Photo
- - - - -

So....did Cleary just take Tatar's spot?

• Please log in to reply
226 replies to this topic

#141 kipwinger

kipwinger

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,704 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 08:00 PM

OK, fair enough. 

But why sign a guy we don't need and add unnecessary cap space?  

I for one will not eat crow until Daniel Cleary wins the Conn Smythe trophy.  

Haha, I'd imagine even if we caught you slow roasting a crow with stuffing and potatoes in the oven you'd still try to find a way around it.  I suppose it's part of your charm.

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

Get off the high horse.  Not like she was 10."

"Some girls are 17 even though they look 25."

#142 ForzaVerde

ForzaVerde

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 99 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 09:08 PM

I like Cleary, but I don't think he should get Tatar's spot.

Arriba Wings!

#143 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 12:01 AM

I'm hoping against hope that Cleary will return to 2010-2011 Cleary form, or perhaps even 2009 playoffs Cleary form.

#144 Nev

Nev

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,058 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 12:25 AM

I imagine he'll be old and slow and injured for much of the regular season, and the object of much ire on LGW.  Then the playoffs will come and he'll be one of our best players.  Again.

"If I can be totally honest, it's not a lot of guys you get impressed by. Actually, it's no one else but him. From the bench, to see what move he makes -- you're like, 'I wish I could do that.' Sometimes you sit on the bench and just think, 'wow,' and you look over to the other bench and they sit there and shake their heads, too. He has great, great skills. I'm probably not going to play with another player who has the kind of skills he has." Mikael Samuelsson on Pavel Datsyuk

#145 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,087 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 04:21 AM

I don't want to be That Guy, but the fact that Holland's saying "I like Tatar. I think he's a great player. Certainly the expectation is he'll be one of the 14" doesn't necessarily mean he's going to be one of the 14. Same idea with Babs saying, "The best players will play. It's always been that way as long as I've been here." It doesn't necessarily mean the best players will play, and that contracts and salaries and "veteran presence" have no bearing. (It doesn't necessarily mean "it's always been that way" either.) Samulesson will get a spot, etc.

It's kind of admirable that, even in this day and age, people can think a person's word is golden, written in stone, without calculation, entirely open and honest and truthful. I honestly don't mean that in a negative way.

[/prick]

Edited by Dabura, 16 September 2013 - 04:23 AM.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#146 AtomicPunk

AtomicPunk

Nobody rules these streets at night like me...

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,099 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 06:31 AM

I'm not believing anything that's said until I start seeing game day rosters in games that actually count. Until then, it's all just PR.

I am a victim of the science age...the underground.

Feed the Swede! - RETIRED 2012

#147 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,087 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 03:50 PM

So I was thinking.

What if Babs wants Cleary and Tatar Tots on the same team? What if that's his Evil (Secret) Master Plan? Y'know, lighting a competitive fire under Tatar, and maybe even Cleary, to squeeze maximum outputage from him/them.

AAAUUGGHH MY EYES! THE BRILLIANCE IS BLINDING!

Or maybe I'm giving too much credit, or reading too deeply into this.

Edited by Dabura, 17 September 2013 - 03:52 PM.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#148 kipwinger

kipwinger

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,704 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 03:58 PM

So I was thinking.

What if Babs wants Cleary and Tatar Tots on the same team? What if that's his Evil (Secret) Master Plan? Y'know, lighting a competitive fire under Tatar, and maybe even Cleary, to squeeze maximum outputage from him/them.

I thought that was pretty clear straight from the jump?  Cleary wasn't re-signed at the expense of Tatar, no matter what the pessimistic half of LGW thinks.  At 1.75 million, Cleary can be stuck on the fourth line if necessary...and in spite of what anybody says, Cleary is a MUCH better bottom six option than what we've had in the past, or what other teams have in the present. 

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

#149 Echolalia

Echolalia

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,923 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 04:15 PM

I thought that was pretty clear straight from the jump?  Cleary wasn't re-signed at the expense of Tatar, no matter what the pessimistic half of LGW thinks.  At 1.75 million, Cleary can be stuck on the fourth line if necessary...and in spite of what anybody says, Cleary is a MUCH better bottom six option than what we've had in the past, or what other teams have in the present. 

This. Cleary isn't our best top-six option, at least if he plays like he did last year. But he still brings more to the team than several of our bottom line guys. Holland saw an opportunity to bump the least worthwhile forward off the team in favor of Cleary. Someone like Tootoo, Eaves, or Emmerton.

#150 unsaddleddonald

unsaddleddonald

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 748 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 05:16 PM

So I was thinking.

LOL, spare me. EVERY Detroit media outlet was writing about it. For you to never consider the possibility is laughable.

#151 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,087 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 05:37 PM

My impression is the "competitive fire" angle that everyone and his mom has touched on relates mostly to the here and now, i.e. training camp, the preseason, and, ultimately, the question of who will make the team (and who won't). What I'm saying is, what if it doesn't end there? What if Babs is planning on both of them being on the team, and the competition thing (whatever you want to call it) being another instrument to play?

I haven't slept in, like, forever, so it's entirely possible that I am in fact coming off like a dope in saying the above.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#152 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 05:41 PM

This. Cleary isn't our best top-six option, at least if he plays like he did last year. But he still brings more to the team than several of our bottom line guys. Holland saw an opportunity to bump the least worthwhile forward off the team in favor of Cleary. Someone like Tootoo, Eaves, or Emmerton.

Eaves, with his speed, grit, and right-handed shot, not to mention his fully functional body (something that Cleary lacks), is much more valuable than Cleary is.

#153 kipwinger

kipwinger

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,704 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 05:42 PM

Eaves, with his speed, grit, and right-handed shot, not to mention his fully functional body (something that Cleary lacks), is much more valuable than Cleary is.

As last season proved.

#154 ogreslayer

ogreslayer

1st Line All-Star

• HoF Booster
  • 1,974 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 06:24 PM

As last season proved.

I just hope that there's enough value for another team to want to either trade for or claim an Eaves or Tootoo on waivers, let alone a Bert or Sammy if they waive their NTCs, to get their salaries completely off the books. Kenny won't be facing a huge problem from a salary cap standpoint to start the season if Helm is on IR as that hit coming off puts the Wings only ~$200k above the cap & all he has to do is move two bodies.   Once Helm's back though, there's no combination of waiving three players which includes Emmerton (which I think is a valid assumption) where the two non-Emmerton players go unclaimed that works due to the new Wade Redden & 35+ contract rules.  They have to move a salary completely off the books in that case or they're leaving Emmerton on the big club & sending 3 non-35+ players to GR to be cap compliant.  So Kenny needs to find a trading partner before Helm gets back, cross his fingers that another GM puts in a waiver claim when sending someone down (paging Garth Snow, paging Mr. Snow), or possibly the fans in GR get to see a combination of three from Eaves/Tootoo/Miller/Nyquist play in person for the bulk of the season.  Kenny's gonna have to live up to his reputation of being the best in the business once Helm gets healthy, assuming he does.

#155 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,251 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 07:12 PM

LOL, spare me. EVERY Detroit media outlet was writing about it. For you to never consider the possibility is laughable.

It's obvious Kenny and babs wanted dano back so they could have beers and shoot the breeze with him after work and reminisce with Sammy about cups won in the past. For you to not see that is laughable :)

I just hope that there's enough value for another team to want to either trade for or claim an Eaves or Tootoo on waivers, let alone a Bert or Sammy if they waive their NTCs, to get their salaries completely off the books. Kenny won't be facing a huge problem from a salary cap standpoint to start the season if Helm is on IR as that hit coming off puts the Wings only ~$200k above the cap & all he has to do is move two bodies.   Once Helm's back though, there's no combination of waiving three players which includes Emmerton (which I think is a valid assumption) where the two non-Emmerton players go unclaimed that works due to the new Wade Redden & 35+ contract rules.  They have to move a salary completely off the books in that case or they're leaving Emmerton on the big club & sending 3 non-35+ players to GR to be cap compliant.  So Kenny needs to find a trading partner before Helm gets back, cross his fingers that another GM puts in a waiver claim when sending someone down (paging Garth Snow, paging Mr. Snow), or possibly the fans in GR get to see a combination of three from Eaves/Tootoo/Miller/Nyquist play in person for the bulk of the season.  Kenny's gonna have to live up to his reputation of being the best in the business once Helm gets healthy, assuming he does.

Goose only has to play 2 nhl games before he is no longer waiver exempt. So either he plays all year for Detroit or the Griffins, there's no either or.

#156 barabbas16

barabbas16

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 407 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 08:02 PM

As last season proved.

I'm not sure whether you are serious or not.... so I'll go ahead and ask... how did last season prove that Eaves is 'much more valuable than Cleary is'?

#157 PavelValerievichDatsyuk

PavelValerievichDatsyuk

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 467 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 09:38 PM

I don't understand the how people have turned on Eaves. He was away from hockey for over a year with cuncussion problems and battled back. Then last year, the guy played well and I thought he really start to look like he did before the injury by the end of the year. He's got heart and I think it would be a big mistake if he's the odd man out this year as have predicted.

#158 kipwinger

kipwinger

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,704 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 10:26 PM

I'm not sure whether you are serious or not.... so I'll go ahead and ask... how did last season prove that Eaves is 'much more valuable than Cleary is'?

I was being sarcastic.  Cleary is obviously much better than Eaves.  And that's coming from a HUGE Eaves fan. 

I don't understand the how people have turned on Eaves. He was away from hockey for over a year with cuncussion problems and battled back. Then last year, the guy played well and I thought he really start to look like he did before the injury by the end of the year. He's got heart and I think it would be a big mistake if he's the odd man out this year as have predicted.

It's really no knock on Eaves.  Eaves is a good player.  But he's very close to the same type of player as Miller and the Wings just re-signed Miller, so you have to assume that he's in the plans for the foreseeable future.  I love Eaves and have for a while, he does all the gritty stuff that is super important and nobody cares about (pk, shot blocking, etc. etc.).  But so does Miller and he's been re-signed recently so I imagine the management likes him more.  Too bad for Eaves, he's a stud, but he'll land on his feet. 

#159 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 10:56 PM

During the playoffs, Eaves was playing excellent defense, grinding hard, and creating scoring chances. Cleary was falling down, skating slowly, and falling down more.

#160 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,251 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 11:05 PM

During the playoffs, Eaves was playing excellent defense, grinding hard, and creating scoring chances. Cleary was falling down, skating slowly, and falling down more.

I hate cleary as much as the next guy, but despite his obvious lack of legs, Cleary got 4 goals and 10 points in 14 post season games, and 9 goals 15 points in 48 regular season games, while eaves got 1 goal and 3 points in 13 post season games and 2 goals and 8 points in 34 regular season games. 

I don't care how he got his points, goals are goals dirty or not. I hate Cleary cause he is like a rusty de-railed train, but I love how everyone loved homer, and most of homers goals were very reminiscent of clearys goals all year, and everyone gives him slack for how he scored them. That being said I wish we never re-signed cleary