Photo
- - - - -

So....did Cleary just take Tatar's spot?

• Please log in to reply
226 replies to this topic

#121 The Greek

The Greek

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 399 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 12:46 PM

Like the players are going to say otherwise?  Who's going to say we don't want him back if asked, especially in front of the media.

Exactly, furthermore, we don't know what's motivating them. For all we know, they could just really want their buddy on the team. Everyone involved within the organization that has spoken in favor of cleary is pretty secure in his job and has a cup(s). I know, people are going to come at me saying "these guys are professional competitors, blah blah blah". I know this, but they're also human. It may not be a conscious decision, I'm not saying they don't care about winning. I'm just saying they may be a bit complacent. Such complacency, coupled with friendship and loyalty, can severely cloud someone's judgment and cause them to overvalue someone like cleary. Of course, this is all speculation on my part, but it's no different than others insisting that the players are correct to want cleary on the team.

#122 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,094 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 01:01 PM

This may be way off, but his "attitude" may partially stem from the fact that he's 5'9. And that's what he's listed at, so he's really 5'7 or 5'8. Shorter hockey players always have to do a little more proving, at every level, and it can harden a guy, put a chip on his shoulder. Add to that the fact that he's European, which, of course, means he's an extremely soft player (sarcasm), and you can have an individual who's maybe a little angry at the world to begin with. Then he spends four years - four years - in the stage (AHL) right before the one that's spelled "true success" (NHL). And he proves himself as much as he can. And you can fill in the rest. (And there's a language barrier. And...)

Also, because he's still a kid, he's still very much a work in progress. Now, that isn't to say that all players aren't works in progress. They are. Even the old ones. But you know what I mean. Point is, given where Tatar is at in terms of his overall development (the AHL can barely contain him; he's sick, in a very good way), sticking him in Grand Rapids for a fifth straight year, or even forcing him to split time between the big club and the small club (and you know he would/will be getting about four seconds a night under Babs) just isn't fair to him and would almost certainly be detrimental to his development. This worries me because any time a player finds himself in this kind of a position, the odds are good he's gonna be traded.

I'm kind of rambling, but one last thing: I really like that he said this is the team he wants to play for. You might think every prospect says that about his respective NHL club, but, really, that's not the case. I think generally you get a lot of "Y'know, whatever Mr. So and So thinks is best, that's what I'll do. I love this organization, but I don't really have a big say in the matter, so I don't see a point in worrying about it." So, to me at least, it's refreshing to hear (read) someone say, "This is where I want to be. I'm pissed/worried/whatever because I want to be HERE."

DANIEL CLEARY HATES KIDS. AND PUPPIES.

Edited by Dabura, 14 September 2013 - 01:11 PM.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#123 beachwing

beachwing

Reader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,253 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 01:30 PM

Glad to see Danny D hit the gym this summer....caught a pic of him on twitter and he has definitely put on some pounds!

Edited by beachwing, 14 September 2013 - 01:36 PM.

#124 BottleOfSmoke

BottleOfSmoke

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,134 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 12:35 PM

@HeleneStJames: Ken Holland: "Tomas Tatar will be one of 14 forwards left standing." #RedWings

LGWsig_zpsa75c5d1e.jpg

#125 redwings8831

redwings8831

redwings8831

• PipPip
  • 272 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 12:35 PM

Helene St. James @HeleneStJames 3m

Ken Holland: "Tomas Tatar will be one of 14 forwards left standing." #RedWings

George Malik @georgemalik 17s

Hey @Trto90 I asked Ken Holland about you. He says you are an exciting young player and you WILL be one of the 14 forwards ON THE RED WINGS.

#126 rick zombo

rick zombo

Grit

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,138 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 12:59 PM

Good news!!! Thanks for the link. This means Holland must have a plan.

With Nyquist and Andersson being fixtures on "line 3" with Sammy and Bert both rotating through that line in Inter-squad games and scrimmages, you have to think that Goose is safe from GRs demotion.

Zetterberg
Datsyuk
Weiss
Alfredsson
Franzen
Abdlekader
Cleary
Nyquist
Andersson
Tatar
Miller
Bertuzzi

Those 12 are locks.

+ Helm when healthy = 13

Samuelson
Emmerton
Eaves
Tootoo

will duke it out for the 14th spot, unless there are injuries.

Which is pretty much what everyone's been saying all along.
"In Detroit, every day is a good day to win"

#127 number9

number9

All The Best Players Wear A 9

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,687 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 01:15 PM

Good news!!! Thanks for the link. This means Holland must have a plan.

With Nyquist and Andersson being fixtures on "line 3" with Sammy and Bert both rotating through that line in Inter-squad games and scrimmages, you have to think that Goose is safe from GRs demotion.

Zetterberg
Datsyuk
Weiss
Alfredsson
Franzen
Abdlekader
Cleary
Nyquist
Andersson
Tatar
Miller
Bertuzzi

Those 12 are locks.

+ Helm when healthy = 13

Samuelson
Emmerton
Eaves
Tootoo

will duke it out for the 14th spot, unless there are injuries.

Which is pretty much what everyone's been saying all along.

Nyquist will be a Griffin unless multiple players are traded

#128 kipwinger

kipwinger

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,972 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 01:22 PM

What?  Ken Holland said Tatar will be on the team in spite of what all the doomsday prophets around here said was going to happen?  Anybody willing to eat a little crow publicly or no?

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

Get off the high horse.  Not like she was 10."

"Some girls are 17 even though they look 25."

#129 FifeHockeyNut

FifeHockeyNut

Rookie

• Pip
  • 157 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 01:23 PM

Nyquist will be a Griffin unless multiple players are traded

Exactly, at least for the short term I see Gus being in GR. Helm on IR and it's one of Eaves, Tootoo, Sammy or Bert that get cut. If they can move two then great but think one is more realistic and would see Gus play a little more AHL than needed.

#130 number9

number9

All The Best Players Wear A 9

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,687 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 01:43 PM

Exactly, at least for the short term I see Gus being in GR. Helm on IR and it's one of Eaves, Tootoo, Sammy or Bert that get cut. If they can move two then great but think one is more realistic and would see Gus play a little more AHL than needed.

Bert and Sammy have NTCs so they won't be moved

#131 FifeHockeyNut

FifeHockeyNut

Rookie

• Pip
  • 157 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 01:46 PM

Bert and Sammy have NTCs so they won't be moved

That was a bit more wishful thinking on my part, Eaves or Tootoo are the two that will likely be moved.

#132 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 01:47 PM

Helene St. James @HeleneStJames 3m

George Malik @georgemalik 17s

Hey @Trto90 I asked Ken Holland about you. He says you are an exciting young player and you WILL be one of the 14 forwards ON THE RED WINGS.

PRAISE THE HOCKEY GODS!. My trepidation is now gone.

#133 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,094 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 01:50 PM

oh

Edited by Dabura, 15 September 2013 - 01:57 PM.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#134 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 01:58 PM

What?  Ken Holland said Tatar will be on the team in spite of what all the doomsday prophets around here said was going to happen?  Anybody willing to eat a little crow publicly or no?

I'm going to go with "no."

#135 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,094 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 02:02 PM

To be fair, Holland telling Malik something isn't really 100% confirmation and words written in stone.

Has he said this publicly? Holland I mean. Or - not to slight Malik, but - has he said this to any "big names" in the media? I don't mean "Well certainly the expectation is..." I mean that Tatar WILL be one of the 14 forwards.

Genuinely curious. Not because I wanna be all like HAAA SEE THERE WHAT DID I TELL YOU, HOLLAND'S A DIRTY LIARRRRR or whatever. I just really want Tatar to get his piece of whatever that thing is Babs is always talking about. (Pie? Cheese? Pizza?)

(I'm behind on the news. Normally I'd be on top of this. So, apologies if I'm coming off as, like, a total 9/15/2013 n00b.)

Edited by Dabura, 15 September 2013 - 02:23 PM.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#136 marcaractac

marcaractac

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,340 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 02:20 PM

Helene St. James ‏@HeleneStJames 3m

George Malik ‏@georgemalik 17s

Great to hear. Hopefully those who jumped down my throat for me laughing at the idea that Tatar could be traded have read this as well.

They won't eat crow. They told me to "chill my attitude" because I thought it was hilarious that people thought there was a chance he'd be moved.

#137 ogreslayer

ogreslayer

1st Line All-Star

• HoF Booster
  • 1,990 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 02:20 PM

To be fair, Holland telling Malik something isn't really 100% confirmation and words written in stone.

Has he said this publicly? Holland I mean. Or - not to slight Malik, but - has he said this to any "big names" in the media? I don't mean "Well certainly the expectation is..." I mean that Tatar WILL be one of the 14 forwards.

Genuinely curious. Not because I wanna be all like HAAA SEE THERE WHAT DID I TELL YOU, HOLLAND'S A DIRTY LIARRRRR or whatever. I just really want Tatar to get his piece of whatever that thing is Babs is always talking about. (Pie? Cheese? Pizza?)

(I'm behind on the news. Normally I'd be on top of this. So, apologies if I'm coming off as, like, a total 9/15/2003 n00b.)

From NBC Sports though it looks like they're pointing to St James' tweet as the source of their article: http://prohockeytalk..._medium=twitter

Personally, I'm cynical enough to not consider this to be 100% true until the Wings are officially down to 14 forwards.

#138 Jesusberg

Jesusberg

1st Line All-Star

• Gold Booster
  • 1,710 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 02:54 PM

Pretty cool to read. I'm not entirely sure how I feel about Malik tweeting Tatar that he's going to be on the team. I don't think "unprofessional" is the word I'm looking for here, but there's just something kind if weird about it. I mean, Tatar has been a bit confused, but you'd think he knows more than a local blogger. It's kind of like saying, "Hey man, your girlfriend is going to say 'yes' to your proposal." I dunno - good to read, either way.

As far as eating crow, I'll admit I overreacted at the beginning, but it's also completely logical to assume that he could have been one of the guys to move. When you compare the guys on the bubble, he's one of the few with any trade value. Bert and Sammy don't have much value to other teams, and would likely enforce their NTCs. Emmerton has value as a center (with Helm out) and most of us would like to see Gus in Detroit, not GR. That leaves Eaves and Tootoo, who may not have much value to other teams (but at least one of them is going to have to move - perhaps both once Helm returns). 

My best guess is Helm on LTIR, Gus in GR and Tootoo is moved... then maybe Eaves once Helm returns down the road. Going to be interesting if/when injury issues arise and they want to call Gus up. He's only got two games in the NHL before his waiver eligibility runs out.

Edited by Jesusberg, 15 September 2013 - 03:08 PM.

#139 dat's sick

dat's sick

Fear can hold you prisoner, hope can set you free

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,345 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 03:09 PM

Pretty cool to read. I'm not entirely sure how I feel about Malik tweeting Tatar that he's going to be on the team. I don't think "unprofessional" is the word I'm looking for here, but there's just something kind if weird about it. I mean, Tatar has been a bit confused, but you'd think he knows more than a local blogger. It's kind of like saying, "Hey man, your girlfriend is going to say 'yes' to your proposal." I dunno - good to read, either way.

If Holland actually said those exact words to reporters, I have to believe he's told Tatar that in person. Maybe he had a talk with him to calm him down after this Cleary business.

#140 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,817 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 03:52 PM

@HeleneStJames: Ken Holland: "Tomas Tatar will be one of 14 forwards left standing." #RedWings

OK, fair enough. 

But why sign a guy we don't need and add unnecessary cap space?  

I for one will not eat crow until Daniel Cleary wins the Conn Smythe trophy.  

According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.