• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
wingedominance13

Cleary re-signs with Detroit, 1 year, $1.75m deal

Rate this topic

This signing doesn't concern me. I like it. My only concern is being stuck with Sammy. He gots to go. Now that we have a legit top 6, Cleary will be back to being a role player in the bottom 6. We need guys like that in the bottom 6 to get it done in the playoffs. Come playoff time the best possible roster will be iced. That best possible roster is better with Cleary.

I'm going to vent my anger in this post and leave it at that. I can't control the team in any way and I have to get over that and just try to not swear in front of my children when a player I think shouldn't be on the team fouls up.

Dan Cleary shouldn't be a Red Wing right now. I don't care how much he loves the organization. I don't care if he got the fictional "hometown discount." This is a business and he got what he got because that is what he is worth in the real world. Teams overpay for UFAs all the time because they think that they will be a cure-all for their problem (Leino, Suter & Parise, etc). Philly almost proved that point the way I understand the situation. The fans on BOTH the Flyers and Wings side were crying/laughing about the deal. "OVERPAYMENT!" they shouted with anger/glee. This is an unbiased assessment of Cleary's worth. His UFA price was too high. So, he took a "discount" and stayed with the Wings. And we talk of loyalty.

KH knows he is over the player limit and signed a player. That is not a good environment for the other forwards. Don't get me wrong, there should be competition in camp and players shouldn't be under the impression that they have a guranteed spot on the 3rd or 4th lines. I shouldn't be able to tell you who will be on the 3rd and 4th lines right now and neither should Holland and Babcock. But for some reason, I can fill 2 of those 6 slots right now. Sammy and Cleary.

No 3rd or 4th liner should have an NTC. NTCs should be for top tier guys so they will be not be uprooted by their org. and moved to Winnepeg so their previous team can get some young talent and do a rebuild. The majority of the 3rd and 4th lines in this organization with this cap should be reserved for youth. Guys being brought up from GR to fill in for injuries and during other 3rd and 4th liner slumps. This is the biggest flaw with Sammy's contract. The price was decent and length is OK. He was OK in VAN. Good enough to put with the Sedins on occasion. The Wings needed a righty and knew what kind of player he is. Not a bad signing. Better than the Cleary signing IMO. We know Cleary is on the decline and still signed him. But now we need players (older players) to leave and make room for youth (Tatar, Nyquist) and they can't be moved.

At least two of these things WILL happen:

- Bert dropped

- Tootoo dropped to GR/traded

- Tatar traded

- Nyquist (Datsyuk 2.0) plays in GR until an injury

- Eaves traded (EDIT: Forgot him)

IMO, if I could, I would get rid of Sammy and Cleary. It won't happen. So we are left with the above scenarios. In all honesty, the thing I don't want to happen will most likely happen. Tootoo will be traded and Nyquist will play in GR. If Helm continues to have issues, we MIGHT not lose Tatar to a trade. But if Helm plays, Tatar is gone. IMO the Wings have 3 NHL-caliber players that have had playing time that they can get offers for on the block: Emmerton, Nyquist, and Tatar. Emmerton will be in GR, and I think Nyquist is too good to be traded after last season. That leaves Tatar to be offered up to make room for Cleary and Sammy, following Tootoo being dealt to NSH for picks. That's how it has to be now.

On top of it all, we get older, smaller, softer, and slower. And we get to play in the East.

Ok, I'm done. In Kenny I trust... I guess.

Edited by Wings_Dynasty

Guys like Jurco, Pulks, Jarnkrok must see this and realize no matter how amazing they play they won't see the NHL anytime soon. There is little incentive at this point for the kids to work hard because there is not much to earn right now other than the love of griffins fans.

Yes, they might just ask for a trade tomorrow...

Cleary signing for one year is fine. He was one of our better players in the playoffs and personally I couldnt care less how he does in the regular season. Also people always over rate prospects. It's a good move for this year IMO.

I have always been a strong supporter of the Wings management. Now I am seriously questioning their judgement? Why sign Cleary? They already are $750,000 or so over the cap. They had options, but none were very bad. Worst case they send Nyquist down if everyone was healthy. As it turns out now, they are $2.5 million over the cap and now have another player to be concerned with. What a debacle.

Yes, they might just ask for a trade tomorrow...

Cleary signing for one year is fine. He was one of our better players in the playoffs and personally I couldnt care less how he does in the regular season. Also people always over rate prospects. It's a good move for this year IMO.

EVERY superstar was at one point a prospect. Its like opening up a pack of hockey cards and getting a really rare one - you don't know until you give it a try. Holland just seems reluctant to try these kids out and give them a true shot - you and I don't know their true potential until they get a chance to grow.

It makes me laugh that some people actually think we are gonna lose Tatar because of signing Cleary for 1 year, when we have the likes of Tootoo, Emmerton, Eaves, and Samuelsson on the roster. Get real people.

Well first off, Emmerton's not going anywhere this season until Helm proves he's healthy. As for the rest, if you were another GM in the league & Ken Holland calls you about making a trade right now, are you going to be more inclined to go after Tootoo, Eaves, or Sammy or are you going to say, "Kenny, I'm more interested in your asking price for that Nyquist or Tatar kid." knowing he has to clear space in just a few weeks? Now I don't think Kenny will trade either one but the possibility does exist given that the trade market for those two will exist while I have doubts on the others, especially since Sammy will have veto power with his NTC. Not a laughable idea imo, it's a possible one. That odds may not be high but it is still possible.

Well first off, Emmerton's not going anywhere this season until Helm proves he's healthy. As for the rest, if you were another GM in the league & Ken Holland calls you about making a trade right now, are you going to be more inclined to go after Tootoo, Eaves, or Sammy or are you going to say, "Kenny, I'm more interested in your asking price for that Nyquist or Tatar kid." knowing he has to clear space in just a few weeks? Now I don't think Kenny will trade either one but the possibility does exist given that the trade market for those two will exist while I have doubts on the others, especially since Sammy will have veto power with his NTC. Not a laughable idea imo, it's a possible one. That odds may not be high but it is still possible.

They need to shed salary more than clear roster spots. Waivers can cover roster spots. Trading Tatar does not help in terms of shedding salary. It is not going to happen. No chance.

It makes me laugh that some people actually think we are gonna lose Tatar because of signing Cleary for 1 year, when we have the likes of Tootoo, Emmerton, Eaves, and Samuelsson on the roster. Get real people.

You may laugh, but if we can't find trading partners for trades we've ALREADY TRIED TO DO, and we need to get under the cap than Tatar is the only realistic option trade wise to free up space. Otherwise we're hoping teams pick up our 4th liners on waivers which won't happen as there are already a ton of unsigned 3rd/4th liners.

It's not funny, but it's a very likely option so I'd chill the attitude for now.

They need to shed salary more than clear roster spots. Waivers can cover roster spots. Trading Tatar does not help in terms of shedding salary. It is not going to happen. No chance.

Yeah, because package trades with multiple players never happen. "OK you want Tatar, the price is that you also take Tootoo off my hands". Certainly 100% completely impossible.

Obviously, you're right that we have all these other problems that are more of a concern than 1 year, $1.75mil for Cleary.

But those other deals were already in place. There's absolutely zero certainty that anyone is taking 22 or 37 off our hands. Knowing that, how do you compound the problem by adding Cleary back into the mix? There's just no upside to the move. The potential "good" is that Cleary's knees don't give out, and he stays healthy enough to give you 20 goals in a 3rd line or spot 2nd line role. The potential (and more likely) bad is that you block the progress of Nyquist, Tatar, Andersson, or the next young guy from GR, for a guy that may become a sunk cost if he continues to regress.

You may laugh, but if we can't find trading partners for trades we've ALREADY TRIED TO DO, and we need to get under the cap than Tatar is the only realistic option trade wise to free up space. Otherwise we're hoping teams pick up our 4th liners on waivers which won't happen as there are already a ton of unsigned 3rd/4th liners.

It's not funny, but it's a very likely option so I'd chill the attitude for now.

But nobody has been making moves over the summer. Once free agency settled down that was it. Everyone is waiting for camp and preseason to see where they are. That is when you will see moves get made.

Yeah, because package trades with multiple players never happen. "OK you want Tatar, the price is that you also take Tootoo off my hands". Certainly 100% completely impossible.

You have to keep in mind that such a trade will deminish what what we get in return. Even though they're getting more players, the other team would actually be helping us by taking on our bad contract(s).

I swear, sometimes it seems like this team is run as if it's a social club. Judging by holland's comments, it sounds like cleary will will get an extension next summer. I think this is a bad move from a morale standpoint as well as a development standpoint.

Edited by The Greek

Guest Crymson

By no means am I comparing the 2 men, but many think Brian Burke has some screws loose...Just sayin.

That would be 1 helluva throw - considering Crymson lives in Colorado.

I could shoot it out of a railgun, but the recoil would destroy my neighborhood.

I could shoot it out of a railgun, but the recoil would destroy my neighborhood.

Sounds like your neighborhood is a bit destroyed for real, eh? Hope you and yours are all safe.

Vancouver's Team 1040 says Alfie may take #24, tells Cleary to keep 11.

Edit: Keep in mind this is an Olympic year condensed schedule, plus the numerous Wings playing in the tournament. Wings will be going down with injury's. Nyquist and Tatar are going to see plenty of quality ice time, and Cleary will be seen as a fortuitous signing after all, and boys from GR will still get plenty of NHLgames in.

Edited by T.Low

I have to think Holland has some deal in place, more or less. For all we know, he could've reached some kind of verbal agreement in principle a month ago and he and the would-be partner have just been waiting to see if something better doesn't come along.

Or maybe he really is improvising. In which case...well, honestly? That's kinda cool. Bad business and all that, maybe. But also kinda cool.

Or not.

Whatever.