• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
wingedominance13

Cleary re-signs with Detroit, 1 year, $1.75m deal

Rate this topic

I'm sorry, I guess I don't get the anger. We got a player of Cleary's caliber for less than we're paying Tootoo? Even if he plays all season on the fourth line we're better off with this happening. I don't know about the rest of you, but I'd MUCH rather have Cleary in the lineup than Tootoo or Eaves...and now he's the same price.

Good signing.

Ideally, here's my lines.

Z-Dats-Abby

Alfie-Weiss-Franzen

Tatar-Andersson-Nyquist

Cleary-Helm-Miller

Sammy/Bert

Sadly, goodbye Eaves, Tootoo, and Emmerton (unless Helm is still hurt).

I'm sorry, I guess I don't get the anger. We got a player of Cleary's caliber for less than we're paying Tootoo? Even if he plays all season on the fourth line we're better off with this happening. I don't know about the rest of you, but I'd MUCH rather have Cleary in the lineup than Tootoo or Eaves...and now he's the same price.

Good signing.

Ideally, here's my lines.

Z-Dats-Abby

Alfie-Weiss-Franzen

Tatar-Andersson-Nyquist

Cleary-Helm-Miller

Sammy/Bert

Sadly, goodbye Eaves, Tootoo, and Emmerton (unless Helm is still hurt).

Is there some way we can arrange an dog sledding accident for Sammy & keep either Eaves or Tootoo around instead?

Is there some way we can arrange an dog sledding accident for Sammy & keep either Eaves or Tootoo around instead?

I wish Sammy was gone as much as the next guy, but at this point I don't see it...sadly. I really like Eaves and Tootoo, but of the two I'd prefer to keep Eaves. Having said all that, I'm still VERY excited about that lineup.

Let's not forget the playoffs:

# POS PLAYER GP G A P +/- PIM PP SH GW S S%

40 L HENRIK ZETTERBERG 14 4 8 12 3 8 1 0 1 58 6.9

11 R DANIEL CLEARY 14 4 6 10 -1 2 1 0 0 20 20.0

13 C PAVEL DATSYUK 14 3 6 9 2 4 0 0 0 39 7.7

And we just got him for peanuts.

Let's all take a step back and think about the positives of this situation instead of irrationally whining.

Edited by Danielsm

I wish I could fly to Traverse City and shake Dan Cleary's hand.

In this day and age of pro athletes chasing the Big $ at all costs, the guy walked away from millions of dollars, put his ego aside, crawled back to the negotiation table to eat some major crow, all so he could stay with friends, teammates, and an organisation and town that he loves.

Cleary went toe to toe with one of Detroit's all time biggest nemesis, Chris Pronger, he went after Dion Phaneuf, knocking him silly, then getting an assist on the goal. He's scored numerous playoff game winning goals. Even when he's basically duck taped together, he's still finishing checks and jumping into scrums. He is a winner, he is the epitome of a team heart and soul guy, he has hands, grit, and smarts. He is a major contributor at all costs.

$1.75m! Talk about a Hometown Discount!

Totally glad he's back. And frankly, I can't see him really giving a s*** what number is on his jersey, as long as the logo is the Winged Wheel.

Let's not forget the playoffs:

# POS PLAYER GP G A P +/- PIM PP SH GW S S%

40 L HENRIK ZETTERBERG 14 4 8 12 3 8 1 0 1 58 6.9

11 R DANIEL CLEARY 14 4 6 10 -1 2 1 0 0 20 20.0

13 C PAVEL DATSYUK 14 3 6 9 2 4 0 0 0 39 7.7

And we just got him for peanuts.

Let's all take a step back and think about the positives of this situation instead of irrationally whining.

His contributions last post-season have been noted. The issue lies in him taking a roster spot from someone likes Tatar, who at this point, has to be feeling like a pile of garbage. You don't sign a veteran with a wonky knee at the expense of a 22-year-old goal scoring winger.

GURANTEED that Tatar gets traded for picks now. And most likely Tootoo is dropped/demoted (WTF!!!). Only option for a GM who wants to keep everyone he can from last year and still have all the youngsters play in addition to signing two wingers.

So...

Zetterberg-Datsyuk-Abdelkader

Franzen-Weiss-Alfie

I can go with that. That looks promising even though the 1st line is missing a real sniper (Hull, Hossa, etc).

Then this clusterflop.

Sammy-Helm(maybe)-Nyquist/Cleary/Bert

Tootoo/Miller-Andersson-Tatar/Eaves/someone I'm forgetting

I agree with regarding Tatar, he will get traded... same goes for Eaves and Tootoo (which is bad IMO).

It would be nice to pick some DEF... Franson could be nice addition to this team... but will not happen...

In this day and age of pro athletes chasing the Big $ at all costs, the guy walked away from millions of dollars, put his ego aside, crawled back to the negotiation table to eat some major crow, all so he could stay with friends, teammates, and an organisation and town that he loves.

Cleary went toe to toe with one of Detroit's all time biggest nemesis, Chris Pronger, he went after Dion Phaneuf, knocking him silly, then getting an assist on the goal. He's scored numerous playoff game winning goals. Even when he's basically duck taped together, he's still finishing checks and jumping into scrums. He is a winner, he is the epitome of a team heart and soul guy, he has hands, grit, and smarts. He is a major contributor at all costs.

Totally glad he's back. And frankly, I can't see him really giving a s*** what number is on his jersey, as long as the logo is the Winged Wheel.

Edited by Danielsm

I don't see why it's assumed that Tatar (of all people) is going to lose his spot to Cleary. Tatar isn't going anywhere, he can't be sent down and the Wings aren't going to lose him for nothing via waivers. This is mostly going to affect Tootoo and Eaves, and as I've already stated, Cleary is better than both.

This is a positive guys and gals.

Now I would really like to see Franzen and Ericsson (or Kindl and Quincey) for Pietrangelo's rights.

Maybe throw in Tootoo or Eaves to sweeten the deal!

But this is just a pipe dream, I just want to see it because Alex is my fav non-Wing young D-man in the league.

Like many here, I don't mind the term and agree that all things considered, it's a decent signing. It's just the drama of the whole fricking thing! I mean, good lord! And I think it sucks that Cleary lobbied so hard to come back knowing he'd be pushing someone else out of a job. I'll reserve my wrath for when we actually find out who those somebodies are...

Edit: damn double post

Edited by BottleOfSmoke

completely agree. If only our other players were as competitive as Danny. I immediately became his fan when he came here because of his work ethic... still a fan.

Now I would really like to see Franzen and Ericsson (or Kindl and Quincey) for Pietrangelo's rights.

But this is just a pipe dream, I just want to see it because Alex is my fav non-Wing young D-man in the league.

This would be awesome if we had the 7 million to spend on him. Maybe if we dump 9m worth of players and tatar we'll get him?? Lol

So much for seeing the young guns at forward this season... they will be 25 by the time the break in. Holland cites inexperience as a factor in taking vets over kids but they can't gain any without playing time with the big club...

Next year I hope we truly trim the fat and move on from these old guys and give the youth a chance - it is also much more affordable cap-wise. You can have Tatar for 900k or Cleary for 1.75 mill.

Like many here, I don't mind the term and agree that all things considered, it's a decent signing. It's just the drama of the whole fricking thing! I mean, good lord! And I think it sucks that Cleary lobbied so hard to come back knowing he'd be pushing someone else out of a job. I'll reserve my wrath for when we actually find out who those somebodies are...

Edit: damn double post

Emmerton, Eaves, Tootoo, Bert, Sammy, Andersson. They could part with ANYONE, why does adding back Cleary suddenly cost Tatar a spot?

If Holland's plan is to pawn off Tatar/Nyquist for picks then I will be furious - he is supposed to by loyal so he should show some loyalty to prospects that spent way too much time in the AHL paying their dues. The only way I can accept this kind of signing is if we are making a trade for an established Dman.

This would be awesome if we had the 7 million to spend on him. Maybe if we dump 9m worth of players and tatar we'll get him?? Lol

Let's see... Franzen at $3,954,545, Quincey at $3,775,000, Sproul, & Sammy while retaining half of his $3m salary clears up $9,229,545. The Blues get a scorer long term, a couple of transition players in Q & Sammy with contracts that expire at the end of the season, & a stud of a defensive prospect in Sproul. Maybe sweeten the deal with a pick. Worth exploring I think.

Wow! I really expected an LGW meltdown but many of the posts were actually positive. How can you hate a guy that takes a big paycut and a reduced term just so he can stay on the Wings. I think even the Cleary haters (or most of them) have to respect him for this. OK. Maybe not.

I'm glad he's back as long as it doesn't affect Nyquist, Tartar or DeKeyser....

Emmerton, Eaves, Tootoo, Bert, Sammy, Andersson. They could part with ANYONE, why does adding back Cleary suddenly cost Tatar a spot?

For starters, Andersson isn't going anywhere with Helm being injured given he's 4th on the depth chart for centers. Why it might be Tatar over the others is trade value. He simply would have more worth in the trade market than any of the others plus with Bert & Sammy you're dealing with no trade clauses.

Don't know if you meant to quote my post, because nowhere did I specify Tots. I was specifically referring to the fact that we DON'T know who is going to be on the block...

Well, now Tatar is has said that he will not go back to Grand Rapids, and is angry. I have no idea why the Wings are toying with their future to keep around another forward that we didn't need. Tatar probably should have been up LAST YEAR for the playoffs, but they left him down to help the Griffins win an AHL championship.

Ken Holland is too sentimental with his players. At some point you have to cut the cord and do what is best for the team and not for your personal friendships.

This phenomenon has been going on for a while, and I wouldn't call them friendships.

It is just the org philosophy to be loyal to the vets, as an effort to attract more free agents, knowing the Wings will be loyal.

Not saying it is the best or only approach but it is definitely an org philosophy more than Holland and Player X being buddies!