• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
unsaddleddonald

So....did Cleary just take Tatar's spot?

Rate this topic

Good news!!! Thanks for the link. This means Holland must have a plan.

With Nyquist and Andersson being fixtures on "line 3" with Sammy and Bert both rotating through that line in Inter-squad games and scrimmages, you have to think that Goose is safe from GRs demotion.

Zetterberg

Datsyuk

Weiss

Alfredsson

Franzen

Abdlekader

Cleary

Nyquist

Andersson

Tatar

Miller

Bertuzzi

Those 12 are locks.

+ Helm when healthy = 13

Samuelson

Emmerton

Eaves

Tootoo

will duke it out for the 14th spot, unless there are injuries.

Which is pretty much what everyone's been saying all along.

Nyquist will be a Griffin unless multiple players are traded

Nyquist will be a Griffin unless multiple players are traded

Exactly, at least for the short term I see Gus being in GR. Helm on IR and it's one of Eaves, Tootoo, Sammy or Bert that get cut. If they can move two then great but think one is more realistic and would see Gus play a little more AHL than needed.

Exactly, at least for the short term I see Gus being in GR. Helm on IR and it's one of Eaves, Tootoo, Sammy or Bert that get cut. If they can move two then great but think one is more realistic and would see Gus play a little more AHL than needed.

Bert and Sammy have NTCs so they won't be moved

Guest Crymson

Helene St. James @HeleneStJames 3m

Ken Holland: "Tomas Tatar will be one of 14 forwards left standing." #RedWings

George Malik @georgemalik 17s

Hey @Trto90 I asked Ken Holland about you. He says you are an exciting young player and you WILL be one of the 14 forwards ON THE RED WINGS.

PRAISE THE HOCKEY GODS!. My trepidation is now gone.

Guest Crymson

What? Ken Holland said Tatar will be on the team in spite of what all the doomsday prophets around here said was going to happen? Anybody willing to eat a little crow publicly or no?

I'm going to go with "no."

To be fair, Holland telling Malik something isn't really 100% confirmation and words written in stone.

Has he said this publicly? Holland I mean. Or - not to slight Malik, but - has he said this to any "big names" in the media? I don't mean "Well certainly the expectation is..." I mean that Tatar WILL be one of the 14 forwards.

Genuinely curious. Not because I wanna be all like HAAA SEE THERE WHAT DID I TELL YOU, HOLLAND'S A DIRTY LIARRRRR or whatever. I just really want Tatar to get his piece of whatever that thing is Babs is always talking about. (Pie? Cheese? Pizza?)

(I'm behind on the news. Normally I'd be on top of this. So, apologies if I'm coming off as, like, a total 9/15/2013 n00b.)

Edited by Dabura

Helene St. James ‏@HeleneStJames 3m

Ken Holland: "Tomas Tatar will be one of 14 forwards left standing." #RedWings

George Malik ‏@georgemalik 17s

Hey @Trto90 I asked Ken Holland about you. He says you are an exciting young player and you WILL be one of the 14 forwards ON THE RED WINGS.

Great to hear. Hopefully those who jumped down my throat for me laughing at the idea that Tatar could be traded have read this as well.

What? Ken Holland said Tatar will be on the team in spite of what all the doomsday prophets around here said was going to happen? Anybody willing to eat a little crow publicly or no?

They won't eat crow. They told me to "chill my attitude" because I thought it was hilarious that people thought there was a chance he'd be moved.

To be fair, Holland telling Malik something isn't really 100% confirmation and words written in stone.

Has he said this publicly? Holland I mean. Or - not to slight Malik, but - has he said this to any "big names" in the media? I don't mean "Well certainly the expectation is..." I mean that Tatar WILL be one of the 14 forwards.

Genuinely curious. Not because I wanna be all like HAAA SEE THERE WHAT DID I TELL YOU, HOLLAND'S A DIRTY LIARRRRR or whatever. I just really want Tatar to get his piece of whatever that thing is Babs is always talking about. (Pie? Cheese? Pizza?)

(I'm behind on the news. Normally I'd be on top of this. So, apologies if I'm coming off as, like, a total 9/15/2003 n00b.)

From NBC Sports though it looks like they're pointing to St James' tweet as the source of their article: http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2013/09/15/wings-gm-tomas-tatar-will-be-one-of-14-forwards-left-standing/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Personally, I'm cynical enough to not consider this to be 100% true until the Wings are officially down to 14 forwards.

Pretty cool to read. I'm not entirely sure how I feel about Malik tweeting Tatar that he's going to be on the team. I don't think "unprofessional" is the word I'm looking for here, but there's just something kind if weird about it. I mean, Tatar has been a bit confused, but you'd think he knows more than a local blogger. It's kind of like saying, "Hey man, your girlfriend is going to say 'yes' to your proposal." I dunno - good to read, either way.

As far as eating crow, I'll admit I overreacted at the beginning, but it's also completely logical to assume that he could have been one of the guys to move. When you compare the guys on the bubble, he's one of the few with any trade value. Bert and Sammy don't have much value to other teams, and would likely enforce their NTCs. Emmerton has value as a center (with Helm out) and most of us would like to see Gus in Detroit, not GR. That leaves Eaves and Tootoo, who may not have much value to other teams (but at least one of them is going to have to move - perhaps both once Helm returns).

My best guess is Helm on LTIR, Gus in GR and Tootoo is moved... then maybe Eaves once Helm returns down the road. Going to be interesting if/when injury issues arise and they want to call Gus up. He's only got two games in the NHL before his waiver eligibility runs out.

Edited by Jesusberg

Pretty cool to read. I'm not entirely sure how I feel about Malik tweeting Tatar that he's going to be on the team. I don't think "unprofessional" is the word I'm looking for here, but there's just something kind if weird about it. I mean, Tatar has been a bit confused, but you'd think he knows more than a local blogger. It's kind of like saying, "Hey man, your girlfriend is going to say 'yes' to your proposal." I dunno - good to read, either way.

If Holland actually said those exact words to reporters, I have to believe he's told Tatar that in person. Maybe he had a talk with him to calm him down after this Cleary business.

@HeleneStJames: Ken Holland: "Tomas Tatar will be one of 14 forwards left standing." #RedWings

OK, fair enough.

But why sign a guy we don't need and add unnecessary cap space?

I for one will not eat crow until Daniel Cleary wins the Conn Smythe trophy.

OK, fair enough.

But why sign a guy we don't need and add unnecessary cap space?

I for one will not eat crow until Daniel Cleary wins the Conn Smythe trophy.

Haha, I'd imagine even if we caught you slow roasting a crow with stuffing and potatoes in the oven you'd still try to find a way around it. I suppose it's part of your charm.

Guest Crymson

I'm hoping against hope that Cleary will return to 2010-2011 Cleary form, or perhaps even 2009 playoffs Cleary form.

I imagine he'll be old and slow and injured for much of the regular season, and the object of much ire on LGW. Then the playoffs will come and he'll be one of our best players. Again.

I don't want to be That Guy, but the fact that Holland's saying "I like Tatar. I think he's a great player. Certainly the expectation is he'll be one of the 14" doesn't necessarily mean he's going to be one of the 14. Same idea with Babs saying, "The best players will play. It's always been that way as long as I've been here." It doesn't necessarily mean the best players will play, and that contracts and salaries and "veteran presence" have no bearing. (It doesn't necessarily mean "it's always been that way" either.) Samulesson will get a spot, etc.

It's kind of admirable that, even in this day and age, people can think a person's word is golden, written in stone, without calculation, entirely open and honest and truthful. I honestly don't mean that in a negative way.

[/prick]

Edited by Dabura

So I was thinking.

What if Babs wants Cleary and Tatar Tots on the same team? What if that's his Evil (Secret) Master Plan? Y'know, lighting a competitive fire under Tatar, and maybe even Cleary, to squeeze maximum outputage from him/them.

AAAUUGGHH MY EYES! THE BRILLIANCE IS BLINDING!

Or maybe I'm giving too much credit, or reading too deeply into this.

Edited by Dabura

So I was thinking.

What if Babs wants Cleary and Tatar Tots on the same team? What if that's his Evil (Secret) Master Plan? Y'know, lighting a competitive fire under Tatar, and maybe even Cleary, to squeeze maximum outputage from him/them.

I thought that was pretty clear straight from the jump? Cleary wasn't re-signed at the expense of Tatar, no matter what the pessimistic half of LGW thinks. At 1.75 million, Cleary can be stuck on the fourth line if necessary...and in spite of what anybody says, Cleary is a MUCH better bottom six option than what we've had in the past, or what other teams have in the present.

I thought that was pretty clear straight from the jump? Cleary wasn't re-signed at the expense of Tatar, no matter what the pessimistic half of LGW thinks. At 1.75 million, Cleary can be stuck on the fourth line if necessary...and in spite of what anybody says, Cleary is a MUCH better bottom six option than what we've had in the past, or what other teams have in the present.

This. Cleary isn't our best top-six option, at least if he plays like he did last year. But he still brings more to the team than several of our bottom line guys. Holland saw an opportunity to bump the least worthwhile forward off the team in favor of Cleary. Someone like Tootoo, Eaves, or Emmerton.

So I was thinking.

LOL, spare me. EVERY Detroit media outlet was writing about it. For you to never consider the possibility is laughable.

My impression is the "competitive fire" angle that everyone and his mom has touched on relates mostly to the here and now, i.e. training camp, the preseason, and, ultimately, the question of who will make the team (and who won't). What I'm saying is, what if it doesn't end there? What if Babs is planning on both of them being on the team, and the competition thing (whatever you want to call it) being another instrument to play?

I haven't slept in, like, forever, so it's entirely possible that I am in fact coming off like a dope in saying the above.