• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
unsaddleddonald

So....did Cleary just take Tatar's spot?

Rate this topic

Not sure how many "new" fans are posting in this thread or how many people have not been paying close attention, but....

Babs has always played Vets over rookies, and every time this board freaks out the same way.

This is part of Babs' style, good with the bad kind of thing!

Lets see, what is different in that jpeg, oh yeah one guy's resume is NHL and the other is AHL.

I will let you figure out why that is important!

Forgot to point out that Cleary isn't even the worst forward on the Wings let alone entire NHL.

Edited by Opie

Lets see, what is different in that jpeg, oh yeah one guy's resume is NHL and the other is AHL.

I will let you figure out why that is important!

Forgot to point out that Cleary isn't even the worst forward on the Wings let alone entire NHL.

No kidding.

I didn't realize Cleary now made roster decisions for the Wings too. The scapegoating knows no bounds.

So. Is it safe to assume he never really had any super-tempting offers on the table? And that, in addition to wanting to remain a Wing, he didn't want to face the embarrassing, potentially career-screwing prospect of being released from a PTO? Or is it just that he waited so long that the only thing his non-Holland suitors - who had, perhaps, truly offered him truly tempting deals earlier in the offseason - could offer him by that point in time were PTO dealies?

I guess it's just weird to me that he was all "Well, I deserve more than what Ken offered me, and I've got these great offers from other GMs, so I'm off to try out for the Flyers now, kbai."

Guest Crymson

Tatar has paid his dues, he deserves a roster spot in the top 9. If I were him, I'd ask Kenny for a trade. He'd be a top 6 forward on half the teams in the NHL.

Playing in the AHL does not necessarily qualify as paying one's dues. While I'd prefer to have him in the lineup, it seems we'll need to wait for someone to become injured or to flame out.

I'm confident it'll be Samuelsson.

Tatar has paid his dues, he deserves a roster spot in the top 9. If I were him, I'd ask Kenny for a trade. He'd be a top 6 forward on half the teams in the NHL.

i agree, hes one of my favorite players but he should get traded. it will be tough to see him in another team's jersey but it will be great to see him getting top 6 minutes for an nhl team.

Playing in the AHL does not necessarily qualify as paying one's dues. While I'd prefer to have him in the lineup, it seems we'll need to wait for someone to become injured or to flame out.

I'm confident it'll be Samuelsson.

cleary, sammy, bert. i like his odds.

Sucks to be Tatar and Nyquist right now. You do absolutely everything to earn a spot on the roster, there are 3 forwards injured and you still can't get ahead of players you are clearly better than.

So right now we need either even more forwards to get injured - and be careful what you wish for, it could just as easily be [un-named star player] as Sammy.

OR

We need our bottom 6 to suck so bad that Babs is forced to bring Gus/Tats in. Which means we're probably losing games, which is never good.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hobson%27s_Choice_%28play%29

Sucks to be Tatar and Nyquist right now. You do absolutely everything to earn a spot on the roster, there are 3 forwards injured and you still can't get ahead of players you are clearly better than.

So right now we need either even more forwards to get injured - and be careful what you wish for, it could just as easily be [un-named star player] as Sammy.

OR

We need our bottom 6 to suck so bad that Babs is forced to bring Gus/Tats in. Which means we're probably losing games, which is never good.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hobson%27s_Choice_%28play%29

Yep it's pathetic. These washed up jokes are playing in front of guys like Nyq and Tatar. So much for having the best 3rd line in hockey, we may have the worst

But he wouldn't be a Red Wing

He wouldn't be riding the pine in place of Sammy, Cleary, Tuzzi, Miller, "insert name here".... I get that Babcock likes veterans, but at some point you have to give in to keeping up with other teams and not inserting top 6 kids on the 4th line and bumping an injured Cleary up to the top line. I hope I don't regret renewing Gamecenter.

Yep it's pathetic. These washed up jokes are playing in front of guys like Nyq and Tatar. So much for having the best 3rd line in hockey, we may have the worst

There it is right there. You go from Nyquist-Andersson-Tatar to Cleary-Andersson-Sammy? Can't wait for the "Fire Babcock 2014" thread.

Nah they've played too well last season, so now the veterans deserve a chance to rebound....

I mean seriously, these two have done everything and more and yet they can't get a spot on this team? I am really starting to question some offseason moves .

Seriously......if you had to choose between Cleary and Tatar.....would you really choose Cleary? Really? Really? Cleary is not the worst forward in the league but he shouldn't be playing over Tatar. And if you want to get technical, I'd prefer Cleary over Sammy but it was Cleary's signing THIS year that put Tatar on the bench tomorrow....no matter how you cut it. According to Babs that's just life. According to me that's just bulls***.

Heard the same thing when Flieschman and Matthias left, heard it countless times.

This same argument is had every year when a promising youngster sits the pine to a vet. In fact it happened last summer with these same names.

It is like you guys all of the sudden expected this team to change its philosophy because LGW.com wants the team to do something differently.

Heard the same thing when Flieschman and Matthias left, heard it countless times.

This same argument is had every year when a promising youngster sits the pine to a vet. In fact it happened last summer with these same names.

It is like you guys all of the sudden expected this team to change its philosophy because LGW.com wants the team to do something differently.

I would think the last few years of not going far in the playoffs because of lack of scoring would wake the management up. Its not like Cleary, Bert and Sammy will pull a Jagr and all of the sudden get a second wind.

I would think the last few years of not going far in the playoffs because of lack of scoring would wake the management up. Its not like Cleary, Bert and Sammy will pull a Jagr and all of the sudden get a second wind.

Ya and it's not like they didn't watch nyquist look very good and occasionally dominate on some shifts in the playoffs, or watch Tatar absolutely tear up the AHL playoffs. This is a joke and I do understand everyone's complaints because these are no brainier guys that should be in the lineup and would be in the lineup on every other single team in the league

When Babs says veterans get the nod over rookies, I bet he's referring to Bertuzzi and Sammuelson moreso than Cleary. I wonder if this is more about giving Bertuzzi and Sammuelson a chance to actually play (and justify the contracts that they did not earn last year due to injury), now that they're physically able to be placed in the lineup. I think its realistic and fair for Babs and Holland to say "Bert and Sammy get a crack at establishing themselves because they weren't able to last year, but if there's a slip-up or Babs doesn't think he's getting the production that he expects, than Tatar will be waiting to take that spot"

When Babs says veterans get the nod over rookies, I bet he's referring to Bertuzzi and Sammuelson moreso than Cleary. I wonder if this is more about giving Bertuzzi and Sammuelson a chance to actually play (and justify the contracts that they did not earn last year due to injury), now that they're physically able to be placed in the lineup. I think its realistic and fair for Babs and Holland to say "Bert and Sammy get a crack at establishing themselves because they weren't able to last year, but if there's a slip-up or Babs doesn't think he's getting the production that he expects, than Tatar will be waiting to take that spot"

No, Cleary has some type of blackmail on Babcock. Or at least how he plays Cleary, it would seem that way.

Nyquist has already proven to be a reliable and productive player in the NHL. Tatar did the same in his stint before going back to the AHL. If the veterans were still contributing at a respectable level, then I understand the decision more. It isn't like this is 2008 though where the Wings are loaded with talent and could afford prospects to get overripe. Samuelsson, Bertuzzi and Cleary aren't giving the Red Wings anything in the veteran presence department they don't already have in abundance (Z, Pav, Kronner, now Alfie).

It's not a change in philosophy, so much as sticking to your goal of " icing the best team possible." Does anyone believe the Red Wings are better with Samuelsson and Cleary dressed over Nyquist and Tatar? The philosophy works when you are winning championships, but Holland's insistence on keeping washed-up veterans around at the expense of developed young talent is ridiculous when the team hasn't been out of the second round in four years. What exactly are those veterans providing that is so valuable to the team's success? I'm not asking for the entire farm system to come up -- I just want two players that have earned their spots in the NHL to play because I think it would benefit the Red Wings this season and for the future.

I think that's exactly what Babcock meant by tie goes to the veteran.

It's not like he's locked into these lineups for 82 games. As frustrated as people are with him playing Cleary, remember what he did with Ian White. He's not afraid to sit vets if they're not performing in a way he thinks they should be.