Photo
- - - - -

So....did Cleary just take Tatar's spot?

• Please log in to reply
226 replies to this topic

#161 Echolalia

Echolalia

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,883 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 11:15 PM

During the playoffs, Eaves was playing excellent defense, grinding hard, and creating scoring chances. Cleary was falling down, skating slowly, and falling down more.

All of Eaves excellent playing didn't amount to much though, which is typical for a fourth liner.  Cleary, regardless of how many times he fell or how slowly he was skating, still managed to put up solid numbers in the playoffs, and as per his entire tenure with Detroit, better numbers than Eaves.

Eaves is an effective fourth liner, and I really enjoy having him on the team.  That I think everyone can agree on.

Cleary has been a less than stellar top-9 player, and I would even agree that he was a poor option for the top-six last year.

But we're still comparing a career fourth-liner to someone who has had success regardless of where he's placed in the lineup, and who he's playing against.  Even if he's doing his job poorly, Cleary still brings more upside to the team than Eaves, or any 4th liner.

#162 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,135 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 03:50 PM

sorry to be a spoil sport for all the naysayers...

http://www.mlive.com...aves_lower.html

Tatar has been one of the team's better players in training camp. Holland said Tatar, who is out of AHL options, probably will make the final cut. Tatar isn't satisfied with just being one of the 14 forwards on the roster, he wants to play on a top-two line.

#163 AtomicPunk

AtomicPunk

Nobody rules these streets at night like me...

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,099 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 03:53 PM

If you put Eaves on a line with Datsyuk or Zetterberg, and on the power play, and had him stand in front of the net and had pucks glance off him. or touch the puck before one of them scored, he would have more points than Cleary.

Edited by AtomicPunk, 19 September 2013 - 03:55 PM.

I am a victim of the science age...the underground.

Feed the Swede! - RETIRED 2012

#164 Jesusberg

Jesusberg

1st Line All-Star

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,616 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 04:10 PM

No, he didn't take Tatar's spot. Gosh, you guys are all overreacting.

*deletes previous posts*

Seriously though, good to see him getting some top six time. Would have really preferred to see him play with Mule, but maybe Weiss can set him up for a goal or two. Hoping he does well tonight.

Edited by Jesusberg, 19 September 2013 - 04:17 PM.

#165 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,056 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 04:18 PM

If you put Eaves on a line with Datsyuk or Zetterberg, and on the power play, and had him stand in front of the net and had pucks glance off him. or touch the puck before one of them scored, he would have more points than Cleary.

With his luck with injuries, and Alfredsson's shot? Cringe City, IMHO. I'd rather see Miller get a look.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#166 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 07:10 PM

Welp, Holland just openly said on TV that Tatar will be on the roster. Case closed.

#167 kipwinger

kipwinger

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,628 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 08:29 PM

Welp, Holland just openly said on TV that Tatar will be on the roster. Case closed.

Wasn't the case closed the other day when he said the exact same thing?

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

Get off the high horse.  Not like she was 10."

"Some girls are 17 even though they look 25."

#168 vladdy16

vladdy16

The rest are neophytes.

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 6,168 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 08:34 PM

Yeah, everyone can come in off the ledge now.

Can't wait to read the "Phoenix: I still think it's a hockey market" chapter of Gary Bettman's autobiography. I'm guessing it's going to be chapter 11.

- mjlegend 3/9/2011

#169 GoWings1905

GoWings1905

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 5,240 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 09:39 PM

On the team is a nice start, but that could mean healthy scratch or six minutes per game on the 4th line with Cory Emmerton.

Tatar and Nyquist both are too good not to have roles that are probably otherwise going to be filled by the likes of Samuelsson, Cleary and Bertuzzi. 

"To whom much is given, much is expected."

#170 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 11:13 PM

Wasn't the case closed the other day when he said the exact same thing?

There were still numerous people saying that Tatar was only "probably" going to be on the team.

On the team is a nice start, but that could mean healthy scratch or six minutes per game on the 4th line with Cory Emmerton.

Tatar and Nyquist both are too good not to have roles that are probably otherwise going to be filled by the likes of Samuelsson, Cleary and Bertuzzi. 

The preference for old guys is more Holland than Babcock.

#171 ForzaVerde

ForzaVerde

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 99 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 12:54 AM

Tatar-Weiss-Franzen sounds good.

#172 kipwinger

kipwinger

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,628 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 05:18 PM

And in today's Cleary news, he's back to wearing #71 for the whole season.  He had discussed switching to 15, as the kids at his hockey school had voted for that number, but now he's changing his tune.  Stay tuned for more of the "Dan Cleary is the center of the Universe" show after these messages from your local sponsors. 

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

Get off the high horse.  Not like she was 10."

"Some girls are 17 even though they look 25."

#173 ForzaVerde

ForzaVerde

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 99 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 06:01 PM

And in today's Cleary news, he's back to wearing #71 for the whole season.  He had discussed switching to 15, as the kids at his hockey school had voted for that number, but now he's changing his tune.  Stay tuned for more of the "Dan Cleary is the center of the Universe" show after these messages from your local sponsors. 

Puck has agreed to make a comeback and do a season as Dan Cleary's roommate on Real World Detroit.

#174 unsaddleddonald

unsaddleddonald

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 747 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 07:37 AM

Yeah....Cleary took Tat's 3rd line minutes. And Bertuzzi is in the way of Nyquist playing on the other wing.

http://www.freep.com...ngs-tomas-tatar

"...tie goes to the veteran, not the kid. That's just life."

No, Mike, that's just you....

#175 The Greek

The Greek

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 399 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 07:49 AM

Yeah....Cleary took Tat's 3rd line minutes. And Bertuzzi is in the way of Nyquist playing on the other wing.

http://www.freep.com...ngs-tomas-tatar

"...tie goes to the veteran, not the kid. That's just life."

No, Mike, that's just you....

It's clear, he and Kenny read our posts, and they hate us.

#176 evilzyme

evilzyme

Games a gongshow.

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,095 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 08:25 AM

Don't see how Tatar didn't earn a chance to be slotted in opening night. Busted his ass the past 4 seasons and even rocked out training camp and preseason. Everything the management throws at this kid he just takes it and keeps pushing. I can see how 'veterans' play until they screw up but my lord, what does this kid need to do for Babs to see him as the lethal threat he is?

Pavel Datsyuk - "Pasha" - #13
"Got no fun if you got no puck"
'"I like ladies" - Towards the Lady Byng trophy
"Hannnnnnnnnnk"
"Okay $5 now"

I'm Don Cherry and Danny DeKeyser is my Kadri.

#177 Opie

Opie

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 7,419 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 08:42 AM

Not sure how many "new" fans are posting in this thread or how many people have not been paying close attention, but....

Babs has always played Vets over rookies, and every time this board freaks out the same way.

This is part of Babs' style, good with the bad kind of thing!

"The more I know about people - the better I like my dog." - Mark Twain

"A wise man once told me, ‘Don’t argue with fools. Cause people from a distance can’t tell who is who'." Jay Z, Takeover

"When I was looking for a captain, I wanted a guy with the Red Wings crest tattooed on his chest," said former Detroit coach Jacques Demers, who named Yzerman captain in 1986. "Steve Yzerman was that guy."

“Told him if he wasn't ultra-competitive he couldn't come here. If he didn't bring it every day he couldn't come here, because he was going to hate it if he didn't, dislike the coach and dislike playing here.
“It's real straightforward. If you don't do it right, you're not happy here." Babcock

#178 rrasco

rrasco

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,015 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 09:06 AM

I guess it comes down to this: if Cleary was not on this roster, Tatar would be playing tomorrow.  So in fact, I do believe No-Knees took Tatar's spot.

Kronwalled.net - Keep Yer Head up Kid

MONEY ON THE BOARD: $10/Kronwalling (1), $1/goal by: Nyquist, Tatar, Jurco, Sheahan, disney.com (1), Andersson, Dekeyser, Pulkinnen, Ouellet, or Sproul.  2X MULTIPLIER: disney.com.  CONSOLATION PRIZE: $5/goal by: Datsyuk (3), $3/goal by: Z (1). MOTB TOTAL: $30

#179 fat guy in a maltby jersey

fat guy in a maltby jersey

3rd Line Checker

• Restricted
  • PipPip
  • 366 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 09:23 AM

TcyVQKA.png

#180 Opie

Opie

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 7,419 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 09:31 AM

Lets see, what is different in that jpeg, oh yeah one guy's resume is NHL and the other is AHL.

I will let you figure out why that is important!

Forgot to point out that Cleary isn't even the worst forward on the Wings let alone entire NHL.

Edited by Opie, 01 October 2013 - 09:35 AM.

"The more I know about people - the better I like my dog." - Mark Twain

"A wise man once told me, ‘Don’t argue with fools. Cause people from a distance can’t tell who is who'." Jay Z, Takeover

"When I was looking for a captain, I wanted a guy with the Red Wings crest tattooed on his chest," said former Detroit coach Jacques Demers, who named Yzerman captain in 1986. "Steve Yzerman was that guy."

“Told him if he wasn't ultra-competitive he couldn't come here. If he didn't bring it every day he couldn't come here, because he was going to hate it if he didn't, dislike the coach and dislike playing here.
“It's real straightforward. If you don't do it right, you're not happy here." Babcock