• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
unsaddleddonald

So....did Cleary just take Tatar's spot?

Rate this topic

Guest Crymson

This. Cleary isn't our best top-six option, at least if he plays like he did last year. But he still brings more to the team than several of our bottom line guys. Holland saw an opportunity to bump the least worthwhile forward off the team in favor of Cleary. Someone like Tootoo, Eaves, or Emmerton.

Eaves, with his speed, grit, and right-handed shot, not to mention his fully functional body (something that Cleary lacks), is much more valuable than Cleary is.

As last season proved.

I just hope that there's enough value for another team to want to either trade for or claim an Eaves or Tootoo on waivers, let alone a Bert or Sammy if they waive their NTCs, to get their salaries completely off the books. Kenny won't be facing a huge problem from a salary cap standpoint to start the season if Helm is on IR as that hit coming off puts the Wings only ~$200k above the cap & all he has to do is move two bodies. Once Helm's back though, there's no combination of waiving three players which includes Emmerton (which I think is a valid assumption) where the two non-Emmerton players go unclaimed that works due to the new Wade Redden & 35+ contract rules. They have to move a salary completely off the books in that case or they're leaving Emmerton on the big club & sending 3 non-35+ players to GR to be cap compliant. So Kenny needs to find a trading partner before Helm gets back, cross his fingers that another GM puts in a waiver claim when sending someone down (paging Garth Snow, paging Mr. Snow), or possibly the fans in GR get to see a combination of three from Eaves/Tootoo/Miller/Nyquist play in person for the bulk of the season. Kenny's gonna have to live up to his reputation of being the best in the business once Helm gets healthy, assuming he does.

LOL, spare me. EVERY Detroit media outlet was writing about it. For you to never consider the possibility is laughable.

It's obvious Kenny and babs wanted dano back so they could have beers and shoot the breeze with him after work and reminisce with Sammy about cups won in the past. For you to not see that is laughable :)

I just hope that there's enough value for another team to want to either trade for or claim an Eaves or Tootoo on waivers, let alone a Bert or Sammy if they waive their NTCs, to get their salaries completely off the books. Kenny won't be facing a huge problem from a salary cap standpoint to start the season if Helm is on IR as that hit coming off puts the Wings only ~$200k above the cap & all he has to do is move two bodies. Once Helm's back though, there's no combination of waiving three players which includes Emmerton (which I think is a valid assumption) where the two non-Emmerton players go unclaimed that works due to the new Wade Redden & 35+ contract rules. They have to move a salary completely off the books in that case or they're leaving Emmerton on the big club & sending 3 non-35+ players to GR to be cap compliant. So Kenny needs to find a trading partner before Helm gets back, cross his fingers that another GM puts in a waiver claim when sending someone down (paging Garth Snow, paging Mr. Snow), or possibly the fans in GR get to see a combination of three from Eaves/Tootoo/Miller/Nyquist play in person for the bulk of the season. Kenny's gonna have to live up to his reputation of being the best in the business once Helm gets healthy, assuming he does.

Goose only has to play 2 nhl games before he is no longer waiver exempt. So either he plays all year for Detroit or the Griffins, there's no either or.

I don't understand the how people have turned on Eaves. He was away from hockey for over a year with cuncussion problems and battled back. Then last year, the guy played well and I thought he really start to look like he did before the injury by the end of the year. He's got heart and I think it would be a big mistake if he's the odd man out this year as have predicted.

I'm not sure whether you are serious or not.... so I'll go ahead and ask... how did last season prove that Eaves is 'much more valuable than Cleary is'?

I was being sarcastic. Cleary is obviously much better than Eaves. And that's coming from a HUGE Eaves fan.

I don't understand the how people have turned on Eaves. He was away from hockey for over a year with cuncussion problems and battled back. Then last year, the guy played well and I thought he really start to look like he did before the injury by the end of the year. He's got heart and I think it would be a big mistake if he's the odd man out this year as have predicted.

It's really no knock on Eaves. Eaves is a good player. But he's very close to the same type of player as Miller and the Wings just re-signed Miller, so you have to assume that he's in the plans for the foreseeable future. I love Eaves and have for a while, he does all the gritty stuff that is super important and nobody cares about (pk, shot blocking, etc. etc.). But so does Miller and he's been re-signed recently so I imagine the management likes him more. Too bad for Eaves, he's a stud, but he'll land on his feet.

Guest Crymson

I'm not sure whether you are serious or not.... so I'll go ahead and ask... how did last season prove that Eaves is 'much more valuable than Cleary is'?

During the playoffs, Eaves was playing excellent defense, grinding hard, and creating scoring chances. Cleary was falling down, skating slowly, and falling down more.

During the playoffs, Eaves was playing excellent defense, grinding hard, and creating scoring chances. Cleary was falling down, skating slowly, and falling down more.

I hate cleary as much as the next guy, but despite his obvious lack of legs, Cleary got 4 goals and 10 points in 14 post season games, and 9 goals 15 points in 48 regular season games, while eaves got 1 goal and 3 points in 13 post season games and 2 goals and 8 points in 34 regular season games.

I don't care how he got his points, goals are goals dirty or not. I hate Cleary cause he is like a rusty de-railed train, but I love how everyone loved homer, and most of homers goals were very reminiscent of clearys goals all year, and everyone gives him slack for how he scored them. That being said I wish we never re-signed cleary

All of Eaves excellent playing didn't amount to much though, which is typical for a fourth liner. Cleary, regardless of how many times he fell or how slowly he was skating, still managed to put up solid numbers in the playoffs, and as per his entire tenure with Detroit, better numbers than Eaves.

Eaves is an effective fourth liner, and I really enjoy having him on the team. That I think everyone can agree on.

Cleary has been a less than stellar top-9 player, and I would even agree that he was a poor option for the top-six last year.

But we're still comparing a career fourth-liner to someone who has had success regardless of where he's placed in the lineup, and who he's playing against. Even if he's doing his job poorly, Cleary still brings more upside to the team than Eaves, or any 4th liner.

sorry to be a spoil sport for all the naysayers...

http://www.mlive.com/redwings/index.ssf/2013/09/red_wings_patrick_eaves_lower.html

Tatar has been one of the team's better players in training camp. Holland said Tatar, who is out of AHL options, probably will make the final cut. Tatar isn't satisfied with just being one of the 14 forwards on the roster, he wants to play on a top-two line.

If you put Eaves on a line with Datsyuk or Zetterberg, and on the power play, and had him stand in front of the net and had pucks glance off him. or touch the puck before one of them scored, he would have more points than Cleary.

Edited by AtomicPunk

No, he didn't take Tatar's spot. Gosh, you guys are all overreacting.

*deletes previous posts*

Seriously though, good to see him getting some top six time. Would have really preferred to see him play with Mule, but maybe Weiss can set him up for a goal or two. Hoping he does well tonight.

Edited by Jesusberg

If you put Eaves on a line with Datsyuk or Zetterberg, and on the power play, and had him stand in front of the net and had pucks glance off him. or touch the puck before one of them scored, he would have more points than Cleary.

With his luck with injuries, and Alfredsson's shot? Cringe City, IMHO. I'd rather see Miller get a look.

Guest Crymson

Wasn't the case closed the other day when he said the exact same thing?

There were still numerous people saying that Tatar was only "probably" going to be on the team.

On the team is a nice start, but that could mean healthy scratch or six minutes per game on the 4th line with Cory Emmerton.

Tatar and Nyquist both are too good not to have roles that are probably otherwise going to be filled by the likes of Samuelsson, Cleary and Bertuzzi.

The preference for old guys is more Holland than Babcock.

And in today's Cleary news, he's back to wearing #71 for the whole season. He had discussed switching to 15, as the kids at his hockey school had voted for that number, but now he's changing his tune. Stay tuned for more of the "Dan Cleary is the center of the Universe" show after these messages from your local sponsors.

Guest ForzaVerde

And in today's Cleary news, he's back to wearing #71 for the whole season. He had discussed switching to 15, as the kids at his hockey school had voted for that number, but now he's changing his tune. Stay tuned for more of the "Dan Cleary is the center of the Universe" show after these messages from your local sponsors.

Puck has agreed to make a comeback and do a season as Dan Cleary's roommate on Real World Detroit.

Yeah....Cleary took Tat's 3rd line minutes. And Bertuzzi is in the way of Nyquist playing on the other wing.

http://www.freep.com/comments/article/20131001/SPORTS05/310010027/detroit-red-wings-tomas-tatar

"...tie goes to the veteran, not the kid. That's just life."

No, Mike, that's just you....

It's clear, he and Kenny read our posts, and they hate us.

Don't see how Tatar didn't earn a chance to be slotted in opening night. Busted his ass the past 4 seasons and even rocked out training camp and preseason. Everything the management throws at this kid he just takes it and keeps pushing. I can see how 'veterans' play until they screw up but my lord, what does this kid need to do for Babs to see him as the lethal threat he is?