267 replies to this topic

#201 e_prime

e_prime

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,407 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 09:39 AM

Cleary related camp news...

"@AnsarKhanMLive: Cleary replaces Bertuzzi on line with Andersson and Nyquist. Bertuzzi replaces Jurco on line with Sheahan and Tatar. Jurco-Jarnkrok-Ferraro"

I'm okay with the CAN line.

(AtomicPunk @ February 4, 2010 - 12:16AM)

Imma let you finish, and your cap numbers are all good and all that, but imma let Kenny figure it out. Kenny's cap numbers were the best cap numbers this year.

#202 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 10:21 AM

So I guess it's true that Babs was/is considering playing Cleary with Z and D:

http://www.mlive.com...ed_his_hea.html

He's talking about training camp lines.

#203 ogreslayer

ogreslayer

1st Line All-Star

• HoF Booster
  • 1,934 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 10:38 AM

He's talking about training camp lines.

Which of course can in no way, shape, or form can be seen as a leading indicator of what the organization may want to see during the season.  Just not possible.

Money on the Board 2014: $5 per series, $5 per sweep, $5 per Kronwalling, $10 per Marchand Kronwalling, $1 per Zetterberg game, $1 per 2013 Calder Cup roster player goal

#204 Dabura

Dabura

Cake Eater

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,073 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 11:26 AM

Which of course can in no way, shape, or form can be seen as a leading indicator of what the organization may want to see during the season.  Just not possible.

You know what'd be cool? If training camp had any kind of bearing on the actual season. How has no one thought of this?!

Don't Toews me, bro!

#205 ogreslayer

ogreslayer

1st Line All-Star

• HoF Booster
  • 1,934 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 11:28 AM

You know what'd be cool? If training camp had any kind of bearing on the actual season. How has no one thought of this?!

We should get a message to Kenny & Babs right now about how revolutionary of a change that could be!

Money on the Board 2014: $5 per series, $5 per sweep, $5 per Kronwalling, $10 per Marchand Kronwalling, $1 per Zetterberg game, $1 per 2013 Calder Cup roster player goal

#206 rick zombo

rick zombo

Grit

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,552 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 11:33 AM

Am I the only one who hates the idea of 2 or three guys clearing wiavers and going to GRs? Lat time I checked they had a bit of a roster crunch too. This waiver wave won't just affect the Red Wings roster, but may end up sending some decent prospect like Tverdon to Toledo. I don't see that as being anywhere close to a cool thing.

"In Detroit, every day is a good day to win"

#207 Dabura

Dabura

Cake Eater

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,073 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 11:35 AM

I'm actually pretty ok with ZDAbdelkader. If he - Abdelkader - can become a power-forward, or even just a decent Homer replacement, I think our top line will terrorize the East.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#208 ogreslayer

ogreslayer

1st Line All-Star

• HoF Booster
  • 1,934 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 11:56 AM

I'm actually pretty ok with ZDAbdelkader. If he - Abdelkader - can become a power-forward, or even just a decent Homer replacement, I think our top line will terrorize the East.

And from all reports from yesterday's camp action, Abby looked really good in that role.  I wouldn't be surprised to see him wind up centering a line instead depending on what roster moves are made to get roster/cap compliant i.e. moving down to center the 3rd or 4th if Emmerton is still let go while Helm's out.  That's why I wouldn't dismiss seeing a Hank-Dats-Clears, Hank-Dats-Bert, or even Hank-Dats-Sammy line at some point during the season.

#209 Dabura

Dabura

Cake Eater

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,073 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 12:14 PM

I like ZDCleary, in theory.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#210 Nev

Nev

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,973 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 12:23 PM

Honestly, I thought Abdelkader did a realgud job on the top line in the last month of the season.  He caused so many turnovers with his forechecking, and went straight to the front of the net once we had the puck.  He wasn't always rewarded with a goal or assist, but he was a key component in Z + Dats heating up down the stretch..

What was frustrating was his poor shooting and passing, but then again if he had a set of hands like Bertuzzi he'd be a premier power forward, rather like a young Bertuzzi.

Edited by Nev, 13 September 2013 - 12:24 PM.

"If I can be totally honest, it's not a lot of guys you get impressed by. Actually, it's no one else but him. From the bench, to see what move he makes -- you're like, 'I wish I could do that.' Sometimes you sit on the bench and just think, 'wow,' and you look over to the other bench and they sit there and shake their heads, too. He has great, great skills. I'm probably not going to play with another player who has the kind of skills he has." Mikael Samuelsson on Pavel Datsyuk

#211 Dabura

Dabura

Cake Eater

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,073 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 12:55 PM

Babs made a good point: 26 is about the age when players tend to really come into their own. Or did he say 34? Can't remember.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#212 ogreslayer

ogreslayer

1st Line All-Star

• HoF Booster
  • 1,934 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 01:12 PM

Honestly, I thought Abdelkader did a realgud job on the top line in the last month of the season.  He caused so many turnovers with his forechecking, and went straight to the front of the net once we had the puck.  He wasn't always rewarded with a goal or assist, but he was a key component in Z + Dats heating up down the stretch..

What was frustrating was his poor shooting and passing, but then again if he had a set of hands like Bertuzzi he'd be a premier power forward, rather like a young Bertuzzi.

He really did seem to "get it" near the end of the season & into the playoffs imo.  What I remember is seeing him get knocked on his face less & less from all the hacking in front of the net and being able to maintain a presence like he hadn't been able to do when he was first put in the top 6.  Based on that, his showing at the World's, & early reports on how he's looking in camp, I can honestly say I'm really comfortable with him in that role.

#213 Playmaker

Playmaker

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 994 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 01:45 PM

Babs made a good point: 26 is about the age when players tend to really come into their own. Or did he say 34? Can't remember.

Crosby would still be in the minors had he been drafted by the Wings.

#214 The Greek

The Greek

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 382 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 01:52 PM

No, he would be on the third line, assigned to a defensive-forward role. Meanwhile, cleary would be on the top line with pav and z.

#215 Wings_Dynasty

Wings_Dynasty

The Greatest Ever

• HoF Booster
  • 3,773 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 01:59 PM

You know what's messed up, he probably would have spent a season in GR with the Wings.

"I think a tough team, a team that sticks together, is a lot better than leaving the onus on one guy to take care of business." - Brendan Shanahan

It still would be nice to have that one guy. (Jordin Tootoo, wish granted)

#216 Wings_Dynasty

Wings_Dynasty

The Greatest Ever

• HoF Booster
  • 3,773 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 02:09 PM

No, he would be on the third line, assigned to a defensive-forward role. Meanwhile, cleary would be on the top line with pav and z.

From the fake Freep:

Said Kenny Holland of the highly touted Canadian 18 year old, "Well, we like our team right now. The kid has a lot of potential and we think that he needs to find his legs in Grand Rapids before joining our club. We have a good 3rd line options with Drapes and Jason Williams, with Mark Mowers able to fill in there too. We just don't think he is on an NHL-calibre level like those guys are right now... we like our team. Say, have you seen the new guy we just signed? His name is Dan Cleary. He could play on the 3rd line too. Look out for him. He's a gamer and at no point in the future do I see him being a polarizing figure and keeping young future Wings like Sidney Crosby off the roster."

Edited by Wings_Dynasty, 13 September 2013 - 02:14 PM.

"I think a tough team, a team that sticks together, is a lot better than leaving the onus on one guy to take care of business." - Brendan Shanahan

It still would be nice to have that one guy. (Jordin Tootoo, wish granted)

#217 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 02:37 PM

After all, the system that Holland and Babcock run has persistently placed the Wings at the bottom of the standings. We should be furious. Say, where are all those lottery picks? We're getting robbed!

While none of us like this signing, the simple fact is that Holland, Babcock, and all of the team's veterans wanted Cleary back on the roster. When that's the case with a player, he's going to be brought back if at all possible.

Edited by Crymson, 13 September 2013 - 02:39 PM.

#218 DeGraa55

DeGraa55

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,043 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 03:54 PM

After all, the system that Holland and Babcock run has persistently placed the Wings at the bottom of the standings. We should be furious. Say, where are all those lottery picks? We're getting robbed!

While none of us like this signing, the simple fact is that Holland, Babcock, and all of the team's veterans wanted Cleary back on the roster. When that's the case with a player, he's going to be brought back if at all possible.

That's what happens when emotions get involved with business. Just because some people wanted him back doesn't mean it was the right decision.

#219 rrasco

rrasco

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,874 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 04:22 PM

I'm sure they would all love Yzerman back on the team too.  Does it make sense though?

Kronwalled.net - Keep Yer Head up Kid

MONEY ON THE BOARD: $10/Kronwalling, $1/goal by: Nyquist, Tatar, Jurco, Sheahan, Glendening, Andersson, Dekeyser, Pulkinnen, Ouellet, or Sproul.  2X MULTIPLIER: Glendening.  MOTB TOTAL: $0

#220 joesuffP

joesuffP

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,800 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 04:53 PM

Gotta love Cleary. Great asset when he's used in the right capacity. Having a fourth line of Miller-Helm-Cleary is deadly. So many line options for this team just wish we could trim the fat without losing anybody of value. Sammy, Bert, Eaves, Tootoo and Emmerton could all go without making us a worse team