• Please log in to reply
267 replies to this topic

#221 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,059 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 05:27 PM

Am I the only one who hates the idea of 2 or three guys clearing wiavers and going to GRs? Lat time I checked they had a bit of a roster crunch too. This waiver wave won't just affect the Red Wings roster, but may end up sending some decent prospect like Tverdon to Toledo. I don't see that as being anywhere close to a cool thing.

Agreed. But more because I just friggin' want to see these guys as full-time Wings already!

[/selfish]

Oh, wait, you're talking about non-prospects?

Don't Toews me, bro!

#222 larionov_8

larionov_8

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 433 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 08:04 PM

To help ease the forward logjam, perhaps the Wings would consider playing Weiss on a third line temporarily (or Mule, even), while Helm is on IR, making Emmerton more expendable.

E.g. 
Abby - Dats - Mule
Cleary - Z - Aflie
Tatar - Weiss - Bert
Miller - Andy - Eaves
+ Sammy, Tootoo

Emmerton, Gus in minors (for now)

Not sure if that'd get the wings under the player limit or not, but if so it might give them time to make moves, without giving up players too soon. Inevitably there will be more injuries so ideally they hold onto as many bodies as possible.  

#223 Nhurdi

Nhurdi

• PipPipPip
  • 739 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 08:31 PM

There is no guessing here my friend. Yeah we not be a GM or a head coach, but we have two eyes, and we understand hockey.

You don't need a crystal ball to see that this guy does cannot skate, cannot shoot, etc., to the point that he makes us better.

I understand hockey and don't share the same opinion as you, it's just your opinion which is shared by some but not all. 

I think you meant to say he doesn't make us better. But my counter point to that would be that he was second in scoring in the playoffs last year. People who can't skate or shoot don't outscore Pavel Datsyuk.

#224 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,059 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 07:55 AM

Duff: Wings lack gritty forward

Pro-Cleary piece.

He makes a good point: take away Cleary, and how much getter-done grit do we really have, especially come the postseason grind? And, as much as people hate the idea of Cleary playing in the top six...again, where is the grit there? Abdelkader. Maybe Weiss. Maybe Franzen, but, come on.

I have to assume this is what Holland's referring to when he says Cleary makes us better. I mean, yeah, the leadership stuff is nice and all - but the tough, gritty, net-front element is something we're sorely lacking. Which is weird, because we have so many bottom-six roleplayers.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#225 The Greek

The Greek

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 399 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 10:58 AM

I understand hockey and don't share the same opinion as you, it's just your opinion which is shared by some but not all. 

I think you meant to say he doesn't make us better. But my counter point to that would be that he was second in scoring in the playoffs last year. People who can't skate or shoot don't outscore Pavel Datsyuk.

We should all know by know that past performance does not necessarily have a bearing on future performance. Franzen is exhibit A. Cleary is past his prime. Every season, he is going to lose a step. Also, his injury history causes me to doubt cleary's ability to stay healthy over the course of a full season. Even if cleary does make the team better, I feel like this signing was pretty myopic. Regardless of his play, cleary will affect the ice time of Tatar and nyquist, thus hindering their development. In order for the signing to be justified, cleary will have to replicate his performance from the Blackhawks series, and the wings will have to make a legitimate run.

Edited by The Greek, 14 September 2013 - 01:04 PM.

#226 Jedi

Jedi

Spell Forged - Unparalleled Quality

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 9,806 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 01:36 PM

Because I know everyone was curious...

Daniel Cleary confirmed he will wear #71 this season; Alfie will stick with #11

http://twitter.com/D...947255598059520

snyoep.jpg
"I am the sword in the darkness... I am the watcher on the walls...
I am the shield that guards the realms of men..."

#227 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,159 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 02:05 PM

We should all know by know that past performance does not necessarily have a bearing on future performance. Franzen is exhibit A. Cleary is past his prime. Every season, he is going to lose a step. Also, his injury history causes me to doubt cleary's ability to stay healthy over the course of a full season. Even if cleary does make the team better, I feel like this signing was pretty myopic. Regardless of his play, cleary will affect the ice time of Tatar and nyquist, thus hindering their development. In order for the signing to be justified, cleary will have to replicate his performance from the Blackhawks series, and the wings will have to make a legitimate run.

Franzens performance has never deteriorated, and his point totals have been very good, playoff performance is a little different, but you can't expect any player to play at the level he did for those three years every year, it's nice to dream, but it hasn't happened. He had a much better supporting cast back then. Please show me one stat from the regular season that has dipped, and I will agree with you. Franzen at 33/34 is a much different story than Cleary at 34. Cleary's knees are shot. Franzen is still producing just as well as he did before and his stats are right in line with where they always have been. All things considered playing with Weiss and Alfie should boost his point totals this year as well.

#228 The Greek

The Greek

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 399 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 02:37 PM

Franzens performance has never deteriorated, and his point totals have been very good, playoff performance is a little different, but you can't expect any player to play at the level he did for those three years every year, it's nice to dream, but it hasn't happened. He had a much better supporting cast back then. Please show me one stat from the regular season that has dipped, and I will agree with you. Franzen at 33/34 is a much different story than Cleary at 34. Cleary's knees are shot. Franzen is still producing just as well as he did before and his stats are right in line with where they always have been. All things considered playing with Weiss and Alfie should boost his point totals this year as well.

Sorry, I should have clarified. You and I are in complete agreement. When I referred to franzen, I was specifically speaking about his playoff performances from '08 and '09.

#229 GoWings1905

GoWings1905

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 5,242 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 03:23 PM

Going to be weird seeing Cleary in 71. Fitting conclusion to this entire saga.

Did he choose 71 because his knees are that old?

"To whom much is given, much is expected."

#230 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,159 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 03:30 PM

Sorry, I should have clarified. You and I are in complete agreement. When I referred to franzen, I was specifically speaking about his playoff performances from '08 and '09.

Ok, I just kinda get annoyed at how many people constantly knock the guy like his performance has drastically gone down in the past couple years, playoffs I tend to agree though. FYI I wish Abby could be more like Franzen, able to score 20-30 goals, and  be responsible defensively 

#231 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 03:36 PM

Thanks to this signing, my next three weeks will be filled with trepidation rather than excitement.

Going to be weird seeing Cleary in 71. Fitting conclusion to this entire saga.

Did he choose 71 because his knees are that old?

Hahaha. Good one.

Franzen's 2010 playoffs were pretty darned good also. Even before his explosion in game four against San Jose, he was averaging a point per game.

#232 Rivalred

Rivalred

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 7,263 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 04:02 PM

Wonder how Cleary fans will alter their jersey.... What a debacle
D-Fence Avatar Win-O-Meter 8-1

#233 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,059 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 04:38 PM

Wonder how Cleary fans will alter their jersey....

Change the name to Alfredsson?

OHHH DISS

Don't Toews me, bro!

#234 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,059 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 04:49 PM

So apparently Simon Gagne is talking s*** on Cleary or something.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#235 Hey man nice shot!

Hey man nice shot!

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 422 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 04:51 PM

So apparently Simon Gagne is talking s*** on Cleary or something.

give us a link 

#236 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,059 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 04:56 PM

Wait, my bad. He's talking s*** on the Flyers.

Gagne on Flyers' Cleary pursuit: 'It was like a slap in the face'

*talking s*** on about

Holy crap am I not with it today.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#237 Hey man nice shot!

Hey man nice shot!

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 422 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 04:56 PM

Wait, my bad. He's talking s*** on the Flyers.

Gagne on Flyers' Cleary pursuit: 'It was like a slap in the face'

yes, it is a business in the pay check writer's eyes.

#238 kylee

kylee

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,455 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 05:48 PM

Cleary to wear #71. He's our Evgeni Malkin.

#239 Hey man nice shot!

Hey man nice shot!

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 422 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 08:08 AM

Now that the dust has cleared on this subject i want to give you my thoughts on why cleary was resigned. We all know that holland is a loyal guy, and i hear cleary is very persuasive:) http://www.youtube.c...h?v=yhECTE2-Oqc  Just picture danno being the one on stage the other day when he met with kenny holland and mike babcock.   lmao

#240 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,159 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 08:51 PM

I just noticed this... Cleary got a NTC on his contract...