing words, and not so much being arrogant and full of himself, he also doesn't speak the best english so he gets straight to the point. I feel like I have proved myself, and I deserve a spot on the roster, however if they do not feel that way clearly there is nothing left for me here and I should go play in Switzerland or wherever, could be the message he is trying to convey, but it comes across more like, I am ready, earned spot, score goals, no play in nhl this year, I go back home.

Word around everywhere is that Babcock, Holland, and the players all wanted him back.

They all wanted Lidstrom back, and Yzerman. Sentimentality is wonderful, but, sometimes it ends with Cleary being a Red Wing years after he's become an ineffective player.

Like the players are going to say otherwise? Who's going to say we don't want him back if asked, especially in front of the media.

Exactly, furthermore, we don't know what's motivating them. For all we know, they could just really want their buddy on the team. Everyone involved within the organization that has spoken in favor of cleary is pretty secure in his job and has a cup(s). I know, people are going to come at me saying "these guys are professional competitors, blah blah blah". I know this, but they're also human. It may not be a conscious decision, I'm not saying they don't care about winning. I'm just saying they may be a bit complacent. Such complacency, coupled with friendship and loyalty, can severely cloud someone's judgment and cause them to overvalue someone like cleary. Of course, this is all speculation on my part, but it's no different than others insisting that the players are correct to want cleary on the team.

This may be way off, but his "attitude" may partially stem from the fact that he's 5'9. And that's what he's listed at, so he's really 5'7 or 5'8. Shorter hockey players always have to do a little more proving, at every level, and it can harden a guy, put a chip on his shoulder. Add to that the fact that he's European, which, of course, means he's an extremely soft player (sarcasm), and you can have an individual who's maybe a little angry at the world to begin with. Then he spends four years - four years - in the stage (AHL) right before the one that's spelled "true success" (NHL). And he proves himself as much as he can. And you can fill in the rest. (And there's a language barrier. And...)

Also, because he's still a kid, he's still very much a work in progress. Now, that isn't to say that all players aren't works in progress. They are. Even the old ones. But you know what I mean. Point is, given where Tatar is at in terms of his overall development (the AHL can barely contain him; he's sick, in a very good way), sticking him in Grand Rapids for a fifth straight year, or even forcing him to split time between the big club and the small club (and you know he would/will be getting about four seconds a night under Babs) just isn't fair to him and would almost certainly be detrimental to his development. This worries me because any time a player finds himself in this kind of a position, the odds are good he's gonna be traded.

I'm kind of rambling, but one last thing: I really like that he said this is the team he wants to play for. You might think every prospect says that about his respective NHL club, but, really, that's not the case. I think generally you get a lot of "Y'know, whatever Mr. So and So thinks is best, that's what I'll do. I love this organization, but I don't really have a big say in the matter, so I don't see a point in worrying about it." So, to me at least, it's refreshing to hear (read) someone say, "This is where I want to be. I'm pissed/worried/whatever because I want to be HERE."

DANIEL CLEARY HATES KIDS. AND PUPPIES.

Edited by Dabura

Good news!!! Thanks for the link. This means Holland must have a plan.

With Nyquist and Andersson being fixtures on "line 3" with Sammy and Bert both rotating through that line in Inter-squad games and scrimmages, you have to think that Goose is safe from GRs demotion.

Zetterberg

Datsyuk

Weiss

Alfredsson

Franzen

Abdlekader

Cleary

Nyquist

Andersson

Tatar

Miller

Bertuzzi

Those 12 are locks.

+ Helm when healthy = 13

Samuelson

Emmerton

Eaves

Tootoo

will duke it out for the 14th spot, unless there are injuries.

Which is pretty much what everyone's been saying all along.